FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, some people do think this way... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: So, some people do think this way...
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
David, do you really believe it HAS to play out that way? I mean, is this such a massive change that the anti- crowd just will simmer to boiling over?

I could see it the other way...if people's rights are curtailed for long enough, they'll rebel. But this is ultimately going to be seen as an issue of fairness by almost everyone, I think.

And as long as that's the case, even grudging acceptance would seem in poor taste.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
I really hope you're right, Bob. But I'm a teacher, and I see the rampant insensitivity (and outright hatred, in some cases) that exists among a good number of teens for the gay lifestyle, and I know where this hate comes from, and I know where it is headed...
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
David, I think that's pretty much normal for adolescent males who are just discovering their own sexuality.

I mean, they don't really KNOW anything, and calling someone "queer" or "fag" is like the big insult. So of course they aren't equipt to see the positive side of a person who actually IS gay.

Now, sure, some of those kids will grow up and never leave their hometown. And they'll suck down brews at the local bar and make jokes about gays until they die.

But those people are in the minority, I think. Most people do go on, broaden their minds, and at least learn toleration if not actual appreciation.

Heck, even some people who have seen the seemier side of some gay lifestyles (public restrooms on my college campus were a nightmare for a homophobe) actually learn to at least keep their derogatory comments to themselves. But most can sort it out a bit better than that.

I hope I'm right too. I hate to think that the attitudes evinced by teenage males in this country are going to be the norm throughout society.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.