FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Which decade, exactly, is the one you are raised in?

Author Topic: Which decade, exactly, is the one you are raised in?
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seriously asking.

Do people mean 1-10, or your teen years? Teen years seems to make more sense, since that's when you start caring about and following the world around you. Or at least that's when I started. But then I know people who were born in '83 that call themselves and 80's kid.

So what's the general rule here?

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I pretend I was born before decades started because I'm not really a big fan of any of them. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you can use different ones at different times. I was alive in the 1960's, so I can claim to be a child of the sixties for some purposes. My first real independence came in the 1970's, so that's the decade where I think of myself as coming of age.

Then, there are the Hatrack years...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I was born in 1980. January 9, 1980. Which is 1-9-80. I'm an eighties kid, no doubt about it.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't consider myself an eighties kid...I mean, I was born in '85, and on top of that, I didn't start getting into pop culture until about four years ago. Bah.
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say from about age five to around thirteen.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I was 5 years old in 1989. I was born on October 18, 1984. I'd say I grew up in the 80's/90's.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I refer to people who were born in the 80s as 80s kids so that I can make fun of them and pretend that I'm cooler because I was born in the 70s. Of course, I totally disregard the fact that, since I was born in the 70s, I remember and participated in more of the 80s.

Seriously, though, my answer to that would be whatever decade you most identify with is the one in which you grew up. Maybe "identify with" is not the right phrase. I'm suddenly picturing ten-year-olds in poodle skirts. Or maybe it isn't. I suppose I should consider myself as growing up in the 90s because, theoretically, that is the decade I have the most memories from. However, I have two older brothers, so the influence of the 80s on my life is much more extensive.

Make sense?

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I have much more fond memories of television from the 80s (cartoons especially) than the 90s. Adding to the fact that I was born in '81 - I'm an 80s kid.

[ February 24, 2004, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what I am. Having been born in '85, I'm not sure I could be called an "80's kid" but I am amused by the culture of the 80's, and I like the music. Also, "I Love The 80's" and its sequel rock. HARD.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]

quote:
Then, there are the Hatrack years...
I used to pretend I was reincarnated hippie that came back after dying at Woodstock . . .

Now, I know better.

I AM a pretend hippie that would have loved to have gone to Woodstock.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I submit that the decade you were "raised in" is the decade in which you personally bought your first album, tape, or CD.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Born in 81.

I was molded around eighties pop culture and consider myself a child of the eighties.

But wait...I bought my first album in the eighties...but it was "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". What does that say about me?

[ February 24, 2004, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It means that you're a child of the '80s, but are relatively conservative.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I consider myself a "70's" person, because I graduated from high school in 1979. That means the whole decade prior (1970-1979) was the most formative years of my life -- the parts of my childhood I remember the most. I'm sure I was formed some in 1961-1969, but not things that I remember (trends, fashions, fads) as I do during the decade of the 70's.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, what is this 'album' you speak of?

*Hides the fact that his first album was probably Sesame Street Disco*

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Born in '82.

Sooo definately not an 80s child. That is probably exacerbated by the fact I was socially retarded and didn't actually buy any popular music until 94 (though before then I did have a great classical collection).

Plus I didn't have a tv. So most 80s references go right over my head.

Except those really really ugly neon coloured baggy short overalls. I had a pair of those. Oh, and the t-shirt that changed colour as you sweated - hypercolour, that's it. (Seriously, how could anyone have thought that was a good idea?)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd probably have to classify myself as a child of the 60s. I'm old enough to have watched the following on TV as they happened (or at least the same day):

• The assassination of JFK
  • The murder of Lee Harvey Oswald
  • Firehoses being turned on black schoolchildren
  • The assassination of Martin Luther King
  • The assassination of Bobby Kennedy
My high school years were mostly in the 1970's, but it's the 1960s that probably has the most claim to my childhood.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I LOVE your definition, but do 45s count? [ROFL] I remember my first 45 very clearly. It was "I Saw Her Standing There" with "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" on the B side. First album I personally bought, I really can't remember. It was probably Second Album or Something New. I'm sure it was my brother Mikie who bought Meet the Beatles (he was 3) because he wanted to make sure it was kept very safe so he hid it under the sofa cushion and someone sat on it and it shattered into bits. The vinyl they used for records in those days was very brittle. But Mom bought him a replacement, thank goodness. We wore that one slap out.

I do remember getting Beatles 65 for Christmas. (In 1965, maybe?) I asked Santa for it, so that should count. I guess that means I grew up in the 60s? I don't feel like that, though. It seems like I grew up in the 70s cause that's when I was in school.

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Hm. I'm not sure if getting an album as a gift -- even if you asked for it -- counts. I think it has to be an album that you personally made the effort to buy with money of your own, even if that money was given to you by your parents. [Smile]

My rationale here is that until you make that first step, you haven't committed to the pop culture of the period.

Perhaps that's why you don't QUITE feel like a child of the '60s; even though you WANTED an album, you didn't buy into it until later. [Smile]

[ February 25, 2004, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

What about this: the first album I bought was also Sgt Peppers, and I bought it in '95 or so. But the first album I enjoyed was my dad's Genesis album. Where exactly do I fall with that album definition?
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Using the same logic I used with PSI, I'd have to say that you're a relatively conservative child of the '90s. [Smile]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I was born in 1981. But I consider myself a 90's child, and by Tom's definition that's exactly what I am.

Ah, grunge.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

I would have listened to grunge, but my parents thought it was too loud. Then I found my dad's Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin albums and blackmailed him with those. He's a fan of Nirvana now, too.

But my mom still refers to anything louder than a rythmic country song as "psychobabble". I don't know where she got the phrase. I assume it's a New Hapshire thing, like every other weird tendency or phrase that she has.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm...the first LP I bought would have been either Men at Work's Cargo, or The Police's [/i]Synchronisity[/i], so I guess by Tom's definition I'm a child of the 80s. Actually, I think of myself as a child of the 80s anyway. I was born in '71, and while I have lots of memories of the better part of that decade, I didn't start participating in popular culture (other than movies) until 1982.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What year were you born OSC-fan?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very much a child of the 90s, getting lured into the music scene shortly after the very literal death of Nirvana. Although, I still sort of sat on the outside and looked in while listening to whatever everyone else did.

I've always been very wishy-washy with my taste in music.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely a child of the 90s. I was born in 1985....and the first album I bought was Savage Garden. Followed by the Celine Dion album with "My Heart Will Go On". *cringes*
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, 1984, but I consider myself to be a 90's kid. First real album was the Jurassic Park soundtrack. But I, too, love the "I Love the 80's" show.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I consider myself a child of the sixties. I was three when the sixties began and thirteen when they ended. I do have a few memories of the late fifties (for example, I remember seeing Khruhschev's train going through my town when he visited the U.S. in 1959). I graduated from high school in 1974. However, I came to my main consciousness of the world outside my own family in the sixties, so that is the decade I claim as "mine".
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I was born in the 60's. 1964. Lots of fun that year.

I graduated High School in 1982.

I guess that makes me a 70's child. I remember watching the watergate hearings on TV, but I don't remember much about Vietnam--accept my fathers remark when it was over. "Great, now if we can only get those Isrealies and Arabs to stop fighting the world could relax."

I saw Star Wars at the movie theater.

On a big screen.

Without the special extended cut.

And was wowwed for the eight years it took for Empire Strikes Back to come back.

I almost remember new episodes of Star Trek--to previous generation.

However, I do not like Disco, Hard Acid Rock or Punk.

[ February 25, 2004, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bmeaker
Member # 4443

- posted      Profile for bmeaker   Email bmeaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I was born in 1984 but don't really remember much about the 80's while I lived through them but since then I have learned about the music, tv, and movies of the 80's. I guess I would be a 90's child since that is what I remember best but I don't really like a lot of the music that was popular then. I liked older rock like Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, AC/DC, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix and stuff like that. After middle school is when I started paying attention to music and stuff. My brother, who is five years older than me, is probably the reason that I like the music that I do because I would just listen to what he did. So the summer after eight grade I went to Ozzfest and saw bands like Motorhead, Megadeth, System of a Down, and stuff like that. Since then my brother started listening to more metal stuff than rock stuff and I also did. So now I listen to bands like God Forbid, Lamb of God, Dimmu Borgir, Vintersorg, Children of Bodom, Deicide, Overkill, Symphony X, Moonspell, and stuff like that(bands that are on labels like Metal Blade, Century Media, Naplam, Nuclear Blast, and Earache). I also like bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden though.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
First album I bought:

Whitney by Whitney Houston

Second album I bought:

Substance by Joy Division

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I was born in 1986, and therefore I am definately a nineties kid. I know nothing about the eighties... it's the past to me. I might as well not have lived at all for those four years for all the difference it made in me.

EDIT: If you go by pop-culture (music seems to be the defining factor) I'm afraid I haven't actually caught up yet. [Smile]

[ February 25, 2004, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I remember being both amused and horrified when Christy's younger sister came to me and asked my help for a history project: identifying the '80s references in Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire." [Smile]
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I was born in '85 and I still haven't bought a pop album. All of the Cds I've bought myself have been soundtracks for musicals. What does that make me?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
My twin sister.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
We'll have to tell you're parents, they might be surprised. [Smile]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.