FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Photoshoppers Rule!

Author Topic: Hatrack Photoshoppers Rule!
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a photo I want to make some minor changes on it. It's a photo of my daughter, it's digital format I took it on my Olympus digital camera.

This is probably very easy for you photoshop experts out there.

I want to remove a scratch on her arm and crop it. Then, I want it in sepia tones. I will then order it from an online photo printer. I want it to be printed 8x10.

What do you need to know? How easy is this? How much should I pay? I checked on Ebay and people advertise their services for photo touchup and such and it's around 10-15 dollars per photo from what I can tell.

I'm going to post it online and link you to it in a minute, so you can see what you're working with.

[ February 24, 2004, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Belle ]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Okay, here is the link.

http://groups.msn.com/bamawards/hatrack.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=268

I know the yellow dress is hideous, but no one will know that when it's in sepia.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you describe how you want it cropped? should it be for a vertical or horizontal print? And how "close in" do you want it?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you'd like a higher res copy retouched? This one is pretty small. That is, if you are going to want to make prints. Just a thought.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the scratch on her arm. An adorable little girl, in a fluffy dress, but with evidence of adventure. I like it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Two things:

1. She's adorable!

2. You should also have the photoshop wizards take out that diagonal shadow going through the pic as well.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

The copy on my computer is much higher res, when I upload to my group on MSN they automatically reduce the file size.

I can email a copy to you, if you want. But, to answer the question, I just want it cropped closer horizontally, so you don't see so much of the grass on either side of her.

Belle
Member # 2314

Does anyone else see Daniel's foot in the very top right hand corner. [Big Grin]

kat, normally I'd agree with you, but I think for the purposes of this photo I want the scratch out. I'll keep the original, because I'm like you, I want to see my kids being kids. But, this is for a gift for someone else.

Belle
Member # 2314

Also, I have a question for the artistically minded.

I want to take some springtime pictures of my kids. Probably take them to the botanical gardens when everything starts blooming. The purpose is to produce some photos for the grandparents, and perhaps even a photo that can be the subject of an oil painting.

Would you put them all in white? I just wondered about putting them in brightly colored dresses, when the backdrop is going to be very bright and colorful.

I was thinking really casual. White cotton dresses, a white shirt and pair of shorts for Daniels. Bare feet. Have them all sitting somewhere like they're taking a break from an afternoon stroll, nothing all that formally posed.

Any suggestions?

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I did a version of the picture you posted. Here's the link.

I am no photographer, so I don't know what good sepia tone looks like. I don't know if I even got close. I'm no designer, so I don't know if I cropped it right. I just wanted to see if I could do it. [Smile]

As has been said, if you want to print it out 8x10, you'll have to have a hi-res picture. This wouldn't print out very well.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think they all need to be in white. What's more important is that they are in solid, subdued colors. Pale, pastel, that kind of thing. Daniel in white would work, I just wouldn't put all three girls in white, too. Just my opinion.
Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

This is just a quick once-over with the low res version, without cropping (that should be left until last, anyways):

http://homepage.mac.com/fugu13/belle-armfix-sepia.jpg

Is that along the lines of what you're looking for?

Email me the high res version -- fugu13 AT mac DOT com

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

Here you go Belle. I corrected the levels and I tried to blur out the compression artifacts on her skin, but I could probably do something much better with a full size photo.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
MAVEN?

I'm reporting you to the EEO commission. Obviously, you discriminate in your hiring practices.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I also made two fairly brighter (in somewhat different ways, though) versions:

http://homepage.mac.com/fugu13/belle-armfix-sepia2.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/fugu13/belle-armfix-sepia3.jpg

peterh
Member # 5208

Anyone brave enough to try to remove the shadow?

Belle, would you prefer it gone?

My opinion, as an independent observer of a piece of art, is that it is distracting.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

Here is the same in a pseudosepia. I don't have an action for making sepia tints, so this is only an approximation.
Chaeron
Member # 744

Here is one with the background more uniform. I think the grass looks a little fake.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Chaeron -- if you have photoshop, you make sepia by going RGB, then grayscale, then tritone with black, a (medium) brown, and a (light) gray. This is almost always followed by increasing the brightness.
Chaeron
Member # 744

Thanks fugu.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, Chaeron. That looks very good.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

You people are unbelievable. [Eek!]

[Hat] [Hat] [Hat]

Lookie, I made one myself! I called Cherie and she told me how to remove the scratch, so I gave it a shot.

How'd I do?

http://groups.msn.com/bamawards/hatrack.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=269

I don't know about the shadow...Let me think on it.

I think I like the shadow gone...I'm gonna try to play with mine some more...now that I got started and it's not as much greek as I thought I'm having fun!

Would everyone be amenable to me making a donation to foobonic in honor of all photoshop masters?

[ February 24, 2004, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Belle ]

Chaeron
Member # 744

http://www.foobonic.com/gallery/albup33/aad

Now with more authentic sepia.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely need to work on the hi-res version of it's going to be printed. Printing is usually 150 - 300 dpi, web pics are 72. Blowing it up to print gives you a fuzzy, pixelated picture.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle - she is absolutely adorable, gorgeous and would you mind if I stole her?

[Big Grin]

Now I'm just thinking what you must look like...

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

Chaeron,

Great Job! [Hat]

I'm getting photoshop in the next couple of weeks. (I have a friend that works for Adobe and will be mailing me a (legit) copy soon). I'm excited.

fugu13
Member # 2859

http://homepage.mac.com/fugu13/belle-armfix-sepia4.jpg

The shadow is also gone, and I tweaked the sepia, brightness, and contrast a bit.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm by no means a photoshop expert, but here is my version.

I wasn't sure which shadow you want removed (the one in the background or the one on her), so I worked on both of them.

[ February 24, 2004, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*puts in another plug for the scratched version*

Especially if it's a present. It's giving someone a real picture of your daughter, instead of the sanitized version. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, just fly me down to photograph your kids. [Wink] Log onto AIM or call me later. Am thinking about how to do those portraits of your kids...hmmm...all white...hmmm.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Belle

I know you know, but I just have to put a plug in for Jamie's work. It's great. [Wink]

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I'd love to have Jamie come do it! I just don't know how and when and all the logistics and stuff.

Yes, I know she's wonderful. [Big Grin]

She can write too. [Smile]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
This is now an official order for everyone who helped Belle out to do an entry for Photoshop Phriday. You really won't regret it.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehehe. Kids named Abby rock.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, yes they do. [Smile]

Abby met Abby today. It was funny.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
The only Abby I've ever met in person is my dog.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

There is no Abby in this household.

She is Abigail and she will correct you if you call her Abby. [Smile]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
AND give you the finger.

No..wait...that's her MOM [Wink]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to second Kat's vote for the scratched version. And dang it, that's a cute kid.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.