FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Angel cancelled!

Author Topic: Angel cancelled!
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Those bastards!

link

Joss Whedon's Reaction:

quote:
Some of you may have heard the hilarious news. I thought this would be a good time to weigh in. to answer some obvious questions: No, we had no idea this was coming. Yes, we will finish out the season. No, I don't think the WB is doing the right thing. Yes, I'm grateful they did it early enough for my people to find other jobs.

Yes, my heart is breaking.

When Buffy ended, I was tapped out and ready to send it off. When Firefly got the axe, I went into a state of denial so huge it may very well cause a movie. But Angel... we really were starting to feel like we were on top, hitting our stride -- and then we strode right into the Pit of Snakes 'n' Lava. I'm so into these characters, these actors, the situations we're building... you wanna know how I feel? Watch the first act of "The Body."

As far as TV movies or whatever, I'm not thinking that far ahead. I actually hope my actors and writers are all too busy. We always planned this season finale to be a great capper to the season and the show in general. (And a great platform for a new season, of course.) We'll proceed ahead as planned.

I've never made mainstream TV very well. I like surprises, and TV isn't about surprises, unless the surprise is who gets voted off of something. I've been lucky to sneak this strange, strange show over the airwaves for as long as I have. I don't FEEL lucky, but I understand that I am.

Thanks all for your support, your community, and your perfectly sane devotion. It's meant a lot. I regret nothing (except the string of grisley murders in the 80's -- what was THAT all about?) Remember the words of the poet:

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the road less traveled by and they CANCELLED MY FRIKKIN' SHOW. I totally shoulda took the road that had all those people on it. Damn."

See you soon.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Angel's still on the air? I thought it was cancelled for that meat eating competition.

Or was that Buffy?

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, damn!

Damn! Damn! Damn!

It was getting really good with Joss paying more attention to it this year.

Damn!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I'm looking further, and it seems as though this happened two weeks ago...

...why didn't I hear about this? Have you all been keeping me in the dark? I depend on hatrack to keep me informed about things like this.

[Grumble]

Or, then again, maybe you did, and I just missed the thread.. [Frown]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

I know!

It was Meat Farmers Video Journal.

Wasn't it?

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
Well this explaines the fact that there wasn't a new next week Wendsday. POOPIE. I say strike pettion something it was really getring good with Fred all super being like.

[ March 05, 2004, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: The Wiggin ]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. And UPN declined to pick it up, because it's too expensive.
Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
At least one person already mentioned this as a casual remark, assuming that people already knew.

This same person took responsibility for the cancellation, saying that is the fate for just about every show they like and watch. (Wonder if we could take up a collection and pay them not to watch TV shows we all like?)

Just a clarification, though. Angel isn't cancelled right away. It's not being renewed. We'll still have a full season. According to the website (too lazy to go look it up right now), the episodes resume in April.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to a petition for a sixth season of angel.

I thought almost everyone knew about this...

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Okay. I blame you, MEC, for my not knowing... [No No]

But thanks for the petition link!

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't watch Angel because I have bad WB reception. So I envy those of you who even get to see it at all.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

I envy those of you who get reception at all.

I should be watchin Saturday Morning Cartoons now... [Grumble]

MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
FlyingCow: I am ashamed of my failure as a fellow hatracker, I will now commit seppuku by swollowing a frisbee.

Bad reception people: I have satalite and thus have 5 different wb channels. So if there ever is bad reception during angel, I can watch it a couple hours later when it has cleared up. I highly recommend it if you can afford it.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, all the people who eat at my lunch table are Buffy freaks. I knew about this forever ago. Sorry guys...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew it too.
WB sucks. They canceled Tarzan, whcih I loved and replaced it with the horrible Surreal life and most of their shows with very few acceptions are beastly!
But Grounded for Life is good.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Well, on the bright side, I won't have to tape it anymore while I watch West Wing...

...maybe Angel would have gotten better ratings in a less competitive time slot? Just maybe? Ah well. I signed the petition. Not like *that's* gonna make a lick of difference... the WB isn't known for it's ability to find or keep quality programming.

sndrake
Member # 4941

Well, there's another bright spot, too. I don't have to tape Kingdom Hospital, the new series created by Stephen King.

I don't think anyone has posted here about the show. Diane and I watched the first half in the bedroom while we taped Angel and then watched the second half in the living room.

I can't say the show has grabbed me. I like a little more sense of plot than I got with the pilot. But I'll hang in for at least until Angel resumes on April 14.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh please. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
We can all take comfort in the fact that Charisma Carpenter will undoubtedly find other work in which she wears tight, low cut, or otherwise revealing clothes. And really, folks, when it's all said and done, that's what really matters.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Here, here!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daedalus
Member # 1698

- posted      Profile for Daedalus   Email Daedalus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to ask. Why? From what few episodes I saw of Buffy and Angel, the characters were cliche, stiffly acted, and worked their way through inane plots involving demons and unfunny jokes. I could never get into the show, no matter how many of my friends obsessed over it -- and now I see Dagonee and FlyingCow and their ilk mourning the loss of Angel?

Why oh why oh why, lest I lose my faith in your good taste?

Posts: 641 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
There are other good dramas out there, but I really love Angel . I liked Buffy the Vampire Slayer more, but I was warming up to Angel just when I found out it was being cancelled.

I dunno, I just liked it.

Why do I like artichokes? Not everybody likes artichokes. But I do. [Dont Know] It's just one of those things, I guess.

Buffy and Angel (I'm not italicizing anything anymore, code is a PITA) were interesting mostly because of (what is known as) the Buffyverse. The world they operate(d) in is slightly askew from ours. It was interesting. I also liked the writing (so sue me, but it did win awards, including a Hugo, if I'm not mistaken). Plus...well, I like to look at Spike and Wesley. Okay, and Angel a little bit, too.

I'm sad that it's being cancelled, but I'm not heartbroken. I'm optimistic that Joss Whedon is not done with the Buffyverse. He's a creative person with a relatively young career, surely I will like some other project of his (even though I wasn't too interested in Firefly, I have to admit).

Fans have gotten shows back on the air before (I believe Gilmore Girls was saved from cancellation?). It's not outside the realm of possibility. I'm not sending any money out for billboard advertisements, though. Heh.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
Why oh why oh why, lest I lose my faith in your good taste?
I think you're looking at this in the wrong way. The onus is on you to figure out why you shouldn't lose faith in yourself and your taste. [Big Grin]

(Guess what TV shows I watch? I'm used to it, though. I was watching Star Trek on its original run when it was cancelled. Old hand at disappointment.)

(Edited to pay brief tribute to the cool post number which coincides with my birthday - my DOB was also in a year that was a multiple of 11)

[ March 22, 2004, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

It's the show's self consciousness, Daedalus. It made no bones about being "high art" - instead offering a parody of the genre, and often, poking fun at itself.

As far as fantasy and science fiction shows, the pickings have been unbearably slim. Smallville? Enterprise? And those are the frontrunners. Angel had snappy dialogue, good special effects and a willingness to take chances.

I'm imagining you didn't see the episode where Spike went to "hell" - which was one of the better episodes of anything I've seen in a while. Creepy when it needed to be, light when it wanted to be, but quality overall with a terrific performance turned in by James Marsters.

Really, the draw of the show for me is the same as the draw for the Simpsons. It's not Shakespeare, but it's not trying to be. It's a comedy that understands what it is, what its place is, and how to have fun with itself and its genre.

How many other attempts at making vampires funny have worked? Vampire in Brooklyn? Dracula: Dead and Loving It? Blackula? Ick.

Frankly, it's one of the few shows I'll watch on television anymore - next to West Wing, Tru Calling (sometimes), Joan of Arcadia (sometimes), and the myriad cop/lawyer/crime shows (when I happen to catch them).

Cancelling Angel, to me, is the networks giving up on nonconformist plots and style entirely - going instead for formula series and kitschy crap (like Birds of Prey or Jake 2.0)

I dunno, Daed. Maybe you saw a few bad episodes (there are a few, especially earlier in each series)... or maybe it's just not your genre. But it seems the studio execs share your opinion, and not ours, or the large fan following's.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.