FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Single Mothers and Society (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Single Mothers and Society
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
anal sex between heterosexuals is not prohibited anywhere. Not at all in the sodom and gomorrah tale either.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
**pulls out dictionary**

Misandry...
misandry...
hmmmm...

**sits tight, waiting for a valid point from OSC-fan**

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC-fan, chapter and verse, please.

[ March 01, 2004, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
anal sex between heterosexuals is not prohibited anywhere.
My understanding was that the recently struck-down Texas law was not agains gay sex, but agains sodomy in any form.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

yeah I know. I think I'm done feeding the troll. Syn I really liked your initial point in this thread. What do you think about moving to a lower cost of living area? I realize it might take some resources to move but not actually that many. I've moved on extremely low budgets before.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC-fan, you're displaying a remarkable ignorance of what the actual sins of the Cities of the Plains WERE. [Smile]

Seriously, I still have trouble believing that you're not deliberately joking; your devotion to your faith is exceeded only by your lack of understanding of it.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Ah, found it! It's newer than my dictionary
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I get that sense of disbelief (they can't be serious) in discussions on Hatrack sometimes.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Don't be so hard on me. I just didn't know the word off the top of my head. [Dont Know] [Wink]
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, no, Sodomy is named after the city due to the assumption it happened in the city, not the other way around.

That assumption is not exactly born out by the text.

[ March 01, 2004, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

[Roll Eyes]
http://www.drlaura.com/about/
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=physiology

[ March 01, 2004, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
And in one sense, Dr. Laura does have a degree in Gym -- physiology, actually.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Dr. Laura has a degree in physiology, so referring to it as a "degree in gym" was merely a slight exaggeration.

And your argument is circular: it's called sodomy because of Sodom, so it's clear what they did there.

Again I ask you: chapter and verse, please. And if you can't do that, how about writings from a specific bible commentary?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Genesis 13:4-5, men wanting to "know" other men:

4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:
5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.

Jude 1:7, going after strange flesh:
7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to bfornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the evengeance of eternal fire.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Good, we agree (although are you sure it's not Genesis 19?) -- there is a biblical prohibition against homosexuality. I expect the second source is NT, since I am unfamiliar with it.

In any case, I disagree with many of OSC-fan's points, but MOSTLY with her lack of backing up what she says. Doing it for her doesn't solve the problem.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash]
I'm not talking about personal responsibility or Sodom and Gommarrah (Though some have stated that it was destroyed for inhospitibility and not for homosexuality, though it's irratating when they don't point out the part where Lot's daughters got him drunk and had his children!)
I'm talking about what solid thing can be done to positively change things for workers!
Even a lot of religious oranizations have gotten involved in trying to create a basic living wage so that the working poor doesn't have to rely on limited charitable resources....

And also, my rent is fairly cheap... I've got to find a way to better my lot in life though...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*hugs Synesthesia*

AJ

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to better your lot in life you're going to have to either get experience and/or education to allow you to move into higher paying jobs. That's they way people have been doing it for a long time, now.

As for single moms that are suddenly in dire financial straits with small children to care for - I think we need quality, subsidized childcare. None of them are going to perform their jobs well if they're terrified of the place they had to leave their children, because it was all they could afford. On-site daycares are wonderful, so you can visit the kids during lunch hours, I think more companies should look at this.

I think companies should be open to flex time, job share, telecommuting, etc. My company was, and when I thought I was only having one child, I was planning on staying home and telecommuting four days a week, coming in a half day one Fridays for departmental meetings and to drop off, pick up anything I needed that couldn't be emailed. It would have been great, until my boss resigned and the new one wasn't for it, and I found out I was expecting twins, so it made it a little less doable. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with one thing OSC-Fan is saying.

People should take more responsibility for there lives.

Most people here on Hatrack due.

However, blaming the problems of the poor on the fact that they don't take responsiblity, is just an excuse not to deal with the problem.

Even buying copies of Dr. Laura's books, and passing them out to women in shelters would be an attempt, I believe misguided, to deal with the problem.

Buy saying, "You dear child made a mistake. Now live with it. I didn't make that mistake so I am better than you." is arrogant, and unconstructive.

To scream, "People need to take responsibility" may make you feel good. The question is, how do we get them to do it? What does that responsiblity include? How do we break the cycle of poverty and pregnancy. And I don't mean, how should they do it. I mean what can we do to make it happen.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I agree with both Dan and Belle!

AJ

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
And I agree with Dan and AJ!

Hugs all around.

[Group Hug]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

quote:
Banna, first of all I don't know if you are a Mormon, but I know I am one and I spend Sunday with my family therefore I couldn't be here in this forum to answer to your posts because I observe the Sabbath.
Okay, I just got back from lunch with my wife. I was talking to her about our little discussion here and this point that OSC-fan makes just keeps hitting me in the wrong places. I don't mean to derail the thread, but I think I need to address this.

Show me in any talk or scripture or any other medium in LDS doctrine that it says 'don't go on the internet on Sunday?' I find it very hard to understand how debating issues about your religion is a bad thing to do on the Sabbath. In fact this is among very few things that we can do to increase our testimonies.

I'm sorry, this really got to me.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
To be charitable to OSC-fan, I understood her statement to mean that she'd spent the whole day with her family and consequently hadn't been online at all.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Thanks for clarifying. If it's a personal decision than I won't argue.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Scottneb or Kat, do LDS refer to Sunday as the Sabbath?

I know rivka has a very specific definition of "Shabbos" and that isn't it. My understanding was that Sabbath was from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday.

In the fundamentalist Christianity in which I was raised, we never called Sunday the sabbath. In fact calling it such was viewed as technically wrong. Going to church was under the New Testament "Not forsaking the assembling of yourselves together" clause, not the "Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy" clause of the Old Testament

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

I don't know about LDS, but many Christian groups do (or at at least used to?) refer to Sunday as the Sabbath. One of the reasons I prefer to say Shabbos (when I will be understood) -- less ambiguity. [Smile]

The main reason is laziness -- that's what I call it in my head. [Big Grin]

(Oh, and to be precise, it's sundown Friday to full dark Saturday.)

[ March 01, 2004, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, THIS single mother had a lovely Sunday with her three kids -- after church we went out and played laser tag, then went bowling, then went to an all-you-can-eat buffet. (Yes, I know -- I dropped a lot of money yesterday. But my kids are almost grown and I want to enjoy each day I have with them yet). We had a great time.

And I wasn't on Hatrack at all! But not because of some Sabbath thing -- rather it was because it rained, which killed our phone line (we have problems with our phone in the country) and our internet connection at home is dial-up. So it was forced no-internet for the day. (Just as well)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

In response to AJ, the Sabbath is Sunday. The day of rest. God created the universe in six days and on the seventh he rested. Likewise we do the same.

The reasoning behind it is to spend a day out of the week reflecting on our beliefs and not on work or finances or anything that will take away from the 'closer to God' feeling.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
There's usually a talk on keeping the Sabbath day holy every General Conference, and someone will point out that the crowds at Wal-Mart on Sunday in 97% Mormon towns is proof that we all need to work on it.

[ March 01, 2004, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.