FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gross Anatomy

Author Topic: Gross Anatomy
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Gross Anatomy
quote:
Real human bodies. Von Hagens has invented a chemical process that effectively transforms the tissues and organs of cadavers into a lifelike, pliable plastic, which he then painstakingly dissects and places on display. His works are not pallid husks laid out on slabs. They are fleshy pink, peeled, pulled apart, and displayed in dynamic, even outrageous poses. A figure labeled Muscle Man stands upright, flayed bare and proudly dangling his full cloak of skin from one hand.
This article fascinated me. On one hand, I was a bit squicked that these were actual humans and not artificial. When I first opened the magazine and saw the pictures, that's what I assumed. On the other hand, I couldn't take my eyes away.

If the exhibit ever comes near, I might have to go, although I think I would feel like I was disrespecting the dead. All the cadavers used were freely donated before the person died, though, so I guess they don't mind.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Here you go celia.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
ick
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't find the link now, but I read about this a month or so ago. And, the thing is, the article I read at the time stated there have been issues over the "voluntariness" of the cadaver donations. It appears that at least a couple in his possession were of executed prisoners from China. He claims he has culled his collection of any of questionable origin.

I think there might also have been a question about whether or not the deceased or their families thought they might have been making the donation of the body for research or medical training purposes, rather than entertainment, (or art, if your prefer).

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the 80s when they were first developing this technique (and performing it on fruit primarily, if I recall), I really wanted to have this done to my body after I died. Anymore I don't really care at all about what happens to my body once I'm finished with it, but this would be pretty cool.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I believe von Hagens claimed it was for teaching purposes as in teaching the layperson. It might be a morbid fascination that would get me there, but I do think it would be educational.

On thing I found interesting was that the bodies are referred to as cadavers and not corpses. All information about the donators is kept anonymous, so they can do this. Otherwise, the exhibit would be considered a traveling cemetary and be illegal.

Noemon, do you think you get to pick what position your put in if donate?

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, reminds me of the cadavers in our college anatomy lab. The smell of formaldehyde. It was always right before lunch, so I was always really hungry. Looked like chicken....
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
porteiro_head: what?

[ March 01, 2004, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: lcarus ]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what this thread is really about, but I liked the movie...

[Razz]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading some TIME piece about an art exhibit which consisted of stolen corpses set in glass.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe so zgator. What position would you pick? I can guess mack's.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.