FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hi! I'm new

Author Topic: Hi! I'm new
want2write
Member # 6253

- posted      Profile for want2write   Email want2write         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read the books of OSC, but either I'm willing to, listen to audio CDs or wait for a movie to come out.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Go away.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
hey! you're welcome, and having read his books is hardly a requirement, although most people have, considering this is his website [Razz] but stay and welcome
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
That was mean [Smile]

Welcome to Hatrack, want2! If you don't have an opinion on gay marriage yet, I think we've got a few extras lying around ...

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay fine.

Welcome want2write, we're glad you're here.

[Smile]

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to talk about movies based on OSC's books, you've come to the right forum. [Big Grin]

I recommend Ender's Game as your first book by OSC. That's the first one I read (although when I read it he didn't have quite the volume of titles that he does now). It's also arguably the most referred-to book around here.

But you don't have to have read lots of OSC to participate here. Plenty of topics get tossed around.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't listen to these "you don't have to read his books", sugar-coated replies. You do have to read one, or you'll be shot.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hi
Member # 5289

- posted      Profile for Hi           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, welcome.

Since you have never read any of OSC's books, I'm assuming (judging from your nick), that you originally came here for the writer's workshop?

I myself came here first from a link from an old Ender's Game movie article, then to the writers workshop, then worked my way through various forums here, before finally settling into the open discussion area. I'm no longer the insatiable OSC fan I once was but I still stay and read the forums regularly because this is indisputably the best online community I've ever encountered.

Me thinks honestly, that you will love it here. [Smile]

Why don't you give OSC's books a shot? Rather than listening to a book on tape or just waiting for the movie to come out, why don't you actually read one of his books? Trust me, it's infinitely enjoyable that way. Read Ender's Game. I've lent it to a number of my friends and they have all come to the unanimous conclusion that it was a great book. I've read his other books too and while they are not, in opinion quite up to par with Enders game, they're still quite good.

<grin> You will like it.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm your resident misanthrope. Feel free to ignore my posts.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frameshifter
Member # 2967

- posted      Profile for Frameshifter           Edit/Delete Post 
And I take it Da_Goat is the head of the Hatrack Gestapo.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to all newbies ! [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hi, I'm your resident misanthrope.
(((((((((((Primal Curve))))))))))))))
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, w2w!

You don't have to read the books, though print is by far the best way to experience them, (either by reading them or having them read to you). Listening to them on tape or CD is second best, so long as you give them your full attention. Watching the movie is a distant third. Especially since we may all grow old and die before the movie ever gets made. [Smile]

Hatrack has reading services available, for the reading impaired, if you want to take advantage of them. Volunteers will read OSC books to you over AIM, as well as other popular SF or Fantasy titles, or other things as well, as it suits you and your reader. Lord of the Rings is very popular lately, for instance, and The Hobbit.

If you use the service because you just like being read to, as many of us do, the ideal way is to listen and read along in your own copy as you go. Because the bandwidth of the online voice channels is not the greatest, it helps to keep things understandable, and cuts down on the need to stop your reader for repeats.

You have to have a sound card and speakers, of course, to make this work. (People who want to volunteer to be readers have to have a microphone as well, but they are available for like $10 at Wal-Mart or CompUSA.)

If you'd like to get set up with a reader, contact me at the email address in my profile. (annekateard@bham.rr.com)

[ February 29, 2004, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: aka ]

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

quote:
And I take it Da_Goat is the head of the Hatrack Gestapo.
No, not yet. I don't make the rules; I just remind total strangers of them when I'm in the mood for it.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
ahlan wsahlan, new one. I would also recommend you read EG, and the subsequent books in the Ender/Bean series. Then Alvin Maker. Then the Worthing Saga. Then Women of Genesis. Then Pastwatch. Then...

ak, I didn't know Hatrack did that! You aren't pulling the poor newbie's leg, are you?

[ February 29, 2004, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

SM, of course not! Would you like to volunteer to be a reader? It's great fun getting to read your favorite books to people!

Get a microphone and join us!

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, want2write. My advice... just dive in. Grab one of his paperbacks and begin reading. Even his books written in series are fairly easy to get into without feeling as if you've missed something. In fact, read them out of order. That could be kind of fun.

aka... that really is cool. Maps would be a really good candidate for something like that.

Try Maps in a Mirror: The Short Fiction of Orson Scott Card, want2. It's out in paperback form.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, want2write! [Wave]

Don't worry about not having read OSC, I was a member of the forums for about 8 months before I finally picked up "Ender's Game" and read it. That's the only one I've read so far. So don't worry, you're not alone. [Wink]

I'm Raia, and it's nice to meet you! [The Wave]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Ak, could you keep me in mind for reading aloud... I can't do it now, there's school, but I could do it over the summer.... [Big Grin] Thanks!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome.

If you have any questions about shoes, I'm your girl. [Wink]

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome. [Hat] [Hat]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

Sure, Abby! I'll count you in for the summer, then. Anyone else who wants to be a reader or be read to, give me a shout.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy haberdashery, Batman. i'm not the newest guy around here any more.

Batman: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
Catwoman: Marry me.
Batman: Everything except that.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
(((want2write)))

It's great to have you here with us, actually. I always like greeting new members. Ignore the trolls, they mean no harm.

Anyway, welcome to our community! [Wave]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
And the irony award goes to . . .
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
...LOTR: ROTK!

Well, it's won everything else tonight.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
rofl, imogen.

Welcome wtw. Good screenname. Even when you aren't posting, we'll know that you want to.

Maybe if you told us a little about yourself, we could suggest a good OSC series/book to start with. The default choice is really Ender's Game but there are many great ones to choose from.

As for wanting to write, you've also come to the right place. And you might poke around the other parts of the website to see what sorts of things Hatrack has to offer.

Great place for aspiring writers.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, nice to meet you! Hope to see you around. If you get scared (these folks have very long teeth, and can sometimes nibble) you're welcome back at my newbie's campsite for some hot chocolate and dried squid. See you around!
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you get scared (these folks have very long teeth, and can sometimes nibble) you're welcome back at my newbie's campsite for some hot chocolate and dried squid.
Sachiko, that really only applies to Slash, and you hardly ever see his teeth when he eats you. He usually just swallows ya whole... one gulp. No chomping involved. No mess... no fuss... at least for him anyways. [Big Grin]
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

quote:
Sachiko, that really only applies to Slash, and you hardly ever see his teeth when he eats you.
What about Trogdor?
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

[Mad]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome W2W.

Don't worry. Reading anything by Card, while appreciated, is not neccesary (though it would help keep Hatrack alive).

Reading everything by Tolkien, however, is mandatory.

As is being able to do a darn good pirate impersonation when the mood hits the forum.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome want2write!!

I'm semi-new here too, but I've been reading for quite some time. But basically we're in the same boat. And don't let those other mean guys scare you off!! [Big Grin]

Just kiddin, guys. [Razz]

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Trogdor)))

Ignore the burniator, Trogdor. He's a softy in his heart, really. I know.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.