FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Writers Assigned to Ender's Game

Author Topic: New Writers Assigned to Ender's Game
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cinescape.com/0/Editorial.asp?aff_id=0&obj_id=40790&this_cat=Movies&action=page
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The project is one close to the heart of one of the writers. "My parents gave me the book when I was a kid, and it is the reason I fell in love with science fiction and is somewhat responsible for what I am doing for a career," said Dan Harris to Variety.
news like that makes me happy. [Smile]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't it just? [Big Grin]
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought OSC was gonna adapt it?
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
He did. Now the Hollywood types get to take his script and do stuff to it. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly Changes Writers Can Do:

Replace the Hive Queen with The 'Aliens' alien.

Song and Dance scene before the first BattleRoom game.

Keep Poke alive, send her to battle school to help with the romantic interest, and spark jealousy in Petra.

Replace the Fantasy Game with Halo.

The 'game' Ender plays while with Mazer is now Space Invaders.

Ender steals an escape pod and runs away, meeting up with Valentine on Earth.

Lightsabers. Lots of them.

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't OSC hate X2 for some reason?
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bmeaker
Member # 4443

- posted      Profile for bmeaker   Email bmeaker         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.frescopictures.com/movies/ender/endersgame_update.html
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2003-05-12.shtml

Well, here's the link...and here's what we were trying to remember that he said about X2. [Smile] That last line is especially nice, though not necessarily directed at the writers.

[Wink]

quote:
Speaking of X2, the X-Men sequel, what is there to say? It never lost my attention, but it also never won my heart. At the end, when one of the good guys died -- an absolutely unnecessary and meaningless death, too -- several scenelets were devoted to getting all mournful about this character's "sacrifice." I kept waiting for somebody to say, "If (unnamed character) could part a flood and lift a ship from outside, why not lift it from inside and not die?"

But the only place where that question got asked was in the audience.

The truth is, if you're a fan of this kind of thing, you've already seen it by now, and if you're not particularly fond of comic-books-made-into-huge-budget-special-effects-extravaganzas, then there's no reason to think this one will spark any unexpected interest. I'm glad these actors all got paid, but somewhere along the line, isn't somebody in charge of connecting these films to reality, at least now and then?

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as writers are the guys who, you know, write the thing, I can see that OSC would lay the blame directly upon their underpaid shoulders. This could be interesting.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Other changes:

Bernard becomes the moral voice of the French

Unaccountably, they expunge the nudity and animated you-know-whatses

Bonzo gets pronounced exactly like Disney's unicycle riding bear, to be re-released next summer.

But on the upside, maybe they can get Hugh Jackman to play Sister Carlotta. [Evil Laugh]

[ February 11, 2004, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I had the exact same question about X2!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
pooka!!! LOL

I was thinking they'd change that whole expensive space-station-based school thing with a high school for gifted kids, and then there's some kids from the regular school who come over and want to bug the gifted kids, so Ender, the semi-cool nerd kid figures out they can fight them if they all just stick together, you know.

And then they get creamed anyway. But mom bakes cookies and they all go on to great schools like Stanford or Columbia.

And end up owning companies where they can hire and fire their old tormentors -- the buggers.

A great coming of age movie.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naledge
Member # 392

- posted      Profile for naledge   Email naledge         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope these guys do a good job with the script. Overall, I liked the dialogue of X2, but the plot wasn't that interesting to me. Hopefully they won't have to change very much because I would really enjoy seeing how well OSC's storytelling abilities translate to the screen.

I still hold on to the fantasy that OSC could some how team up with Lawrence Kasdan and develop
a phenomenal script.

-nal

[ February 11, 2004, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: naledge ]

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just glad that we are a step closer to seeing the movie. I'm also really happy to see that at least one of the guys knows the book and will be careful to keep it true to the story.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that they won't have to do much, just make sure it works for film. Since OSC is already a playwright, we know he knows how to adapt for theater.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I never had that problem with X2. When her powers went weird in the first scenes in the movie, everything around her that was electronic went nuts. Same thing started to happen inside the jet at the end.

She had to go outside, otherwise whatever was happening to her would interfere with the jet's electronics. It seemed obvious to me, but I guess it wasn't clear enough.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
But on the upside, maybe they can get Hugh Jackman to play Sister Carlotta

[ROFL]

I was kind of hoping for David Guest.

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.