FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Are there any other good forums?

Author Topic: Are there any other good forums?
shadowmaker
Member # 6155

- posted      Profile for shadowmaker           Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if there's anything besides Hatrack that i could get into, and possibly rule with an alluminum fist (I'm all out of iron) This is the best forum I could find with interesting, intelligent people on the web so far. I guess I haven't been looking too hard, but I'll be lazy and ask you guys.
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Now you may have seen that I don't fault Hobbes for not being able to spell. But he's a tiger. [Laugh] alluminum [ROFL]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always try ruling Ornery.org. They're always open to new ideas over there. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowmaker
Member # 6155

HAHA I was just thinking while i wrote this "oh man pooka's gonna make fun of me for spelling this wrong"
[Wink]

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, shadowmaker, I've been around this great big internet of ours a few times, and I can tell you something: there's nothing beyond Hatrack. The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens. You need to take advantage of that.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
*loves Philotic Web*
but, yeah...that's kind of what led me here [Razz]

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, pooka, just out of curiosity...

How often is it that you actually respond to the content of posts, rather than fixing spelling? [Wink]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowmaker
Member # 6155

What? What content? I didn't think I made enough sense to earn a reply
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, yeah, what shadowmaker said. And in Hobbes thread, I was actually preserving the bad spelling for posterity.

Actually, shadowmaker, there was the Potatoes not Prozac forum I used to be on. But it's already ruled with a medal [Wink] fist.

[ March 02, 2004, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy Pweb as well. (philoticweb.net)

I, uh, rule Pweb with a fist full of cookies.

Or not.

Yeah, probably not.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
The only ones I can think of are the ones full of, or run by, other Hatrackers, and even those are really no comparison to this place.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Not
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of good forums at Delphi. I frequent some of the religion-related ones, but they have forums on all different topics. They also have the best format of any forums I have ever seen, bar none. It's just so easy to use, and to understand the flow of conversations.

About.com uses the Delphi system, although the two companies have had a little falling out, so it's hard to get from one to the other. Anyway, the About forums are almost always excellent. My favorite, other than the LDS forums there, is the one on Atheism/Agnosticism, not because of the topic, but because the people tend to be really intelligent, well-read, and articulate (kind of like here!)

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMOd
Member # 5242

- posted      Profile for OrneryMOd   Email OrneryMOd         Edit/Delete Post 
Ornery.org is a great site, but only one person rules there.

And you are not that person. [Smile]

OrneryMod

Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides Hatrack and Ornery, I also post on kuro5hin, although I usually take quite a different tone over there. kuro5hin is a forum where all content, including front page articles is user-created. It has a much more liberal terms of service than does Hatrack or Ornery; no one cares if you get offended over there and even if they do, the person who offended you is probably not doing anything against the agreement and will not be chastised. Pretty much you can say anything you want in a comment besides spam, and you can say anything you want in an article but that might get voted down if enough people dislike it.

If you do not have thick skin, kuro5hin is probably not the forum for you. It may still be interesting to read, however. If you do, it is full of interesting topics, although you will have to deal with at least two phenomena that are much less common on Hatrack, although occasionally present. First is the fact that there are lots of trolls on kuro5hin, people who are normally not trolls but sink to the dark side, people who normally are trolls but occasionally post something that is not a troll (such as myself), and people who bite really really hard at really obvious trolls. Second are the inevitable cries of, "It was better when I started," which may or may not be true. Related to the first problem, you have to be very careful about clicking links from certain users, especially if you are at work or have small children in the room.

Still, I enjoy it quite a bit, although for different reasons than Hatrack.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
No. There are no other good forums.
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of the American gerbil Society group, but they may be a bit specialized. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Awww. Must I arrive and mention sakeriver and GreNME? Philotic web's great too, and is at least as active as Hatrack River.

(Did I mention that I belong to them all?)

I would have commented on Tom's Ornery comment, but OrneryMOd beat me to it.... [Dont Know]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowmaker
Member # 6155

Ok, by my research(which i havent done) dynomite is explosive. Oh yeah, and that Hatrack is the best forum.
bmeaker
Member # 4443

- posted      Profile for bmeaker   Email bmeaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Asimov's fourm and the Analog fourm. And on occasion I go to the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction fourm.

I also come to this one but I actually visit the Asimov's and Analog fourms more than I do this one. I have just found that at Asimov's and Analog they have more disscussion on science, technology, and science fiction stuff and less personal stuff which I don't care about. They don't have threads on stuff like "I just broke up with someone and I'm sad", or "I did this, do you think it was wrong and should I do anything about it."

Also they are smaller than this one which I like. Here I just mainly read the things about books or stories or the Ender movie, and a thing about some news story.

Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Lovers of history might enjoy ancientsites.com

I think I hae an account there. I can't remember.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also come to this one but I actually visit the Asimov's and Analog fourms more than I do this one. I have just found that at Asimov's and Analog they have more disscussion on science, technology, and science fiction stuff and less personal stuff which I don't care about. They don't have threads on stuff like "I just broke up with someone and I'm sad", or "I did this, do you think it was wrong and should I do anything about it."
So you like nerds without lives better than geeks with lives?
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bmeaker
Member # 4443

Yes, I think I do. This may have to do with the fact that I am a nerd without a life. All I do is go to class, look at things online, do stuff on the computer and read science fiction and fantasy. The only people besides my family that I really talk to are the people in my suite.

I was wondering what made the people at Asimov's and Analog nerds while the people here are geeks?

Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
We care less about trivialities in science fiction, but get more sex. It's a trade-off.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bmeaker
Member # 4443

Since I visit both forums several times a day what does that make me. But based on your explanation it seems that I am a nerd, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't describe everyone at Asimov's.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.