FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For Love of Insects (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: For Love of Insects
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love crows. Even more so I love ravens
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Synesthesia,

I became immersed in the whole crow thing after a student asked me what the difference is between a crow and a raven. A raven is a type of crow, I learned, but in the meantime, I found this site:

http://www.shades-of-night.com/aviary/index.html

Very cool, and it has a ton of myths/legends of crows, from different cultures.

Liz

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, somehow I missed your question until now. Yeah, I read about the crow funerals--fascinating, isn't it? The only species I know of that are reputed to engage in what seems to be ritual activity upon the death of a member of their group are humans, crows, and elephants.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I did not know about the crow funerals. Amazing.

Synesthesia, have you read the fiction of Charles DeLint? He incorporates folklore and mythology into urban fairytales. Very engaging and readable, but also multi-layered -- it's right up your alley. Since he's Canadian and many of his books are out of print, you might have difficulty finding them. However, I have extra copies of many & would be glad to mail you a boxful.

BTW, he incorporates gay and lesbian characters into his novels quite matter-of-factly. And he has the Crow Girls! [Cool]

[ March 24, 2004, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah CT, isn't that fascinating? I'd love to witness that.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wrote my first fan letter - to Thomas Eisner! I praised his work and asked some questions about stinky ladybugs. I'd like to write an article about ladybug biochemistry geared toward elementary students, using his book as a reference!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.