FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Someone please send me an email

Author Topic: Someone please send me an email
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
And then post whatever error message you get here. My email is down, and I need meat to diagnose the problem. I can't send or recieve email. I'm now glad I haven't put pweb on that server yet and I'll probably take out a temp address there.

Depending on the problem, I know it might take a while to get an error reply.

Thanks

ami@geekatplay.com

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Amka, I just sent you an e-mail. I'll let you know what the error message is as asoon as I get it.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Dito
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent one twenty minutes ago, no answer of any kind yet.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent one just a couple of minutes after you posted, but I have nothing back yet. I will certainly let you know if I get something before my workday is over.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
There is also the possibility that all the emails are being absorbed by the program, it simply refuses to spit them out at me. It shows no error when I'm downloading email, but I haven't gotten one in a week and I have several daily emails such as news headlines that I should be getting. It does show an error when I try to send.

[ March 04, 2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Amka ]

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course this could just be a ploy on Amka's part to get a bunch of sympathetic emails sent to her... [Big Grin]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent an email into the air;
It fell to earth....

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Which SMTP server are you running?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent an e-mail your way.

quote:
I sent an email into the air;
It fell to earth....

Amongst the netware...
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Sent tester e-mail. Will let you know what happens.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Nothing happened.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Well, something happened - here you go!

quote:
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).

A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its
recipients after more than 24 hours on the queue on aftermath.mail.pas.earthlink.net.

The message identifier is: 1Az9J2-0003xt-00
The subject of the message is:
The date of the message is: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 19:10:15 -0800

The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:

ami@geekatplay.com
Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
host geekatplay.com [65.61.98.10]: 451 qq temporary problem (#4.3.0)

No action is required on your part. Delivery attempts will continue for
some time, and this warning may be repeated at intervals if the message
remains undelivered. Eventually the mail delivery software will give up,
and when that happens, the message will be returned to you.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Try to install/reinstall perl's setuidperl package.

The essential line is this: 451 qq temporary problem (#4.3.0)

I telnet'd to your SMTP server to see the direct response there. Up until the message is attempted to be sent, everything goes fine. The security restrictions are properly setup (qmail defaults to that, which is good), it just can't send the email.

It is most likely a permissions problem, which is often tied to setuidperl. You might also check your qmail logs, it should tell you more specifically where you're having problems.

Another possibility is its space related, though that's doubtful. Mail queue's just don't tend to grow beyond the space they're allocated (usually a few dozen megs) unless heavily in use.

Oh, in the future you may find it easier to diagnose your problems by telneting into your SMTP server as I did, which told me the relevant error message right off. Here' s pretty decent howto: http://www.yuki-onna.co.uk/email/smtp.html

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

There are other problems that could be causing this too, however the important thing to do is check the logs. For instance, a quick google found that an out of date Kaspersky virus scan key can cause this behavior, but that would show up clearly in the logs.
Shan
Member # 4550

[Hail] fugu
Shan
Member # 4550

*looks suspiciously at this thread and goes off to check another one*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.