FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rules to live by

Author Topic: Rules to live by
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Perform random acts of kindness. Do something nice and generous for someone at least once a month, but not more often than once a week. That would be stalking, and the courts could get involved.

When you are given a gift, never insult the giver with negative comments about the gift or by insinutating that you don't like it. Just ask if you can have the receipt.

Answer all questions with a complete sentence. For example, if someone asks "When is your anniversary?" you should respond by saying "The date of our anniversary is unknown to me." If a person asks "How are you?" instead of just saying "fine," you should respond by saying, "That is really none of your business. And quit doing those random acts of kindness toward me or I may have to get a restraining order."

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Read the whole thread before replying.

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it's probably time for me to update my list again.

[ March 02, 2004, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Violence is never an acceptable solution.
TD -- I don't know how serious this list is to you. If it is serious, how literal are you in this statement? Or to put it another way, to what extreme to you believe in it? (the most extreme, of course being "never", which is what it says)
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
*ack*

Too many rules! I didn't read all of them, but sicne someone already starting questioning Tom on his beliefs (and we all know he needs to keep his post count up to hold off Bob's onslaught) I have to say that I completely disagree with you about finishing books you don't like. There are so many things out there to read it would take more lifetimes than you've got to get through them all. Why on Earth would you waste precious reading time on something that you don't even enjoy?

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm as extreme as it gets on that one, MPH. But I think the word you might want to really concentrate on, instead of "never," is "acceptable."

I will never accept violence as a solution to anything. But I will occasionally tolerate it, because something people are stupid or foolish or even unlucky enough to get themselves into situations from which they lack the facility to extricate themselves without it.

-----

BtL, I guess an implicit rule, one on which that one is contingent, is "Read Faster."

[ March 02, 2004, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really curious about rule 98. Can you explain?
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Rule #74 hurts my heart... [Frown]

quote:
74. Travel constantly, but avoid flat Midwestern states.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
#16 - Never buy Chinese food from a guy named "Bubba".
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
#22 Dorothy Parker is not a role model.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my rules:

#1 Always keep an open mind.

#2 Never pass up free chocolate.

#5 Smile- Surprisingly it does make you feel better, and it scares your enemies.

#8 Strive to have high friends in low places and low friends in high places.

#15 Everybody is somebody, including your waiter, cleaning crew, parking attendant, or worst enemy.

#18 There are few crimes lower than destoying someone's faith for your own pleasure.

#27 Give everyone the benefit of the doubt, just don't forget why you doubted them in the first place.

#33 Whenver forced to choose between A or B, always choose C.

#45 The universe as we know it is only about 10% fact. The rest is suppostion, imagination, bias, assumption, prejudice, deduction, and expectation if not down right illusion. And I think that 10% number is high.

#46 The secret to magic is the manipulation of that 90%.

#58 Laying blame has only one use, to give you an excuse not to deal with the problem.

#59 Punishing the scapegoat just leaves you with the bloated corpse of a goat to deal with, along with the original problem.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
#101 Everyone should always be sure to read the entire thread before posting.
Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
#115 - Start your list of rules on a high number and people will think you're extremely principled.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Two good rules for living:

1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom: So who is your favorite Muppet?

I vacillate between Beaker, Lew Zealand and Gonzo. Although I'm also partial to Rowlf.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I am slightly ashamed -- although I should not be, I'm sure -- to admit that Kermit is my favorite Muppet. I know this is like saying Paul's your favorite Beatle, but what can you do?
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Ah, but Tom, even those of us on the Muppet fringes recognize that wihout Kermit there are no Muppets. The little green guy is the heart and soul (and brain) of the whole enterprise and unlike Mickey Mouse, even though he has reached iconic status he still is interesting and, oddly enough, very human.

Besides, Kermit still does a slow burn better than Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler or any of those other comic wannabes.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*had a crush on Kermit*

Have you ever heard him sing "If I were a poet?" *dreamy*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were a poet
I would write a sonnet
It would say I love you
Your name would be on it.
(Tra la la la la la la la la la .........)

[ March 02, 2004, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: UofUlawguy ]

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I never liked the muppets much.

I do like Grover, though.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my latest rule:
Never tell God what you WILL NOT do.

The simplest explanation is most often correct, but sometimes the simplest solution is wrong in very interesting ways.

Never ask a woman if she is pregnant.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Rule: People's feelings matter. When deciding whether to open your mouth, give great weight to the consequences to the feelings of others.

Rule: Bottling anger up inside is not the only alternative to expressing it. Just let it go.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
#1 No.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I truly do try to abide by this one:

#832 No more than 5 non sequiturs per day (that includes all verbal and written communications).

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
#17) "At least once in your life, everyone should fall headlessly, giddilly, stupidly silly, sacharinly sweet and gooey in love."

And Bob--the Pregnant question, [ROFL] that is sooo true.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Rule 0: Try hard not to lie to strangers. Try harder not to lie to people you care about. Try hardest not to lie to yourself.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have at least two hobbies that involve creation
I so read this as "Have at least two hobbits."
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom -- does your belief that "Violence is never an acceptable solution." only apply to violence against humans? For example, are you against the killing of animals, trees, grass, insects, etc?

I might be missing the point entirely, because I didn't understand what you meant as to the emphasis being on "acceptable".

I promise I am not being sarcastic, purposely obtuse, nor am I trying to pick a fight.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, we don't quote Tom Waits nearly enough on this board:
quote:
Never drive a car when you're dead

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.