FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question about laptop memory

Author Topic: Question about laptop memory
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to upgrade the RAM in Ruth's laptop. It's only got 192 MB, and it runs pretty slow sometimes. I've checked the specs on HP's website to find out what kind of RAM it takes, and I want to add a 256 MB module.

But I'm a little confused about compatibility. From what I can tell, it seems that not all 256 MB PC2100 200-pin SODIMM modules are created equal. Some say they're compatible only with certain brands or even specific models.

So if a RAM module doesn't say that it's compatible with this specific laptop model, can I assume it's incompatible? Is it a bad idea to buy laptop memory on eBay, because sellers don't always mention compatibility? Should I avoid generic-brand RAM in general?

[ March 04, 2004, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, you are pretty much stuck buying RAM for laptops from the manufacturer. If I were buying off of e-bay, I'd go by the part number and select only something that had the right part number.

Also, be sure to look inside at where you are planning to install this new RAM card. It might be that the slot is already filled (with a lower RAM card, but still...) If so, your bump up with a new card is going to be less than you imagined. You have to subtract for the amount of RAM on the card you are taking out.

But also, what are you trying to run on this laptop? I don't think 192Mbytes is that low for a laptop. Maybe you could get better performance improvement by limiting the programs that run on startup or with some other tweaks.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you go to www.crucial.com and put in the make and model of your laptop, they can tell you what's compatible.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Yes, I'll be taking out a smaller module (64 MB). Most of the time, the laptop runs fine. But with multiple applications open, it gets very sluggish, and things occasionally freeze.

So, generic RAM off of eBay = bad idea?

[ March 04, 2004, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I like that website. It had the right stuff for my laptop.

Seemed like pretty good prices too.

Bob

Jon..."generic?" I really didn't think there was such a thing. Laptop memory cards are fairly specific and only the most popular machines/designs are going to have memory available from anyone other than the manufacturer. In my experience.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Apparently there is. This stuff says it's generic and has limited compatibility. This stuff is also generic, but has "full" compatibility (but they say they're not responsible for incompatibility problems). So is the second one safe to buy?

[ March 04, 2004, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, I've been able to buy 3rd party memory from stores before, and as long as you've made sure that you're buying the same type of memory as your machine requires (ie: my Dell takes PC2100 RAM - limited to 512MB Max) you should be ok.

You might want to check your documentation for your laptop to see what kind of memory you can use. Jon Boy, what model laptop do you have, and I'll tell you what kind of memory is compatible with your laptop.

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

It's an HP Pavilion ze4200. The HP website said it can take up to 1024 MBs of PC2100 RAM (two 512 MB modules).
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice. One of the girls here has a laptop like that, and it seemed to work nice.

Pretty much any kind of memory that you find in a computer store will work for you. Just look for the speed (PC2100 - or 266Mhz), and make sure that it's less than 512MB of RAM each.

Since the weekend is coming up, you might want to hold out till you can get the OfficeMax, Compusa, Best Buy or Circuit City ads. If you don't like paying alot, then getting rebates, you might want to check out newegg.com and see what they've got for you.

Oh yeah, the memory is also known as SoDIMMS. Msg me if you've got any more questions.

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Thanks a bunch. [Smile]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Wow!

In all the laptops I've ever owned, the memory came on specifically designed cards that fit a limited size/shape space in the computer.

Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know it was so difficult for PC laptops... whenever I need a stick of RAM for anything, I go to http://www.dealram.com and pick one. There are usually dozens of companies to choose from. I never, even when I worked for them, recommended paying extra for Apple's RAM.
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
This bad boy is Crucial's part for that notebook, as per their memory configurator. It's a pretty good deal at that price, and Crucial is well respected. Just about all my memory is from those guys.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate finding Mac memory! It's the only time where asking someone the color of their system is applicable to my job. [Smile]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.mactracker.ca/ :-)
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.