FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Opportunity knocks..... do I dare open? - UPDATED

Author Topic: Opportunity knocks..... do I dare open? - UPDATED
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, my day just got thrown for a loop...

I just had a co-worker recommend to me that I apply for a new position being created in my company -- Business Continuity-Disaster Recovery Planner

Okay, remember currently I am low-life tech support.

But I actually have every qualification they have asked for -- the degree in Information Management, writing and communication skills, etc. etc.

This job pays TWICE my current salary annually!!

But the idea of branching out into a whole new area absolutely terrifies me. This is a NEW position -- I will be creating the whole disaster plan from scratch.

I don't know that I have that strong of organizational skills.

More than that, I really don't know if I want it.

I should see it as a challenge -- something I haven't had in years.

But instead the lazy part of me thinks "oh man, that looks like WORK!" And I've become so accustomed to my days of just chatting on Hatrack all day and having nothing really stressful at work. Like prepping for retirement.

I love the group I work with now. I love what I do. I'm good at it. I don't know that a disaster recovery person would be a very popular figure to have to work with ("we have to do WHAT!??")

<SIGH>
But MAN! That's a lot of money.

Farmgirl

[ March 10, 2004, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Do it.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, GO FOR IT!
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as a fellow tech support phone monkey, I say lay the smack down on that disaster recovery planning!
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Go for it!

And I have to say, I thought your title was referring to the Mardi Gras guy in your office and the beads.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

But I might not have much time to talk to all my friends HERE if I do this! And I will have a FEMALE boss (never has worked for me before -- but I do hear she's really nice).

Oh! Decisions, decisions!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirReal
Member # 5257

- posted      Profile for SirReal   Email SirReal         Edit/Delete Post 
You gotta ask yourself, "Will I be happy?" doing the new job. We spend so much of our time at work that it's VERY important take into account personal happiness in doing it. It sounds like a terrific opportunity but you should only persue it if you can bring creativity and an upbeat energy to the job. If you're up to the challenge then "you Go! FarmGirl"
Posts: 172 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
What a sweet offer, Farmgirl! I can't believe you're thinking of turning it down! Why? To be comfortable? You'll be perfectly comfortable in your grave one day when you're dead. Life is for taking chances. Go for it!
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Two questions:

Anyone in a similar position at another place you could talk to about what their day-to-day work is like (or, maybe a book reference)?

Do you ever feel bored or stagnant in your current job, and if yes, is it more often than not?

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
:kicks Farmgirl in the butt: Go for it!
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
But I might not have much time to talk to all my friends HERE if I do this!
Girlfriend, don't you dare make Hatrack a reason not to get on with your life. Don't forget, we can burninate your heinie for thoughts like that. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
See, if the job sucks after six months, then you can look around for something else at your higher salary level. People get paid what they get paid. Once you've established this as your salary level, that will be the base point for all future jobs. Taking this job will plain make you worth more, regardless of what you eventually end up doing.

There's no possible way to know in advance if a job will be good. One of my favorite jobs ever was with a company when I was desperate for work and they didn't seem that great at all but hey they were willing to hire me. And I ended up LOVING that job. Conversely, one time when I had five offers to choose from and I was getting all the right vibes from another job, it ended up being my least favorite job ever, and I quit after six months.

People who change jobs the most are the most successful. That's simply the way it works. Don't see yourself staying in the same comfortable position for the rest of your life. Just like getting educated and going to schools, continuing to branch out into new job areas and learning new skills is the smart thing to do. Keep growing and changing and trying new things. It's an investment in yourself.

[ February 12, 2004, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
A year ago I asked this group should I stay home and be comfortable on my vacation, or should I take a trip to India.

They kicked my backside on the plane.

I have never forgiven them for this. It was not the best trip I ever had.

I also know that if I had not gone, I would be spending the rest of my life greatly upset that I let the opportunity slip by.

FG, you can take a small part of the money you will be earning to by time to chat with everyone here after hours, at home or at the internet cafe.

Try.

Even if you fail, and don't get the job, or hate the job, you will know that you tried. You won't live the life filled of what ifs.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, it's not as scary as it sounds. I promise! When I worked at a pharmaceutical company, I was placed on the disaster recovery committee.

It's just common sense, planning ahead stuff. Writing procedures, "This is what we'll do if we wake up and our building has been bombed" So, I hope you enjoy writing procedures. There will be a lot of that! [Big Grin]

You can do this. And female bosses don't have to be that bad. My last boss was female and she was great, I really enjoyed working for her.

Go for it! NOW!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Do it.
For sure.

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Hey, mine Belle for information! She's like, gold.

*happy for Farmgirl

[ February 12, 2004, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Okay -- well, I think I will at least make an appointment with the person who is going to be supervising this position, just to "chat" with her about what all the job will entail and what she envisions.

I'll make that much of a step.

(and here I always thought of myself as a risk taker! I would probably be more inclined to jump out of an airplane (with a parachute) than step forward to do something like this....)

Farmgirl

peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Jumping out of an airplane sounds pretty disastrous to me.

Oh wait. You meant with a parachute...

Nevermind...

ps. Good Luck. and go for it, but watch out for that first step. It's a dooosy

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just add my voice to the chorus of people telling you to go for this. Awhile back, when Kama was considering beginning a process that could culminate in her getting a translator's job at the UN, I told her this:

quote:
I've found that I enjoy my life, feel like I'm really living it, and remember it better when I'm operating a little bit outside of my comfort zone. Stagnation always feels like it will feel better than it actually does. If I were in your shoes, going for the EU job would the right thing to do. Since you're not me, though, your milage may vary.
Take out "EU job" and replace it with "Business Continuity-Disaster Recovery Planner" and you've got my answer to you.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's a dooosy
Anyone else read this with a Groundhog Day sort of voice in their head?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[Laugh] kat!

Okay -- I've made an appointment to talk with this person next week about this position. Just a kind of informal "chat" to see if it would be a possible fit.

::nervous as hell::

Farmgirl

peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
kat: get out of my head [Angst]

Actually, you read it exactly as I thought and wrote it.

Great minds... [Wink]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"Do it!" he shouted belatedly...
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Bob_S hasn't given me an opinion yet! [Cry]

and he is the So Wise one....

Farmgirl

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, there is a big difference between being a wise man and a wise-er wiseguy. Yeah, a wiseguy.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it highly unlikely that you will be busier writing disaster recovery plans than you will working tech support.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

But I'll have to put on high heels and dress up and *gasp* actually talk to upper management!

<GRIN>

Farmgirl

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ned Montage...
"bing"
"am I right or am I right or am I right. Rite rite rite."
"Ned!?" :punch:
"I don't know where you're headed, but can you call in sick?"

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
FG,

Here're are the questions I usually ask in these situations:

1) Do you need the money enough to put up with the extra stress?

2) What is the impact of the job on your life and family?

3) Will the extra money go to wardrobe or to improving your own life and that of your kids?

4) Can you see any landmines (bad boss, lack of upper management support, ending up as the scapegoat, possibility of being fired) that would be worse in the new position versus the current one?

I wish you good luck in your new position. I'm betting you apply.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

See.. here's how I react initially to your thoughts:

quote:
1) Do you need the money enough to put up with the extra stress?

How do I know it will be extra stress? I've never been a money-centered person at all (which is probably why I've been poor most of my life). We live very much paycheck to paycheck, yet it WOULD be nice to have maybe a little extra to fix up the house like I would like eventually. You know the saying "They say money can't buy happiness --- but I would just like the chance to see if that's true!" <GRIN>

quote:
2) What is the impact of the job on your life and family?

Probably not much. Same location/basic hours I have now. And my kids are old enough now that they don't need me as much, and seem to be okay with whenever I have to work.

quote:
3) Will the extra money go to wardrobe or to improving your own life and that of your kids?

I'm sure some will go to wardrobe, but with good planning, that doesn't have to be too much of an on-going expensive. However, it would probably mean I would have to put on my "cultured, symphony-going face" for most of the time -- something I can do, but not necessarily something I'm real comfortable with.

quote:
4) Can you see any landmines (bad boss, lack of upper management support, ending up as the scapegoat, possibility of being fired) that would be worse in the new position versus the current one?

How do you see these before-the-fact? So much can't be known about a job until you get into it. The group I currently have is so awesome -- very flexible, very family-oriented. I hope this other company department would be the same way, but how would I know?

Farmgirl

jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
How much security does this job have? If you apply for it, get it and take it, will it still be there in a year? Will you be allowed to get your old job back? The whole "new position" part of it worries me. Well, if I were you, it would worry me. Just my thoughts, but you might think about asking if you decide to apply.
Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl... just in case nobody has said this [Razz] , you should go for it. Just give it a try.

Seriously, it sounds like a great opportunity. Half of Disaster Recovery Planning is NOT to have a disaster. Sounds simple enough, neh. Easier said than done. I think your experience in tech support, along with your other qualifications, gives you a good handle on how to do just that. You know what can go wrong. You've probably thought of ways to have prevented problems you'd handled. All they want you to do in the new job is write those ideas down in such a way that a turnip (no offense to turnips) could follow them. I know, a bit of an oversimplification, but I think you can do it. (Just realized that I sound like a cheerleader.... rah-rah-rah-sis-boom-bah If Farmgirl can't do it, no one can! *shakes pom-poms and flips hair*)

If you do get it, we'd miss you, but it wouldn't mean forever. (Better not anyways)

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
FG - I just took a promotion at work 1/1/04 and I am surviving.

For purely selfish reasons, YES! GO FOR IT! Then we can exchange e-mails comparing the experience and advising one another!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How do you see these before-the-fact? So much can't be known about a job until you get into it. The group I currently have is so awesome -- very flexible, very family-oriented. I hope this other company department would be the same way, but how would I know?

Ask around. Heck, you're an insider. You should be able to get the dope on this other area just by asking colleagues. I wasn't suggesting, however, that you'll know everything. Just looking for BIG problems like

- The boss is a skirt-chaser or only knows how to talk to men

- Screaming fits in the hallway are a weekly "issue"

- Most of the managers are ex-ENRON insiders and we never know where they go during those 3 hour lunches.

- Don't light a match near the executive assistant or you'll have the largest alcohol flame in the Midwest...

that sort of thing.

Reallly, I guess all you might find out is that the place is kind of normal, like every other place. But that'd be good to know too.

Re: the money-centered thing. That's exactly what I was getting at. Money isn't important, but people will trade a lot of nice stuff for it. You know, like a new roof. There's nothing wrong with more money, but it always comes with trade-offs. You are comfortable and happy in your current place. That's nothing to sneeze at. This would be new, exciting, challenging, different, etc.

But any change is "stressful" even if it is the best thing we've ever done for ourselves or our future.

It doesn't sound like you are doing it JUST for the money, though, and that's a good thing. I've seen too many moves for money work out to be "not worth it" in retrospect.

I'm not saying don't do it by any stretch. I think it sounds like you've got untapped skills that your company could make good use of. That's a recipe for success in most arenas, no? So go for it, of course!

Beware that wardrobe thing. If this requires you to have really nice clothes to fit the position, don't skimp. You'd brand yourself from the outset as not part of the group. I'd do a little recon to see what it's like over there on a normal day.

Again, being an insider with the company, I'm assuming you could find out a lot of this stuff without too much trouble or exposure.

Sorry if this is unhelpful or deflating. I'm not trying to be. I feel like I am, though.

I really think you should go for it too, but that's also an odd thing to say given the fact that none of us know what the true situation is.

The most important thing, I think is being happy at work. There are so few things out of our control with respect to happiness in life. If there's a way to make choices that increase our happiness in the work environment, I always think we should do it. Sometimes that means more money, but more often it means going after positions that use our skills, challenge us, and help us grow. AND bring us more money.

So, the reasons I think you should go for this are that it'd be using more of your skills and making you more valuable to the company.

Is this making any sense?

Should I just shut up?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Thats good suggestion, Bob. I have spies (I mean, friends) all over the bank. I know someone well in that general area -- and she loves working over there. I'm reluctant to let any of my friends know, however, that I'm thinking of doing this (gossip spreads fast, ya know -- don't want to hurt my current supervisor's feelings).

I think the reason my co-worker suggested it and thought I would be good at it was because of these skills/experiences in my life:

Degree in Computer Information Systems
15 years working as a writer/journalist prior to going to computers (good written communication skills)
I'm not at all afraid of giving speeches to a crowd -- was in Toastmistress for awhile -- so presentations are no big deal
Was an instructor for awhile (CTT)
Worked as an EMT on an ambulance responding to disasters
Worked as a volunteer firefighter
Did hands-on disaster recovery after a tornado
I know lots of people in city/county/state government I could network with.

BUT -- I just don't think of myself as a real organized person. I don't know if I would have the organizational skills to put together the plan they are probably envisioning. And I worry about whether my ideas would be accepted/rejected by the Board, and how to defend them.

...I'm getting ahead of myself, I know.

Farmgirl

Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
DON'T do it just for the money.

But don't NOT do it just because you are afraid to change.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Okay -- got word today that I did NOT get this job.

They found some outside person with LOTS of experience in this area, so I am not feeling like they didn't choose the best candidate.

And it works out okay, because a guy in my department got fired yesterday (long story) and it would have REALLY hurt my department if they had ended up being down TWO people.

God's will in all things. I wasn't meant to have that job. It is kind of a relief because I love what I do now and the people here.

Farmgirl

edit: for the important word 'not'

[ March 10, 2004, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

And...

you don't have spend days wondering if you MIGHT'VE gotten it had you only applied. I'm glad you are happy where you are, and I'm sorry you didn't get the promotion.

This is still a good outcome though, because now the company knows for sure that you are ambitious and willing to take on new challenges.

It can't hurt.

(((FG)))

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Thanks Bob

yeah -- got notice of our raises today too.... just 3%.

I mean -- all raises are good -- and this one just MIGHT cover the increase in medical insurance premiums.... <SIGH>

Farmgirl

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry you didn't get the job, Farmgirl, but good for you for trying! The next chance will seem that much less scary to apply for, neh?

(((((Farmgirl)))))

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry you didn't get the job, FarmGirl. I'm glad you decided to interview for it, but it's frustrating that they hired the other person. Still, like you said, they did hire the more experienced person for the job, your dept. does need you, and you do love your current job.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, just roll on and enjoy yourself. [Smile]
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry you didn't get the job, but congrats on going through with the interview. And double congrats on being lucky enough to like your current job and your co-workers.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, this may seem like cold comfort now, but just the act of applying for that job has raised management's opinion of your ultimate potential. If you do decide to look for other jobs within the company, this will only help you.

And good on you for going through with the interview. It can be terrifying to put yourself out there for someone else's approval or rejection.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.