FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tipping somebody other than a waiter . . . (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tipping somebody other than a waiter . . .
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

So I asked my friends who own a restaurant and some of the wait staff what they thought.
The owner hates tipping. It makes him feel that people think he doesn't a)pay his staff enough and b)that they wont do do their jobs properly if they aren't bribed too. Only American tourists tip. The staff were a) insulted that anyone would think they needed extra to do their jobs properly and b)didn't think it was fair to all the behind the scenes workers.
Someone mentiones the price of things going up if tipping isn't there...I've never been to the US so I'm only going by hearsay but most people I know think your restaurant meals are more expensive regardless and THEN they are expected to tip! But tipping is becoming more accepted in the cities... which is interesting... the locals apparently avoid those restaurants coz the wait-staff are too in your face chasing tips.

Dreamwalker: I think I am going to move to Europe.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Just anectdotal: A friend of ours has a policy that at the beginning of a meal the waiter starts out with a %15 tip. The amount then goes up or down depending on the service. After a meal at one restaurant, he claimed, "This waiter owes ME a tip!"
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The pizza guy almost always gets at least 3 dollars for delivering here. I want him to like me.
Here here! I think it's a really good idea to (at least) never annoy someone who has time alone with your food. In private. No witnesses. [Angst]

So if anyone has ever had a bad time with a snotty waiter and told them off before they've gone to get the order - just remember who gets to laugh last. [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dreamwalker
Member # 4189

- posted      Profile for Dreamwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
beverly honey, I want to go to Europe too. [Wave] but it's long weary, way from here.

[ March 08, 2004, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Dreamwalker ]

Posts: 141 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
If you tip the people at Cold Stone Creamery, they sing.

I actually never tip them, I hate it when food servers sing. They look embarassed and I feel embarassed and the whole thing is really unpleasant.

Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.