FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Foobonic's in trouble

Author Topic: Foobonic's in trouble
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Dre posted a notice in the upper left hand corner of his website saying he needs $200.00 by 2/18, or Foobonic's going to shut down.

quote:
HELP!!! foobonic will shutdown due to lack of donations by 2/18/04!
We need $200.00 to keep foobonic running for the next year. PLEASE DONATE.

I'm sending $10, in the memory of Sandy. If we get twenty Hatrackers to do that, Foob should be good to go.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Did something happen to Sandy?
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
You tell me. The girl's disappeared.

She's not dead, unless God's playing a horribly tragic joke on me, but she hasn't posted at Hatrack for months. Nor has she IMed me -- thus, she's to blame for our total lack of communication.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fairly certain Sandy is just busy having, y'know, a LIFE. Or it could be being busy at work.

That said, she'd better be planning on Shindaing one week from today!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Sandy and Andre (aka foobonic) broke up a while back. She removed all of her foobonic photos and stuff afterwards.

Sandy also moved out of her apartment and into a place with a bunch of new people. With work and everything else, she's just too busy for hatrack and the like.

She's still alive, dude.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
A server with 50GB+ of bandwidth is not that expensive. $10/mo if you look more than a few minutes. Or free (1and1) if you scale it down a bit. Is the "foobonic" upload/display application anything fancy or something anyone can download and install?
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
foobonic uses Gallery, which is a fairly easy to install web app. However, foo is also a web programmer and has hacked Gallery a bit. His version runs better than most I have seen.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I made a contribution -- okay, now come on Jatraqueros -- who's gonna match me?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I also made a contribution.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Did we save it?
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

No idea, did anyone else contribute today?
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
It said 99 more bucks were needed... But I don't think it included my $20.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Did you donate today, Bok?
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I didn't notice this thread until it was bumped this afternoon.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

So I am guessing that about $65 was donated today by Hatrackers that I am aware of...but that's just a guess.
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
apparently $34.00 is still needed
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Only $14 to go...
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Covered if anyone tells me where to send the money.
Sorry, don't even have foobonic in my Favorites. Only occassionally click into it through new links posted on Hatrack.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.foobonic.com/

There's a paypal link at the bottom left.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Don't have PayPal: never used a credit card online. Is there a physical address that I can send money to?
Short of that, is there anywhere common that I could buy a prepaid PayPal card?

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 

You have sent a secure payment of $20.00 USD to Melon Mind.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

errrm... I never use a credit card online.

Okay, is anybody willing to take snailmailed cash from me to use their PayPal.

[ February 18, 2004, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I never use a credit card online.

Why not? It's 10X safer than using one in person, and 100X safer than mailing cash [Eek!]

Anywho, hopes this campaign sets them up nicely for a few years of service. I would've hosted it if asked (and I'm probably not the only one), but it's nice to see the community come together in the name of silly pictures.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and 100X safer than mailing cash
Not to mention legal, unlike mailing cash.
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
He says it is still short $34, but I don't think he's totalled it all up yet.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

- posted      Profile for Banna_Oj   Email Banna_Oj         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Icky, I just looked at the "Customers Guide to Mailing" at USPS.com and while they reccommend money orders as being safer, no where does it say that cash is illegal to mail.

Many companies that you pay your bils have to specify that they want a check or money order because occasionally people do mail cash.

And if you couldn't mail cash what would happen to the $5 that people put in birthday cards? They would all be illegal and they aren't.

another link:
http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/tipthief.htm

They say DON'T mail cash in order to prevent theivery, but the way it is stated implies that you CAN if you really want to.

AJ

[ February 19, 2004, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Banna_Oj ]

Posts: 79 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay . . . I knew that it was illegal to send cash in response to a chail letter, but now I see that it's because it's considered gambling:

http://www.usps.com/websites/depart/inspect/chainlet.htm

My postmaster when I lived in South Carolina explained it to me incorrectly.

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's up for another year.

Now I need to get a credit card between now and next year in case this happens again.

[ February 19, 2004, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I am grateful for those of you who contributed. I can never seem to afford to pledge to PBS either.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.