FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The worms crawl in... The worms crawl out...

Author Topic: The worms crawl in... The worms crawl out...
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
The worms wreak havok on my campus, and I'm a part of it... [Frown]

I was stupid and downloaded the first attachment that came by my computer with the virus on it... I have an excuse! I just got a new job, and the guy who sent the email was related to my job! I thought it was important... Of course, the very next email was the "That last email was a virus" email...

DAHHH... So now I'm battling with my computer to get that stupid worm off my email... (pouts) I was an idiot, sure, but... eh... Anyway...

So, anyone else battling with worms? It's either MyDoom or Netsky.D for those of you in the know...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. Stupid, slimy worms. (((((Ryuko)))))
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
There is no excuse for not having AntiVirus.
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

I have one, it's just rather inattentive.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
While there may not be any excuses for not having Antivirus, there remain plenty of excuses for not using/updating it. :sigh:
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
no there aren't. You can set it to update itself and then you don't even have to remember it. No virus protection update will cause problems the way some windows updates can.

No good reasons at all.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

No offense, Ryuko, but there hasn't been a virus or worm in a long time that hasn't been either patched directly by the operating system or had an antivirus definition released before it became a problem. And especially if you got the worm from work, you should seriously question their electronic security (moreso if they ever e-mail sensitive info).
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't say good REASONS, I specifically said EXCUSES. Big difference. [Wink]

If there are no excuses for not updating, then why do I hear them from ignorant people? They're lame, and I can't replicate them here, but they exist. Look, I'm not apologizing for these people, and you won't find me whining when I get hit (and it's inevitable, if you run Windows). I was just making a point. The work of educating users about viruses concerns more than just telling them to "get the software." They gotta know how and when to update. The work is never done, I tell ya. [Razz]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

To alleviate those possible problems with antivirus programs, supplement any A/V you currently have with the free AVG.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

I didn't mean to say I wasn't an idiot for getting hit... (sighs) I'm just having a bad time of it at this point... [Frown]
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
It's going around my campus as well. I got three separate emails with it.

Luckily AntiVirus has quarantined it - I've got automatic updates, but it doesn't seem to know how to fix it.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

No, no, I wasn't saying you're an idiot. However, you can use this as both a lesson to look for a less buggy A/V, and maybe to ask if your work is handling such things themselves. Would it cripple work if the computers went down? I know a few of my clients would be ground to a halt (in fact, so would my work).

For some tools to help get rid of the latest worms, check out symantec's site and even the one I just gave. AVG has a tool for removing the latest worm linked on their front page.

raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a good reason to go without Anti-Virus software.

In the past 12-15 years that I have used computers I have been infected with 2 virii. The number I have had on my machine that were dormant is slightly higher.

I don't see virii, and quite frankly I don't see spam either.

I will say that I watch my bandwidth, and processes quite closely.
The times that I have used a virus scanner, I have actually had data corruption; this is a rare occurance, and only happend because of a special situation.

I think we need to have more aware users, that do less *wrong* things, rather than relying on software to do everything for you.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Yeah. Thanks, John L. It's actually my personal computer that is sad... (Still six files that won't go away!) [Frown] I'm kind of nervous, it says they're W32.Beagle.A, but I dled the Beagle killer and it found nothing...
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko,

Don't beat yourself for this.

This has been a hellish week for virus/worm fighters. We have been having to update our virus dat files on Exchange server on the average of over twice a day.

Bagel (or Beagle -- depending on whether you are reading what Norton calls it or what McAfee calls it) has gone from Variant "a" (Bagel.a) all the way to variant "i" (Bagel.b; Bagel.c; Bagel.d; Bagel.e etc etc.) in the past two days. Same with variants of Netsky.

It must be old home week for virus writers or something -- they are almost cranking them out faster than the McAfee can write dat files to block them. Our department showed 40,000 detected infections (hits to our mail server by virus e-mails) in the last week of February (we are a company of only 1500 people.)

Everyone should update daily during this week.

Farmgirl

[ March 03, 2004, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

[Eek!] [Eek!] Jeez! That's terrible...

Edit: But as of today I am worm-free. YAY!

[ March 04, 2004, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.