FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What did Jack and Jill do on the hill?

Author Topic: What did Jack and Jill do on the hill?
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the reason behind the rhyme? The book Heavy Words Lightly Thrown, recently written by Chris Roberts makes the claim that nursery rhymes have alterior meanings. Here is the website of The Guardian, the British newspaper, that outlines the thoughts provided by Roberts.

Here is another link that talks about the same thing, on a Scottish news network.

So, what do you all think? Do you think this makes sense, and could be grounded on something reasonable... or is it as ridiculous as claiming that a sponge (Spongebob Squarepants) is gay?

Also, do you think that places around the world might start banning Nursery Rhymes as they have been known to ban other childrens' works in the past?

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack and Jill wet up the hill to smoke some marajuana...

You dont want to hear the rest, trust me.

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it had something to do with some kind of politics in England. And I think when Jack 'broke his crown' he was actually beheaded or something, and Jill after. I don't recall who they parodied, though.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Good Gravy! Children's rhymes have oodles of disturbing things in them. Yet they are wonderful, all the same. It's like "Finding Nemo" today - there are things mainly for the kids, but there are subtexts for the adults to enjoy. Same with fairy tales.

Also, are you aware that "Jack and Jill" has another verse (if not more?)

Up Jack got, and home did trot
As fast as he could caper,
He went to bed and soaked his head
In vinegar and brown paper.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I always forget that there's a second verse, though I know I've heard it before.

It's like how Ring Around the Rosie is about the Bubonic Plague

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Yes, Jenny, there is a second verse... but did you know that there's also an alternate second verse? This one, I think, describes better what the author of this book is trying to say...

Up Jack got, and home did trot
To old Dame Dob, who patched his nob,
With vinegar and brown paper.

This one is less appropriate, but more to the point of the articles!

There's even ANOTHER one:

Then up Jack got,
And home did trot,
Dame Gill did the job,
To plaster his nob,
With vinegar and brown paper.

Then Jill came in,
And she did grin,
To see Jack's paper plaster;
Her mother whipped her,
Across her knee,
For laughing at Jack's disaster.

So, you see, yours was the slightly sugar-coated version!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh thank you! I knew there was more to it!
Isn't it fun?

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Hehe, anytime. [Smile]

It is! I thought it was fascinating!

Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. My God. It burns.

Actually, Jack "the enforcer" and Jill "the fist" went up the hill to get water for Jimmy the snitch's concrete overshoes. Jack was shot in the head by a sniper from the Chinese mafia and Jill dropped and rolled to get out of the line of fire.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that snopes has killed the whole ring-a-round-the-rosie rumor ...
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, ring around the rosies is with a high degree of certainty unrelated to the black death.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you think this makes sense, and could be grounded on something reasonable... or is it as ridiculous as claiming that a sponge (Spongebob Squarepants) is gay?
quote:
It's like "Finding Nemo" today - there are things mainly for the kids, but there are subtexts for the adults to enjoy.
Neither of these are valid comparisons, really. The class of children's rhymes we're talking about originated as political demagoguery. (Haven't read the link, but this is pretty common knowledge). Ring Around the Rosie is about the Great Plague, Humpty was Richard III, Baa Baa protests the export tax...
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.htm

Ring around the Rosie has nothing to do with the black death.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Richard. You big goober.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I recall reading that the original Little Red Riding Hood involved the Big Bad Wolf convincing her to take off her clothes and climb into bed with him, where he killed and ate her.

I guess the moral of the story is either don't trust strangers, or Grandma is Seriously !@##@!#$!ed up.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*pies Slash*
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
From Snopes:
quote:
Ring, a ring o' roses,
A pocket full o' posies,
Up-stairs and down-stairs,
In my lady's chamber --
Husher! Husher! Cuckoo!

Hmmmm. That sounds either more or substantially less sinister, depending.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
um, Spongebob is gay!

-o-

Normally, Snopes is an excellent site, but that is the most unconvincing explanation I have ever read from them. They're pretty convincing that it could not be a six-hundred year old rhyme, but that doesn't preclude this version of the rhyme from having that meaning. Likewise, the existence of other versions and the theory that this began as a "ring game" does not mean that this version is not about the plague. We've been telling stories about the plague for centuries, so the rhyme doesn't need to be six hundred years old to be about that. All they have really established is the rhyme's age. (And yet, they worded their "refutation" awfully strongly . . . I wonder what had their panties in a bunch.)

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I disagree as to its strength.

They point out that:

1) It arose only well, well after the plague.

2) It lends itself far more to an inccocuous interpretation even in the most "plague-inspired" form.

3) The "plague-inspired" form(s) are the exception rather than the rule among the many variants, which appear to have arisen roughly at the same time, and some of which appear to predate the most "plague-y" parts of the song such as "Ashes, ashes" (which isn't even particularly related to the plague).

4) It is very clearly a circle dancing song.

5) Everything in most of the versions makes perfect sense as a circle dancing song without reading any ulterior motives into the words.

6) The idea that its about the plague didn't arise until a good number of years after the song itself did, as far as we can tell, and comes from a single source of descent.

Is there a tiny, remote possibility it may be about the plague? Yes, in the same way there's a tiny, remote possibility most of Shakespeare's plays weren't authored by him. But its incredibly unlikely.

fugu13
Member # 2859

I think their vehemence is largely due to the liberty so many feel justified in taking with literary meaning and motivation -- for instance with L. Frank Baum, as they mention.

Literary meaning may be taken from a piece that is unrelated to the author's intent, but it is a fallacy to project that meaning backward as authorial intent. And in this case its more than a bit of a stretch to see the plague meaning in the poem already, much less authorial intent.

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
The someone should tell my nineth grade world history teacher that.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
So, Jack and Jill went up the hill either because they were doing the nasty, a Cardinal and a Bishop trying to arrange the marriage of Mary Tudor, or it could have possibly been Jack and Gill who went up the hill and like the Scandinavian myth about Hjuki and Bil who were captured by Mani (a moon god) and can been seen on the moon, carrying a pail, but only when the moon is full. Any others?

Book, here is the original. It doesn't say anything about that. But it is longer than I remember. I don't think I ever read anything after the first wolf. (okay, I'm linking to a site that calls it an "alternate ending" but other websites list it as the entire story.) http://mld.ursinus.edu/Maerchen/grimmred.html

Here are other version of it, too. Apparently, this was a well-told oral tale long before the Grimm brothers got to it.

http://mld.ursinus.edu/Maerchen/altver.html

Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
The one I've always wondered about is "Three Blind Mice":

Three Blind Mice
Three Blind Mice
See how they run
See how they run
They all ran after the farmer's wife
Who cut off their tails with a carving knife
Did you ever see such a sight in your life
As three blind mice

I've never heard a good explanation for that one... but the publisher's website says it's about taxation (????)

http://www.footandmouthwalkingtours.co.uk/pages/publications.htm

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1) It arose only well, well after the plague.
Irrelevant.

quote:
2) It lends itself far more to an inccocuous interpretation even in the most "plague-inspired" form.
I don't agree. The existence of innoccuous versions does not mean that the version we best remember is not about the plague. And I can't think of a better, innoccuous explanation for that version.

quote:
3) The "plague-inspired" form(s) are the exception rather than the rule among the many variants, which appear to have arisen roughly at the same time, and some of which appear to predate the most "plague-y" parts of the song such as "Ashes, ashes" (which isn't even particularly related to the plague).
Irrelevant. And "ashes, ashes" can quite easily be related to the plague.

quote:
4) It is very clearly a circle dancing song.
Irrelevant.

quote:
5) Everything in most of the versions makes perfect sense as a circle dancing song without reading any ulterior motives into the words.
Irrelevant.

quote:
6) The idea that its about the plague didn't arise until a good number of years after the song itself did, as far as we can tell, and comes from a single source of descent.
Irrelevant.

As I said before, they have made a pretty convincing case that this song is not six-hundred years old. And there are other versions, and it's a circle dancing song (Well, duh!). The lines of the version I know fit very well with a plague interpretation (all the way down to "We all fall down"!). Obviously we can never know, because we can't ask the author. But their claim that this is "nonsense" and your claim that it's only "a tiny, remote possibility" and that it's "incredibly unlikely" are very overstated.

[ March 03, 2004, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: lcarus ]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidyanna
Member # 6148

- posted      Profile for kidyanna   Email kidyanna         Edit/Delete Post 
i like fairy tales and nursery rhymes... and even more so if there is some dark underlaying truth behind them [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
I think this song is about Vietnam.
http://soundamerica.com/sounds/themes/Schoolhouse_Rock/interjct.wav

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
More "Ring around the Rosie" debunking:

http://www.ualberta.ca/~imunro/ring.html

http://www.urbanlegends.com/misc/ring_around_the_rosie.html

These present some more convincing arguments, I think.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

They are not irrelevant, they are circumstantial, which is very different.

There is not a single bit of direct evidence tying the poem to the plague (or any other concrete meaning). As such, it is necessary to interpret the available circumstantial evidence. The available circumstantial evidence points extremely strongly to it being a silly rhyme for spring/summertime circle dances with no bearing on the plague whatsoever.

To quote the first of Jon Boy's references:

quote:
You're welcome to your delusions, but please air them elsewhere. Given the evidence at hand, in order to believe in the plague interpretation you must follow one of two lines of logic:
a) Created in 1665 (or, better still, in 1340), the rhyme quickly went underground: for over 100 years (or 450 years) no one would dare mention it in public. Then, suddenly, it wasn't a secret anymore.

b) In the late 18th century a group of Americans thought it would be neat to invent a rhyming game that was filled with references to disgusting aspects of an ancient epidemic in a foreign country.

If you want to travel down one of these roads, be my guest.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
If everyone thinks the song is about the plague, doesn't that mean it is, even if that was not the original intention.

I don't think this can acurately be compared to L. Frank Baum. If I understand clearly they are refering to the debate over the gold standard and Dorthy's silver shoes? In the case of Baum, the issue is clearly political commetary, which is worthless after the fact except in the historical sense. So it would make a difference whether or not Baum intended it to be about the gold standard (introduce historical inaccuracies) while it makes very little difference whether or not Ring around the Rosie was originally meant to refer to the Black death if it does refer to it now.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

The assertion that right now when people sing it they're talking about the plague is somewhat up in the air, however the assertion that it was written to be about the plague is fairly clearly not.
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
The metaversion I heard tagged it for the 1665 plague in London, making it a bit more believable, but given the evidence it's not worth arguing. The original point was, finding subtexts in Mother Goose rhymes is not the same as digging for hidden meaning in SpongeBob, because the innuendo was intended from the beginning.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.