FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Inaccuracies in The Da Vinci Code (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Inaccuracies in The Da Vinci Code
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC-fan, I do not believe you are actually LDS.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also remember that celibacy was unusual in ancient Judaism.
"Unusual" is not nearly strong enough.

kat, I'm glad you and pooka have stated your doubts -- I didn't feel comfortable making that comment.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Masons and the LDS church claim to have gotten their ceremonies from the same source. Why is this surprising? Also the Greek Orthodox Baptism, the Muslim Masjid, Catholic Ordination, and the Ancient Egyptian embalming have similarities. At least in my observation.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I stand by my opinion.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

OSC fan, we don't believe in prophetic infallibity. That is, prophets are free to give their opinions without it all be considered "doctrine."

Many people have guessed that you are Lalo. Would you be willing to affirm that you are not?

Edit: I will go on record as saying that I am not Lalo.

[ March 08, 2004, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow--"It wasn't a secret" and "Freemasons" were used in the same sentence. NOw that is rare.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Ced?

(You know I have to ask.)

pooka
Member # 5003

Joseph Smith was the head of a Masonic Lodge in Nauvoo. I believe this is in the church history textbook, so not even close to a secret.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, going on the defensive. Yep.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read The Da Vinci Code, but I have read a lot of criticism of it. It is a work of fiction, isn't it? Does the author anywhere claim that any of his "conspiracy theories" are in any way factual? If not, I think some of the heat he's taken has been a little out of hand. Now, on the other hand, I have talked (briefly) to some people who have read the book who seem to think that what he's written is entirely factual. Why would they think that?

I doubt I'll ever read the book -- everything I've ever read in this vein after having discovered Umberto Eco has been a total disappointment.

I would like to comment on one point, however...

John L:

quote:
Yeah, there is evidence outside of the gnostic texts, at least in that Mary seemed to be "around" despite the area of real estate that Jesus and the disciples covered over the 3 years.
The "area of real estate" is actually not all that large. Granted, means of transportation were a bit slower, but it really wasn't that much area. One of the things that quite literally shocked me was standing in Jerusalem and being able to see the spot of ancient Bethlehem. I don't think one grasps a clear picture of the area just reading the Gospels, or the whole Bible, or even other historical sources -- at least I didn't.

quote:
Why does she pop up? Why was she mentioned as being there for the Crucifixion? Why did she become a respected member of the early Christian church (very much like a wife of a rabbi... rebbetzin?). In Roman mention of bringing both Marys to see Jesus on the cross, it doesn't mention "wife" specifically, but why bring this woman along with his mother?
This, I think, is a much better point with which to make an argument that she may have been important on a personal or familial level to Jesus. Of course, in my limited reading on the subject of the "historical Jesus," which has consisted mainly of Jesus Seminar Fellows Marcus Borg and John Dominic Crossan, the idea that she was his wife hasn't been taken seriously or just isn't mentioned at all.

Link:

quote:
The fascination with Magdalene has a long and rich history of its own. Diane Apostolos-Cappadona, a cultural historian at Georgetown University, curated an exhibit last year of Magdalene portraits at the American Bible Society in New York. “She’s gone through conflations and misinterpretations and reinterpretations and retrievals,” she says. “I’ve seen her represented in every medium of art through every Christian period—as the witness to the Resurrection, the seductive temptress, the haggard desert mother signifying penitence, the beautiful woman reborn signifying new life.” But for most people, the image that sticks is the rehabilitated prostitute. Scholars blame Pope Gregory the Great for her bad rep; in A.D. 591, he gave a sermon in which he apparently combined several Biblical women into one, including Magdalene and an unnamed sinner who anoints Jesus’ feet. Although the Vatican officially overruled Gregory in 1969, the image stuck until quite recently. “It became a snowball that grew and grew until her name in legend and art history evoked the whore,” says Jane Schaberg, professor of religious studies at the University of Detroit Mercy and author of “The Resurrection of Mary Magdalene.”

Part of the problem may stem from what scholars have called “the muddle of the Marys.” There are a lot of women named Mary in the New Testament, and it’s not always clear which is which.

But some scholars also think mary Magdalene was defamed because she was a threat to male control of the church. As the “Apostle to the Apostles”—the first to encounter the risen Christ and to take the news to Peter and the other male Apostles—she was clearly more than just an ordinary follower. In several Gnostic Gospels—written by Christians whose alternative views of Jesus were eventually suppressed as heresy—Mary Magdalene rivals Peter for the leadership of the early church because of her superior understanding of Jesus’ teaching. The Gospel of Philip, for example, describes her as Jesus’ close companion whom he often “used to kiss.” Karen King of Harvard Divinity School, author of “The Gospel of Mary of Magdala” and a leading authority on women’s roles in the early church, sees her as a target of jealousy because she threatened Peter’s status. By transforming her into a reformed whore, King believes, the church fathers “killed the argument for women’s leadership”—and for recognizing women as fit recipients of divine revelation. King says the transformation also created a powerful symbol of the prostitute as redeemed sinner, the female version of the Prodigal Son. If Jesus could accept her, he could accept anyone.

In “The Da Vinci Code,” Brown suggests that she still had one more hold on Jesus—as his wife. That theory has been circulating for centuries. Some historians think it is possible because Jewish men of that era were almost always married, but many others dismiss that reasoning. Some argue that Jesus wasn’t conventional in any other sense, so why would he feel the need to be married? Others say that relegating her to the role of wife is belittling. “Let’s not continue the relentless denigration of Mary Magdalene by reducing her only importance to a sexual connection with Jesus,” says John Dominic Crossan, professor emeritus of religious studies at DePaul University in Chicago. “She’s not important because she was Mrs. Jesus. That’s like saying Hillary Rodham Clinton is only important because she’s married to Bill Clinton. Both women are important in their own right.”

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Zan, thanks for the info.

Godric, while that except you quoted is all well and good, it ignores what I pointed out about 1) Magdelene (and Mary the mother) being the first Jesus is reported to have visited after the Resurrection, and 2) that Magdelene was regarded by the early Christian Church (before "Roman Catholic" was even an idea, and before Paul took over) as a rabbi's wife, especially regarding the gospel (or "good news") of Christ. There are simply too many cultural pointers to her having been at least enamoured of him, if not actually married.

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC-fan, you seem to be mixing up some Catholic and Protestant theology, and you're vastly over-simplifying the history and the structure of the RC Church.

Added to which, Constantine convened the Council of Nicea because there were many theological arguments raging at the time and he wanted them settled. I'm no fan of Constantinian Christianity, but to say that he unilaterally changed the doctrine or chose the canon is ridiculous.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

I'm with dkw on this one. While Constantine had a great deal of influence, he did not change the doctrine or choose canon. OSC-Fan, you seriously have some mixed-up history here. Can you provide, instead of dropping names, actual excerpts to support your claims? I mean, a simple search of Amazon.com can give me plenty of names of books to drop and claim as my support.
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No, you said that the Gnostic writings were not included in the Bible because “Constantine elected not to include them in it.”

That is where I’m challenging your version of history.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

What she said.
Godric
Member # 4587

John L:

quote:
...1) Magdelene (and Mary the mother) being the first Jesus is reported to have visited after the Resurrection...
From Jesus: A Revolutionary Biography by John Dominic Crossan:

quote:
Here is what John 20:1-2 and 11-18 does with Mary:

quote:
(1) Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and saw that the stonehad been removed from the tomb. So she ran and went to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus loved, and said to them, "They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid him.". . .

(2) But Mary stood weeping outside the tomb. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb; and she saw two angels in white, sitting where the body of Jesus had been lying, one at the head and the other at the feet. They said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping?" She said to them, "They have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid him."

(3)When she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not know that it was Jesus. Jesus said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you looooking for?" Supposing him to be the gardener, she said to him, "Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him and I will take him away." Jesus said to her, "Mary!" She turned and said to him in Hebrew, "Rabbouni!" (which means teacher). Jesus said to her, "Do not hold on to me, because I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and say to them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God." Mary Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, "I have seen the Lord"; and she told them that he had said these things to her.

Mary gets to give the wrong interpretation of the empty tomb three times: to the disciples, to the angels, and finally to Jesus himself. She does not even recognize Jesus when he appears to her, at least until he addresses her. She is told to announce not the resurrection but the ascension. And if you object that at least she gets to see Jesus, read on to see what John 20 has to say about seeing the risen Jesus rather than, like the Beloved Disciple, believing after seeing only an empty tomb and empty grave cloths.
John 20:29 "29: Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed."

I suppose I should note here that although Crossan does not believe in the resurrection while I, of course do, I do think he makes some valid points through his arguments.

quote:
...2) that Magdelene was regarded by the early Christian Church (before "Roman Catholic" was even an idea, and before Paul took over) as a rabbi's wife, especially regarding the gospel (or "good news") of Christ.
I really don't know enough about this specific subject to refute you, but I would like references if you have any. The general impression I get from what I have read is that there are two (probably more if you get technical) trains of thought about how the early church viewed her and neither is "official." Of course, those arguing one side or the other would feel that their side is official, but I'd like to examine all the evidence and make up my own mind.

OSC-fan:

I was going to point out some errors in your statements, but dkw and John have beat me to it. [Razz]

[ March 09, 2004, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Godric ]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No, I don’t agree with all the rest. I’d be hard pressed to find anything you’ve said that I agree with.

Since you’ve admitted that you really don’t care about the distinctions between non-LDS denominations, I’ll just ask you to quit mis-characterizing them as a courtesy to those of us who do care.

katharina
Member # 827

<still firmly does not believe OSC-fan is LDS, just for the record>
katharina
Member # 827

I know what you said. I disagree with the way you're treating dkw, and didn't want her to attach the attitude of not caring or knowing the differences between Protestant denominations to the church instead of to you.
katharina
Member # 827

Off Topic: I wonder if there's any independent corroboration that I am LDS? I mean, that would be a heck of a scam. I can't think of any.

*thinks* Oh, except I shared a hotel room with Olivia and Jenny. Never mind.

dkw
Member # 3264

Not to worry, kat. There are more than enough considerate, articulate, and intelligent LDS on this forum to dispel that possibility.

To your second post – it might be a heck of a scam, but what on earth would be the purpose?

katharina
Member # 827

Hmm... I don't what the purpose of posing to be LDS when you're not would be. "Heck of a scam" is not really complimentary. *wrinkles nose*
Godric
Member # 4587

OSC-fan:

quote:
...and the way I reply to dkw is none of your business, he can take care of himself...
[Eek!]

I think Bob has got some explaining to do...

[Razz]

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
When I've heard the theory that Mary Magdalene was married to Jesus, this scripture from Matthew 19 came to mind.

quote:
3And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, "Is it lawful to divorce one's wife for any cause?" 4He answered, "Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, 'Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh'? 6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate." 7They said to him, "Why then did Moses command one to give a certificate of divorce and to send her away?" 8He said to them, "Because of your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery."[1]
10The disciples said to him, "If such is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry." 11But he said to them, "Not everyone can receive this saying, but only those to whom it is given. 12 For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let the one who is able to receive this receive it."

The way I've always interpreted this was to mean that being able to maintain celibacy is a gift from God. Not all men/women are given this gift, so they should marry to keep their sexual needs in the bounds of marriage.

My thought was that if any man was given this gift, Jesus himself was. How could he completely devote himself to God if he also needed to devote himself to a wife and possibly family?

dkw, how do you interpret that passage?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Godric - [ROFL]
Which would bring us full circle.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

[Big Grin]

Zgator, I see two possible interpretations of verse 11 – one that “this teaching” refers to the disciples protest that “it is better not to marry,” the other that it refers to Jesus’ earlier statment that to re-marry after a divorce is to commit adultery. The first would imply that celibacy is better, but as few can follow it marriage was permitted; the second would imply that celibacy after a divorce is better, but because few can accept it re-marriage was permitted.

An interesting note from a Jewish scholar – just to create a little cross thread confusion – Phillip Sigal, in The Halakah of Jesus points to this passage as Jesus issuing a ruling against polygamy. If a man is not free to marry another woman because he is already bound to his first wife, then that must mean God permits him only one wife. According to Sigal this is the first example of a rabbinic teacher explicitly ruling out polygamy.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] Kristine and Kathryn

[Hail] katharina [Wink] [Razz]

[ March 09, 2004, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*preens* Why thank you!

Oh. You probably mean Kathryn.

[ March 09, 2004, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*hoisted by my own petard*

AJ
(now is wondering if petard is correct)

It is, it is!
http://phrases.shu.ac.uk/meanings/183500.html

[ March 09, 2004, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Thanks Dana. I hadn't considered the second interpretation before.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well crud! I missed it all.

OSC-fan........ -1

That is the stupidest thing I've ever seen on the Internet, so I'm lowering your score.

[ March 09, 2004, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Dana, are you sure you want to be involved with a man who is so obviously deranged?
dkw
Member # 3264

Well, when I go back and re-read this thread, it looks like I’m talking to myself too, so I guess we’re well matched.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, apparently I missed all the fun in this thread. Shucks.

Anyway, someone had named me as a good source of gripes about the DaVinci Code, but unfortunately none of my gripes have to do with historical innacuracies. I hated it for the author's obvious ignorance of art history. It would surprise me if he had read any of the leading art historical research on these topics and, most importantly, "symbology" is a totally made up field.

I never finished the book, though I did get probably halfway through it, and this was more because of its cheap faux-thriller writing style and laughable plot than anything else.

[ March 09, 2004, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not talking to myself. I'm talking to my invisible antagonist!

He's with me always.

Tormenting me... [Mad]

Slowly!

[Wall Bash]

(and am I a lucky guy or what? dkw is my favorite person in the whole world!) [Kiss]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Annie is the (wo)MAN
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
*hysterical*
Pooka, you are Hobbes in disguise !
AHHHH !!!
*runs like mad*
[Big Grin]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I killed that thread.
I was just jooooking !
Someone ?
[Angst]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes in disguise?!? Oooh! where? [Razz]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently picked up 2 books by Bart D. Ehrman both about the early Church. They might be of interest to those particularly interested in some of the topics being discussed here. The one I'm currently reading, "Lost Scriptures: Books That Did Not Make it into the New Testament", is a compilation of the nonCanonical gospels.

There's very little extra to it other than the books themselves. At the beginning of each chapter he tells a little bit of historical information about it.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

Sarah, can you e-mail me the titles with the authors? They would come in handy for something I'm currently working on.
pooka
Member # 5003

Anna, that is very, very disturbing. [Razz]

[Smile]

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm what is your email? It's not in your profile.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyway, someone had named me as a good source of gripes about the DaVinci Code

Hey, that's me.

Although I'm not Hobbes in disguise, I do have lots of fur between my ears. [Monkeys]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

Whoops! It's john AT grenme.com [Smile]
Godric
Member # 4587

I just ran across this article:

quote:
OVER THE PAST FEW MONTHS, I've written a bit on Dan Brown's blockbuster that completely reconceptualizes the origins of Christianity in the context of a turgid not-very-suspenseful novel. I wrote a snide review of it back in June; a more detailed FAQ on the book's historical howlers this fall, both published in Our Sunday Visitor; and I ranted about it some on my own website.

And so, I get letters. They bear no stickers, because they come via e-mail, but they are indeed the equivalent of the single-spaced, double-sided prayer for my soul. To wit:

quote:
Secrets and lies will all come into the light one day. Which side will you be on? Your review of The Da Vinci Code tells me you are on the WRONG side. The Dark Side, as it may be called.

As a women, you should know better in your heart. It's clear someone has poisoned, and controlled your thoughts in this matter. Enough is enough, so think for yourself. OPEN your mind now, while you still can.

. . .

And this one, which I award the prize for Absolutely Most Frightening Letter of 2003:

quote:
I recently read your review of The Da Vinci Code and I am writing to inform you that I wholeheartedly disagree with your views. Mr. Brown has done a tremendous amount of research into the earliest history of the Christian church, most of which is easily accessible and is considered fact, by both Christians and non-Christians alike. I am a middle school teacher at a Catholic school, teaching the Old Testament to children between 11 and 12 years of age.
The Way, the Truth, the Life, whatever.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.