FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Paging all Hatrack Doctors

Author Topic: Paging all Hatrack Doctors
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
To avoid yet another homosexuality thread, I thought we could discuss the lump on my heel and what it means to me.

I've got a lump near the top of my heel just about where the top of my shoe rubs against it. Is this some kind of calcium deposit or am I going to die? Should I see my primary care doctor or go straight to a podiatrist? Should I go real soon? I guess if I'm going to die, I probably should, but it doesn't really hurt.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's a lot of information, zgator!

Does it hurt?

Is it hard like a rock?

Is is soft like fluid-filled?

Is it just a callous caused by your shoe?

FG
edit: duh! He said it didn't hurt!

[ February 25, 2004, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

It's kind of soft on the top, but hard underneath. It's not fluid filled and it's defintely not a callous.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a thick callus [on the tendon itself]. I will defer to Theca, but if it isn't troubling you (and you aren't having fevers, unexplained weight loss, etc), I would just mention it at the next visit. However, if you want a reasonably thorough answer, wait for Theca. She's good.

On the other hand, if it becomes painful or interferes with walking, see someone sooner. Pain suggests inflammation such as tendonitis.

Achilles Tendonitis

Podiatrist answer to footforum query "Achilles tendon has a lump"

[ February 25, 2004, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Zan, go see a podiatrist, and if necessary insist that he take an xray. I had a lump growing under one of my toenails years ago (ouch) that went undiagnosed until it was nearly too painful to walk. It was just a calcium deposit (whew!), but I was very glad when it was gone. Better to find out than worry if you're going to die (or wish you would because your feet hurt so bad).
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Thanks for the help everyone. It's not really on the achilles tendon, though. I described it as being right where the top of the shoe rubs mainly because I got about 3 new pairs of shoes within a month of each other and they all seemed to rub me there. I thought that might have caused it. It's located on the top of the heel bone.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Hmmm, that sounds like it is at the insertion point of the tendon.

zgator, it's a shame I can't examine your ankles across the ethernet. However, the very lascivious sight might give me an attack of the vapors. *prepares to swoon at the thought

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

If you ever got a look at my little toes, you really would swoon. They're pretty weird looking. The nail is on the side.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*peeks

*vaporizes

Oh, zgator ... [Wink]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been called a heel and a lump before. I know that doesn't help, but any medical advice I would give probably would.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, if there's still a CT around, I have an acute pain on the top of my foot that hurts when I move or take a step. I think it's possibly due to the fact that I was sparring a friend of mine without pads last night, and may have kicked him with the top of my foot... It didn't hurt until I woke up this morning... Is there any diagnoses from the Hatrack doctors? Also, tell me what to do so I don't cry while I'm walking to my classes.... (dies)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Ryuko, dying will take care of that pain.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
You need to supply a little information about WHERE the foot hurts, and with what activities, etc.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Ummm... It's on my right foot, on the ummmm... y'know where the instep is? It's above that... Along my tendons in my foot, I guess. It hurts when I go up on my tiptoes when I'm walking. I can't describe it... (bad at describing)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
jeniwren, my sister in law had one of those things under her finger nail - it was really painful for her and she was also very glad to get it out, though not happy she has to wait for a new nail to grow in.

Since this is a foot problem thread, I just wanted to point out my sprained ankle still hasn't healed,it still rolls over on me when I walk occasionally and hurts when I flex my foot.

I don't guess there's any way to speed the healing process, is there? It's getting kind of annoying.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anything you can do about ugly feet?

Also, why do sandals get all slicked up and gross-feeling, while sneakers worn barefoot do not?

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko, was the person you were kicking your arch enemy, by any chance?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Is a toe that's turned forest-green (but not painful) a bad thing?
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Probably depends on why it has turned green.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

If it was lime green, I'd be worried. Forest green - not so much.+
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Noemon - Nope. I make it a common occurance to beat my friends up. [Big Grin] Watch out all y'all!

But seriously, I play-spar a lot with my other friends in Tae Kwon Do... Unfortunately sparring without pads is a bad idea.

I'm sure it's just a bruise....

lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, why do sandals get all slicked up and gross-feeling, while sneakers worn barefoot do not?
I would say the opposite is true . . .
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Sneakers without socks?! *twitch*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Noemon: [ROFL]

(He hasn't a leg to stand on. I toed you so!)

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
We're talking Keds, here. The perfect shoe. They don't get slimy when I wear them barefoot. However, I stopped wearing sandals at 10 because I couldn't stand the black, slippery footbeds. These were "quality" sandals, too. But they gave me the willies.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle - You are wearing some sort of a brace aren't you?
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my classmates is in the hospital with viral meningitis. That's not as bad as bacterial meningitis, right? How contagious is the virus?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

CT, [Smile]

We could have a ball with the puns this topic provides, but I'd feel like kind of a heel turning a serious medical thread into a pun thread.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.