FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Research help...

Author Topic: Research help...
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so I'm working on a project (yes, a novel [Blushing] ), and I need some help. I need to read up on two subjects and I was hoping someone here would have some good suggestions.

First, I need to learn all about art -- you know, paintings. This is actually rather embarrassing, but I know little about painting other than the names of famous painters. I can hold my own in any discussion about music, literature and film, but I'm terribly ignorant about painting. I've only been to two museums, in fact -- and one was only because of Hatrack and specifically, KarlEd. Can anyone suggest some good books to read on the history of painting and, more importantly, the evaluation/critique of painting?

Second, and I suspect this one may be a bit more obscure, I need to learn about terminal illnesses and standard medical treatments of the early 19th century. Does anyone have any knowledge of those topics?

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Medicine in the early 1800s:

Diseases (note especially polio (in kids, primarily), cholera, TB, and smallpox)
Treatments

[ March 03, 2004, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! Thank you rivka! You've indirectly led me to a marvelous discovery! Benjamin Rush seems to be a particularly interesting character -- I'll be doing a bit of reading on him.

Now, let's just hope I stick with this dang thing. I don't like to make any promises because I'm notorious at dropping my writing projects half-way through, but you're first on the list of people to send an autographed copy to. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You're very welcome. [Smile]

And I'm going to hold you to that autographed copy promise. If you don't stick with this one, I'll accept an autographed copy of whatever you write instead. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.