FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I cannot enjoy soft drinks anymore.

Author Topic: I cannot enjoy soft drinks anymore.
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
This was inspired by the eating/drinking thread, but is not really on topic there. It might also serve as a jumping off point for a general nutrition discussion.

I just cannot enjoy soft drinks such as Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, Mt. Dew, and their equivalents. I have not liked the Mt. Dew type drinks from a very young age, about eight or nine. Coke I like sometimes, but only from a cold can. Dr. Pepper is just too... something except sometimes at restaurants. Sprite and 7up are both too sugary.

So since my taste has changed, and I am trying to cut out all caffeine and a lot of processed sugar out of my diet, I looked at other stuff. Juices are ok but I worry about how healthy they are. Probably better than a coke, though. Root beer is ok, but my favorite type has a bit of caffeine. Also, some root beer (Mug) does not deserve the name. Milk is good, but not as healthy as many people believe. Unfortunately, I cannot abide skim milk, and prefer whole, so I worry about fat. Other alternatives have similar problems.

For the first time in my life, I think water is becoming my favorite beverage.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Soda is too fizzy. I only half like it
When I was a kid I liked it flat. I think they make me drink it flat at a hospital
But it's just...not healthy. It does nothing to quench ones thirst and is only good for a once in a while treat with pizza or chinese food.
Juice is the best, the cheapest is to take a lemon, a lime, squeeze the juice add water and sugar and drink, sometimes you can add pineapple juice to it and it is perfect.
Water is too plan, but I don't drink enough of it or liquids for that matter which is probably why I feel so crummy
And Pepsi is better than Coke but Tommyknocker Root Beer beats all.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I am psychologically addicted to Pepsi (which is better than coke, by the way, but i will drink coke when I can't get pepsi). Sometimes I will feel guilty enough and start drinking tons of water, but I drink more Pepsi than other stuff. Even when I don't feel like it, I drink it anyway. One reason is that it costs less than real fruit juice. The other reason is that I am also psychologically addicted to fast food. I can't believe I don't way 2000 pounds. I'll get there, though. All in good time...
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Shlomo did the same thing, Danzig, and he says he feels a lot better. He mostly drinks water as a beverage, and eats very little sugar. He prefers fruit for dessert.

I think he has made a healthy choice, but it was sort of surprising at first - this was the kid, a few years ago, who would devour a bag of big bag of candy in no time flat.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of those Sears distillers to take all the nasties out of the water. Good stuff!
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
Milk upsets my stomache, so I drink chocolate soymilk a lot. I'm not sure why but I just don't like vanilla soy milk, it has to be chocolate.

I usually just drink water but occasionally I'll have a soda. I don't like any diet sodas though.
I do like juice espescially cranberry juice with a little seltzer water in it.

Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
People think I'm weird, but since I was about 13 I've considered sodas gross. If I wanted to drink artificially-flavored corn syrup I'd do it straight from the Aunt Jemima bottle.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I also drink only filtered water if I have any choice in the matter. Soda is also relatively acidic and actually robs tissues of water in order to neutralize all the stuff in it. Of course, my sister asked how, if soda is so bad, can people still survive who drink so much of it. I figure their bodies just adapt.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to drink water all the time, but then they told us we had lead in our water. Apparently the District just forgot to replace approximately 20% of the old lead pipes with copper ones.

So now if I want water I have to buy it bottled. [Grumble]

Which means lugging it across the city from Safeway. [Grumble]

The time that the case of bottled water split and sent plastic bottles of Dasani careening all the way down Virginia Avenue in front of the Watergate was awesome, let me tell you. [Grumble] [Grumble]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
mmmm. benzaldehyde.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped drinking sodas regularly about two or three years ago. For one thing, many have caffiene, which has marked negative effects on me.. For another thing, I just don't like 'em. Blah. Anyhoos. I drink a lot of water, and some juices and artificially sweetened drinks.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to drink whatever is easiest.

Sadly this past week that has meant either pepsi or powdered iced tea. I prefer orange juice. I'll also drink whatever frozen juice has currently been mixed up. We have a Brita filtre, and milk, but I don't like the taste of milk (soy is even worse) and I'm not often in the mood for just plain water. I don't drink as much of it as I should, honestly.

I'm lazy, and I was raised on kool-aide.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Did anybody else follow OSC's advice to mix Diet Coke and orange juice? I thought it was okay, but, being diet, it was still too bitter.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Cokes seem more filling to me than anything else.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been able to drink "real" coke or pepsi for years, all far too sweet. I've recently given up on all diet drinks which contain aspartme too - have read what that stuff can DO to you?!?! [Eek!]

Nevertheless, coke & pepsi (the non-diet kind) were primarily the reason I got so fat - topped out at 130 kilos or so when I quit drinking them. I was seriously addicted and drinking litres a day. Get out of bed, drink a litre of coke. whey hey.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
<--- drinks lots and lots of "Kool-Aid"
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
<---- Just plain drinks.

Tee hee.

[ March 03, 2004, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
*Hesitates a little*

You should never take soft drinks from dispensers. I used to work at a cafeteria during my college years, and we only clean out the dispensers once a week. The sugar in the soft drinks attract a lot of roaches, and there is really no good way of cleaning those huge dispensers.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
So that's why fountain drinks always taste better!
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
1) Soda water with lemon is really good.

2) V8 is great. Especially the spicy stuff.

3)Cream Soda, baby. [Cool]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all about buying a one-gallon bottle of water (for about $1), then filling it up from the tap when you run out.

There's probably lead in the LA water, too, but as Carlin says, I'm an American. I EXPECT a little cancer in MY water.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
digging_holes - Likely your addiction is more than psychological, assuming you drink regular Pepsi which contains caffeine. Fast food is also full of chemicals which, while not classic "drugs", can induce cravings for more fast food. Personally I have tried to avoid fast food as much as possible ever since I worked at Wendy's. Hamburgers from fast food places just do not taste that good, although as that part of my life becomes more temporally remote I can handle them a bit more often.

Also, Coke is better than Pepsi, blasphemer.

Ela - My parents say that I have never had much of a sweet tooth, although I used to be able to eat five or six scoops of ice cream in one sitting. I always feel better when I have not had any caffeine (or sugar) but the problem is that everything in this entire country is geared toward that type of food. Caffeine is promoted everywhere, and I used to drink a lot of it so it is still a bad habit to order a caffeinated beverage at a restaurant if I am not thinking about it. As for sugar - well, to steal an example from someone on another website, go into a 7-11 and try to find an edible product other than eggs or water that contains no sugar. [Smile] There is one that I am forgetting, but nearly everything in the store contains loads of processed sugar. Now this may be an extreme example, but our society absolutely highly promotes the overconsumption of sugar.

pooka - I have heard much the same, but as there were several summers that I probably did not actually drink plain water a seven day period, I too wonder how on earth I actually survived.

Da_Goat - In one area of my life, I am a bigot and freely admit it. That is mixing drinks. If you have never been a regular consumer of alcoholic beverages at some point in your life, then you are not allowed to comment on mixed drinks. Diet Coke is meant to be poured down the drain; orange juice should be consumed by itself. If you insist on mixing either with something else, then vodka should be used. Either pour both it and the Diet Coke down the drain, or make a strong screwdriver. As it is impossible to add anything to OJ to make it taste better, the only reason to mix it with anything is to mask the taste of something else.

Troubador - I do not drink diet drinks for precisely that reason. Aspartame is even more evil than regular sugar.

I do like the taste of peach tea, and I think the kind I normally make is artificial. I seem to remember that it contained no caffeine, but I might be wrong about that.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also drink only filtered water if I have any choice in the matter. Soda is also relatively acidic and actually robs tissues of water in order to neutralize all the stuff in it. Of course, my sister asked how, if soda is so bad, can people still survive who drink so much of it. I figure their bodies just adapt.
I've heard that supposivly soda is less acedic then stomache acid, thus actually diluteing the ph level in one's stomach. However, it doesn't come close to how much the same amount of water would dilute it.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel for you, Kasie. [Smile] Luckily, my house was checked, and our lead levels aren't bad. I don't drink nearly as much water from the fountains at school, though.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
The phosphoric acid in some soda also reduced the amount of calcium you can get out of other food that you ate concurrently.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Here I found this.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
luthe is right. That's why the pediatricians always ask about soda consumption-- because it can effectively reduce calcium intake.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.