FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "ENDER series" books

Author Topic: "ENDER series" books
virtualron
Member # 6226

- posted      Profile for virtualron   Email virtualron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

I know there are a bunch of book in the Ender series... could someone help me out by listing them, and in order? I've got Ender's Shadow, Shadow/Hegemon, and Shadow Puppets. I'd like the rest. Its nearly impossible to figure that out reading book covers!

Thanks all!

Ron

Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind

That's just off the top of my head. The Shadow books are another series.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

- posted      Profile for Banna_Oj   Email Banna_Oj         Edit/Delete Post 
Heres the link http://www.hatrack.com/osc/about.shtml

quote:
Nobody had ever won the Hugo and Nebula awards for best novel two years in a row, until Orson Scott Card received them for Ender's Game and its sequel, Speaker for the Dead, in 1986 and 1987. The third novel in the series, Xenocide, was published in 1991, and the fourth and seemingly final volume, Children of the Mind, was published in August 1996. However, the Ender cycle now includes the new parallel series that began with Ender's Shadow in 1999, followed by Shadow of the Hegemon in 2001, and continued with Shadow Puppets in 2002. Warner Brothers also recently announced that it has made a deal for director Wolfgang Petersen to bring Ender's Game to the big screen.

Posts: 79 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
V

Check out the link at the top that says "OSC Library" -- it should help you out a lot.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, that's it alright. My personal favorite is 'Speaker for the Dead.'

The Shadow series starts as a parellel to Ender's Game.

And welcome to Hatrack!

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
virtualron
Member # 6226

- posted      Profile for virtualron   Email virtualron         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys (girl),

I hadn't realized that the shadow was a different series. I just picked up Enders Shadow one day in Penn Station for my train ride.... and thought it was absolutly incredible... so was trying to find the rest.

Is it going to mess with my head to switch to the Ender series, after reading the Shadow series? Not that it matters, I'm gonna do it anyway. [Smile]

Glad I picked up that book too! I'll have to put OSC in my list of absolute favorites (along with Clarke, Bear, Asimov, & Bova)

Thanks again,
VR

Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi virtualron! I'm new too.

I have to say, what a way to introduce yourself. Almost like walking into an LDS church on Sunday and announcing that you and your family have some questions about the meaning of life.

Good luck with finding those books. Speaker for the Dead is a wonderful book, but wonderful in a different way than Ender's Game is wonderful.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The Ender series is vastly superior, but very different in tone. I don't know how you'll feel about Ender's Game when reading it AFTER Ender's Shadow, as the latter book is actually a retelling of EG written nearly twenty years later from a different character's perspective. I'd imagine a lot of the impact will be missing for you.

That said, most people on this site prefer Speaker for the Dead, anyway. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer Xenocide and CotM to Speaker. However, I think his best work was the Worthing Collection(Saga?).
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
virtualron
Member # 6226

Well... thanks again. I can't imagine the Ender series being vastly superior, only because I thought the Shadow series was VERY good. If so... I'm in for a real treat. We'll find out soon enough, I just ordered all 4 Ender books off of amazon.

Um... Sachiko, whats a "LDS" church?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Latter-Day Saints. Card's a Mormon, and so are many of his fans.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
virtualron
Member # 6226

Oh, thanks. Havn't been a member long enough to have picked that up.
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I gather there are lots of things you'll pick up from Hatrack. Remember to always wash your hands [Smile]
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
virtualron
Member # 6226

noted! Sure beats work though...
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
You can find more discussion about OSC and opinions and theories from his fans if you check out the other side. (Where it says discussions about Orson Scott Card.) Just be careful about threads involving books you haven't read yet- tons of spoilers.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.