FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Inexpensive Theater Costume Ideas Help!

Author Topic: Inexpensive Theater Costume Ideas Help!
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so we're going to put on this drama at our church. I'm writing it and am in charge of costume design.

I need about five hooded cloaks, similar to Fellowship cloaks, in a brown gray or other dull color.

Of course, I can make them myself. It's an easy pattern to sew, but as yet I can't find material less than say, 4-7 dollar a yard. Each cloak takes between 5 and 6 yds of fabric depending on width and the actor's height. That's a lot of fabric! I have no budget. Zero. All of this is coming out of my pocket or from donations.

I also need satin tunics (I have a supply of costume weight white satin that may see me through, that's not as critical), swords, and chains. Like, chains you would chain someone up with, shackles or whatever. Not lightweight silver chain, I was thinking the black iron type. Doesn't have to be real, just has to look real from stage.

As I'm new to drama production, what does one do when one has a very limited budget but wants to put on a good show? I've already been to the thrift store looking for old capes or even old bedspreads I could cut up for cloaks, but nothing doing.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Unbleached muslin is your friend.

It's cheap and you can dye it any color you want.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Isn't it a bit thin? I've never worked with it. I don't want any light to show through the cloaks and they will be back lit some.

I will check into it though - I know of a place where I can buy fabric 40% off if I purchase the entire bolt (which I'd need) so I'll check their price on muslin. Thanks!

Anything else? I know we have folks with experience in theater here? Anyone? I'm getting desperate. : [Angst]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried soliciting donated material from local fabric shops? If they can get rid of some fabric that's not selling as well as expected, and get a tax deduction . . .

And with any luck, the fabric they want to get rid of WON'T be some atrocious floral or day-glow print. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's too thin add a lining of the same material. I buy it by the bolt for 90 cents a yard, so double thick is still pretty cheap.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Cool, dkw.

Rivka, no because usually the fabric they are wanting to get rid of is prints, because prints go in and out of style much quicker than solids. And I need solids. They don't all have to match, so long as they are all solid, dull colors. I could have half of them in gray and half in brown, for ex. But, it's hard to find end-of-bolts in quantities large enough for one cloak.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
End of bolts, even prints, might be useful in allowing triple-thickness - Put the print between two layers of died muslin to help keep light out. Print should be invisible that way. First thing I learned in theater - turn down nothing [Smile] .

For chains, there are plastic decorative chains for hanging plants at hardware stores. If you want the weight and sound, get silver chain by the foot and paint it black with Rustoleum (sticks well to metal).

Swords - lathes with a point added painted silver work, although it's pretty obvious what they are from the audience.

Good luck.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. My mom managed, on multiple occasions, to get lots of solid-colored cloth donated for our costumes. I'll have to ask her about it.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
Talk to your local theatre companies (particularly the community theatre ones). They might have advice, and some are even willing to rent out their costumes, either for free or a small fee.
You could also use white fabric (maybe sheets?) and dye it brown using tea or coffee or something.
And ask the cast members if they have any random fabric lying around.

Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Try Army-Navy stores, thrift shops, or Goodwill for blankets, then cut and sew.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Well, I'm just too picky I'm afraid. The muslin isn't going to work because it isn't going to drape like I want.

We're a very small church, and the actors will be about five feet away from the first row, so they need to look good up close.

The blanket idea is probably a good one, especially if I could get fleece blankets. I hadn't thought of army/navy stores.

I'm going to go to the church elders with my hand out. [Wink] I'm going to beg the congregation for money.

It's my first ever script that will be produced on stage. My first ever involvement with this type of project. I really want things to be nice, so I'll go the extra yard (no pun intended) to get the material I want. If I have to use some of my income from my Ebay exploits for it, I will.

Speaking of, I'm going to check ebay for blankets and material.

Annie Mayhem
Member # 6203

- posted      Profile for Annie Mayhem   Email Annie Mayhem         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found several places that carry discount fabric online -- not sure how helpful they'd be to you, though:

Fabric.com. Clearance fabric for $1.95/yard:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/phoenixtextiles/deals---steals-everything-s--1-95.html

American Science and Surplus has 6' narrow strips of white fake fur for $1.50:
http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=3032&cartLogFrom=Search%20%2D%20Category%20Filter&CFID=1512753&CFTOKEN=16775771

Fashion Fabrics has several types for $1.99/yd, but their web site is a pain to navigate:
http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/home/catalog_items.cfm?TypID=16&ViewBy=Types

If you have a local Renfaire or chapter of the Society for Creative Anachronism in your area, they might be willing to lend or rent costumes, too.

-=s=-

Posts: 21 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle,
in ancient times, people who were not wealthy would just patch together any material they found. You could just go to the Salvation Army, or ask for old clothes to be donated to the church.(they probably are, anyway) Match the most compatible colors, and sew them together.

Milk cartons, the half gallon size, can be collected, and painted to look like bricks or rock walls. Any 3-D structure.

Plastic milk jugs are endlessly useful, and can be cut apart to form all kinds of shapes and containers.

Is there a place that uses wood palettes near you? You can usually get them for free, and, when stood on end, they can be used as scenery holders, like trees or shelters, and moved easily to change scenes.

Felt is cheap, and great for belts and other accessories that can look good with out having to function.

That is a start.

Liz

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.