FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My View on Bush and Iraq. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My View on Bush and Iraq.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Continuing a bit from above, I think you'll find the strongest Democratic contingents to be in blue collar workers (this is waning), women, and aftican americans. And that rich people, particularly white, male rich people, are generally Republican.

To support the non-wealth related assertions above, note the statistics cited in this article: http://members.aol.com/digasa/stats76.htm (There are plenty of others around if you care to search).

Considering white males have a significantly higher average income than non-white and non-male groups, this is also circumstantial evidence that richer people tend to be Republican.

Here's some statistics which show there is a slight tendency for the rich to vote republican -- http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan/e849/pf8.htm

In particular the high percentage of Democratic voters among women, african americans, and blue collar workers belies the idea that Democrats are rich elitists, especially when considered with statistics which show wealth is if anything an indicator of Republican voting tendencies.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By Danzig:

Saddam Hussein gassed his own people. His own people.

And Kim Jong what-his-name is starving thousands of his people. Your point is....?
Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
It's ok to kill people if you're a dictator?
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rhaeger, you should give it up, Bush is a bad President even for true conservatives. Thanks to his gigantic deficit spending we are now pursuing a weak dollar policy and our even our great gandchildren will be paying his lunacies off.

Conservatives do no crusade around the world for "natural/human" rights. ( just in case you think this is some sort of acceptable reason for Iraq)

Conservatives do not clamor for the loss of civil liberties even if it were for some noticeable increase of security.

Conservatives are Realist War theorists, they fight all the wars that they have to, but ONLY the ones they have to. Do you think we HAD to fight the war in Iraq? What would have happened to us if we didn't? Please don't tell me you believe the Bush administration's 5th alteration on the WMD line: "well, he could possibly have gotten them over time and used them on us." Face it, even Bush in his own words has pretty much admitted WMD was nearly all a hoax.

For these reasons and many more, Bush is not conservative, and he shames Edmund Burke every time he calls himself one.

I won't even dignify the stupidity of that with an answer.

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
So, too stupid for a response, but not too stupid to repost? Did you really mean stupid? I can see that you don't agree, but is it really stupid?
Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Rhaegar, you don't have the foggiest idea what a conservative is in the classical sense. Heck, you don't even have the foggiest idea what a conservative is in the current sense. And under neither definition is Bush a conservative.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Trogdor, actually, I think that's "Dictators kill people."

Which is a tautology, if a dictator didn't kill lots of people, they'd be called "benevolent ruler".

Or maybe "Thnikkaman". He's cool.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
conservatism.-
a political philosophy based on tradition and social stability, stressing established institutions, and preferring gradual development to abrupt change

Sounds like Bush.

And Rhaegar too……

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.disgraced.org/vets.html
Is this true?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teen Girl Squad
Member # 4909

- posted      Profile for Teen Girl Squad   Email Teen Girl Squad         Edit/Delete Post 
There goes the Thnikkaman!
Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha. Rhaegar doesn't like the fact that someone pointed out what conservatism really was. I can't think of someone more disruptive to stability and more iccurring of rapid, unstable change than Bush.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps some sarcasm tags were needed for that post...

Edit: my first I mean.

[ February 13, 2004, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Danzig ]

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
If Rhaegar wants to consider himself a conservative maybe he should read up on what it means to be one. Edmund Burke's criticisms of the French Revolution is a good basic text for him. They explain the reason that believing in "natural" or "human rights" is dangerous because it leads to despotic, crusading governance. Rights and liberties come from the state and what the people encode and ensure the state protects for them.

As for Realist War theory, it's basic for conservatism.

If you want to be a Neo-Conservative that's fine, but don't drag Conservatism through the mud with unnecessary wars, massive fiscal mischief and the sacrafice of personal liberties and agency for false security.

[ February 13, 2004, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adeimantus
Member # 5219

- posted      Profile for Adeimantus   Email Adeimantus         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally supported the fact that Saddam was a bad guy and needed to be ousted, but it didnt go deeper than that. And now this WMD so messed up I have to laugh at it. The Bush administration loves Saddam right now because he's their only smidgen of justification for the war now.

"There was a DEFINITE possibility that Iraq could get in contact with people that could possibly have a connection to what we could consider WMD." (pick up a phone)

Posts: 107 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.