FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Carbs.... what are they good for... absolutely NOTHING (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Carbs.... what are they good for... absolutely NOTHING
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always maintained that there were two weight loss plans that worked miracles -

Working on a roofing crew 8 hours a day

and

breastfeeding on demand.

[Big Grin]

[ March 07, 2004, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On the issue itself: the Atkins diet is not overboard, it DOES allow for the necessary carb requirements, it simply cuts out net carbs from refined sugars and processed white flours, etc. Whole wheat carbs and the like are all allowed.
That may be true, but there are portions of the diet that disallow all carbs. And since when do people follow directions correctly, anyway? Eh?

Anywho, here's my obligatory condemnation of the Atkins diet... It might work for some people, but it made me violently ill, and I don't want to repeat that ever again. My digestion and metabolism slowed, and I was groggy and miserable most of the time. So.... yeah.. Atkins no worky for me.

It might work for other people, but I'm ashamed that I tried it without it having been researched a little bit more...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Turning soil would do it, too. Chopping wood. Painting. Raking. But we hire out or use a mechanical device whenever possible. We use roto tillers, chainsaws, student painters, and self mulching mowers.
It is so much more fun to get outside. We rely on SO much being done for us. No wonder our nation is overweight.
Exercise has become such an expensive thing. Why? Why do I go to Curves(400 bucks a year, about) instead of out for a walk or a ski, where I wouldn't have to pay a dime?
For that matter, why do I have to pay for some diet program, when all I really need to do is eat less? It's whacky. I am such a sucker.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, you need to stop trying to make this personal. If you think that people a couple thousand years ago (let alone today) have the same digestive systems, you are ignoring science and logic. If you "learned" that carbs weren't eaten in hefty portions by healthy peoples throughout history, you learned wrong (and someone lied to you). If you cannot back up your claims when modern biology and anthropology contradicts what you claim, your bitching about a degree means jack and squat to the effectiveness of your claims. In other words, you could have a PhD, but if you can't back up what you say with scientific fact, you're selling snake oil.

quote:
On the issue itself: the Atkins diet is not overboard, it DOES allow for the necessary carb requirements, it simply cuts out net carbs from refined sugars and processed white flours, etc. Whole wheat carbs and the like are all allowed.
Only in small amounts, not the daily recommended. Daily recommended as far as the American Health Association, and (not-so) coincidentally, Atkins has made public claims the AMA are out to get him.

Listen, you have done zero to back up your claims, and yet you're more worried about turning this into a personal issue with me than into a debate about the actual topic. If you're "bored" of this, then that's a good thing. Maybe we can get back to the actual topic.

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Turning soil would do it, too.
No joke, that's what I did today. We're digging up and turning the soil in my flowerbeds, getting them ready for spring planting. My kids worked with me until they got tired, which took them all of about 20 minutes. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I would try the Atkins diet, but the whole thing screams "not for teenagers" to me. I don't know if that's true or not, but I'm not going to chance it.

I've always been of the opinion that the best diet would be a well-rounded vegetarian one. At least, vegetarians seem to be the ones that keep the wait lost. From what I've seen, low-carbers lose weight quickly, but it almost always comes back. Of course, I don't have the will power for something like that.

I think the only form of diet I could do is: Eat what you want 'til you're satisfied, and exercise as much as possible. I know, it's just so frequin' original, ain't it?

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well rounded is more important for a vegetarian diet than for one that includes meat. There are lots of nutrients you get from meat that is difficult to get on a vegetarian diet. You don't need a lot of meat, just a little, and you don't even need to eat meat every day.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
. . . breastfeeding on demand.

Sadly, this never worked as a weight loss plan for me. I got SO hungry when I was nursing an infant! It's like the previous nine months of NO appetite (even when my stomach was growling, I had zero interest in food when I was pregnant) had to be made up for in the first 3-6 months of breastfeeding. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Having been on many diets during the majority of my grown-ip life, I have concluded the following two things:

Nothing I do will have a long lasting effect unless I make lifestyle changes. Therefore: sure, I can cut out all carbs, or all fats, or only drink my meals, etc, but the weight will not stay off unless I am willing to keep on doing whatever I'm doing.

I MUST incorporate exercise into my life. When I lived in Switzerland, I lost tons of weight, simply because I walked miles and miles each day. I gained it all back when I moved back to the US and stopped walking.

Therefore- I am a proponent of programs (if structure is what you need) such as Weight Watchers or Ediets. These programs teach you healthy eating habits (which I really didn't know about) and encourage gradual, slow weight loss that occurs with lifestyle changes.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

That's horrible, rivka!

Did you at least get to enjoy the benefits of more rest than bottlefeeding moms?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, there were DEFINITE benefits to breastfeeding! [Smile] There's the feeding-baby-in-middle-of-night-without-having-to-wake-up-enough-to-heat-a-bottle to the you're-hungry-NOW?-ok-let's-just-find-a-good-spot ease. And the amazing '3-o'clock in the morning and no one's awake in the world but me and this beautiful angel' experiences. [Smile] Oh, and I don't know about anyone else, but I could feel the prolactin hit my bloodstream! Heady stuff!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko:

quote:
That may be true, but there are portions of the diet that disallow all carbs.
If you were on a diet that disallowed all carbs then you weren't doing Atkins.

Even on the harshest phase of Atkins you're allowed 20 grams of net carbs a day. This means several cups of salad and a cup or so of veges. And you're only supposed to be on that phase for a short period of time after which you introduce fruits, nuts and higher-carb veges.

Everybody I know that's had trouble doing Atkins or had bad side-effects haven't followed it properly, either by being too lazy to count carbs or not getting enough water or greens, or by continuing to drink alcohol, coffee or aspartme-laden diet drinks.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not going to take sides, but I do want to relate my personal experience.

I've been on Atkins for about a month. While I'm not sure yet that it is "working" or that it is the "diet" for me, I can not deny that I feel better. I sleep better. My energy level is up to the point that I'm actually willing to exercise. And most importantly, I'm significantly less moody.

Atkins isn't something that I see myself doing for years. I can't live without chocolate for that long [Smile] . For now, it's doing more good than harm, and if nothing else, maybe it's the kick in the pants I needed to revamp my eating habits.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Troubs, there are actually people who can handle an Atkins level of dieting with low carbs and be fine. There's no doubt about that. The thing is, this kind of diet is something one should totally consult their physician over, and make the committment to follow their intake very closely. In essence, it involves an attitude change. There's really nothing that Atkins introduced that wasn't known before, he just turned it into a "lifestyle." The thing is, it's a dangerous lifestyle, because if you slip up, you mess with your body's chemistry in quick and noticable ways. It's usually not something that can't work itself out over time (none of the cases I've heard of have been), but when there are other, longer-lived, more gradual and tested methods, why take the chance? And the major thing is that people need to get more active, because dieting isn't going to cut it.
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
The Facts, by suntranafs.

1. I no es mui intelijente perhaps but I know what I see with my own 2 eye: on ketosis, yoh fat disapear, it no take genius figure that out. whether you lose muscle as well is another issue. According to my reccolection, On regular atkins, you lose fat too. but slower and therefore probably healthier.
2. My Dad, a little while after going on atkins diet fairly heavy and ketosis a bit, had a pentuple heart bypass. In my perception, it no take ver big brain figure this one out neither. One word: coe-less-turl.
3. My Dad is not stupid
4. while nearly everything we generally eat that is high in fat is high in cholesterol, there are many things high in protein and low in carbs that aren't.
5. It take pretty big brain figure this one out, indeed science once believed the opposite, time body takes to digest fat>protein>complex carbs>>sugar. Now as has been pointed out, fat is highest in calorie/gram, so is very efficient for primitives; extremely valuable, longlasting high energy. but primitives starved a lot, and fat is all too often accompanied by bad shsnick. sugar tastes good also. perhaps because it was also extremely important to primitives; it will disimenate energy into system faster than anything else. Unfortunately, this also means its gone in about 30 minutes, and so its only efficient if you're about to do something strenuous. I'm under the impression that straight sugar does not have much bad connected to it, so theoretically, if you were working way the **ll harder than you should be, large doses of sugar every 1/2 hour( or perhaps less) might be the best thing for you, since sugar will not make you fuller and fuller, but get digested quickly. I'm less certain of the exact statistics, but the same should be true of a diet of pure carbs to a lesser degree; that is, if you were working extremely hard and very near the conceivably healthy limit, then you'd be fine only taking large doses of carbohydrates with extreme regularity about every two hours, except I don't know of any pure carbs that contain the amino acids neccessary for health. On the flip side, a diet of straight protein, which generally takes about, (what?) 12 hours(?) to mainly digest, can only be maintaned by somebody who (A) is not doing anything much (B)has a HUGE stomach or (C)has a freak high metabolism and is still not doing too much serious work.
6. some exercise is very good for you

The Obvious Conclusions I Draw, by suntranafs

1. Stupid people should not attempt atkins diet.
2. Probably no one should attempt Ketosis
3. Smart people attempting atkins diet should realize they need to use their brains, eat a maximum amount of low cholesterol foods and ALSO a minimum amount of high cholesterol foods.
4. Atkins is a "lazy man's" diet because you don't neccessarily have to exercise to lose weight
5. For an ideal weight loss diet I would hold that you should eat a small amount of fat, a large amount of protein, a small amount of complex carbs and flat zero of any kind of simple ones including fructose or lactose, and excersize hard, drinking large quantities of water to flush your system.
6. For an speedy fat gain program I'd say huge quantities of sugar(3000cal/day), large quantities of complex carbs(1500cal/day and medium quantities of fat(no more than1500-2000cal/day in fat) and zero protein.
7. If you want to die of a heart attack after claiming to be on the atkins diet and still be quite fat, do a bacon, sausage, and fried grease method of Ketosis and then drink a couple cans of coke for a reward.

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

*Sighs dreamily remembering*

Ahhh - prolactin. The wonder drug indeed!

vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh... the mammaries...

[Wink]

-Beren

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

*Hands Beren a plate of asparagus and a chocolate chip cookie.*
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
A diet based on depriving yourself of a huge group of foods is never going to be a successful diet. Sure, you might see some great results in the short term, but it's unrealistic to think you can go the rest of your life without bread, cookies, pasta, and pizza. [Smile] Show me someone who's lost 20 pounds on Atkins, and I'll show you someone who's going to gain 30 back when they realize they just can't do it anymore.

It's not the fault of the participants, it's just an unrealistic program. It makes a heck of a lot more sense to continue eating all the foods that you love, but in healthy moderation.

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.