FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Because there AREN'T enough grammar threads (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Because there AREN'T enough grammar threads
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

posted February 24, 2004 04:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does it count for anything that I realized almost immediately why my thread was dobied?

To all grammar nazis, I beg your forgiveness.

And now I will defend myself.

I knew I was wrong, and I thought about correcting it, but honestly, had I said it out loud, that's exactly as I would have said it. I am much more grammatically adept than I let on. Sometimes I just like to let the atrocious language of my upbringing come out.

I should have known better than to do it here.

For reference, the possessive issue is also a pet peeve of mine. Spelling, also. If I could spell for a living, I'd never go hungry. I just choose to let most mistakes go because a) I am largely non-confrontational and b) as long as the meaning is clear, I'm not too worried. I'm much better at spelling than typing, and everyone makes a few mistakes here and there.

Plus, there are enough violent grammarians on this forum.

*sits back and waits for the grammar nazis to strike*

If you cold hold back on the defensiveness for a minute, I'm sure you would realize that the only purpose of this thread is to point out a humorous irony (i.e. a grammatical error in the subject of a thread about grammar), not some kind of personal attack.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Could someone explain media vs. medium to me? Is medium ever plural or media ever singular? If one of the definitions for medium is "An agency by which something is accomplished, conveyed, or transferred" are two of those agencies referred to as media or mediums?
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

1. Yes.
2. Medium is singular. Media is always plural.
3. It depends on what is being conveyed.
Channels or systems of communication, broadcasting, artistic expression, information
storage, etc. are media.
People who are held to be channels of communication between the earthly and spirit world are mediums.
Substances regarded as the means of transmission of a force or effect can be either.

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Medium is always singular. Media is often plural, but also often singular, especially when referring to "the media." Sometimes medium is pluralized as mediums, especially when referring to art: "My favorite mediums are oil paint and colored pencil."

Does that help?

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

Actually, in reference to agencies of mass communications "media" is used as a mass noun often construed as singular.
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. [Smile]
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.