FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » fake or foto?

Author Topic: fake or foto?
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.alias.com/eng/etc/fakeorfoto/quiz.html
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, I got seven out of ten.

Trust your initial instincts. These guys aren't any better than you think they are.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I got 8/10. I messed up on the Chess and the pile of nails.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I also got seven out of ten.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
6 our of 10

I got the nails and hammer picture wrong.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
7 out of 10. But they all looked real to me. I just flipped a mental coin.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Nine out of ten!
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
8 of 10. I switched the two nails pictures.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
8/10, I got the golf ball and the glasses of water pictures wrong.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
8 of 10 for me.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 7 out of 10, but I didn't check to see which ones. I figure it's a crap shoot, except I thought the nose and lips were anatomically weird.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo-hoo. Ten out of ten. [Smile]

But I kind of expected that, since I'm the guy in the audience of any movie who, when a CGI effect shows up, groans loudly and says something like, "Ooo! Look at the pretty mipmaps!"

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
8/10

I marked the glasses and the second picture of the nails as real.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the joke that they were all CGI? Oh, half were real. Well now I'm really impressed that I got more than half right.

So Tom, do you go to Pixar movies? Is it okay if you know it's supposed to be CGI?

[ March 09, 2004, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
7 of 10, didn't check which ones I got wrong. Pretty sure I said the lips and nose were real.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 100% on the regular test, and another 100% on the bonus test at the end.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
8 out of 10. I got the golf ball in the grass and the pile of nails ones wrong.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
9 of 10!

Wooohooo!

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Is it okay if you know it's supposed to be CGI?"

Yep. [Smile] I don't mind unreality if it's INTENTIONAL unreality; it's when an effect struggles to look realistic but fails that I notice and care.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
6/10 but I've always sucked at this sort of thing.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Six out of ten as well....

I almost just marked them ALL cgi just to see how I would score, but decided against it.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
They say,"pretty good" but have you noticed that 6 is the lowes, anyone has admitted to having? I think they are just flattering us.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 8/10. I was wrong on the glass of wine and the pile of nails.
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
So you were a big fan of the Hulk movie that came out recently then, Tom? [Smile]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 8/10 on my first try, I got 3/4 for the bonus.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's just easy; it is possible to fail. My second try I got 0/10 (first was 7/10)

But it's not even critical when I failed completed.

quote:
The CG artists really did a good job!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
i failed...2/10...those CG guys are good.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
8/10 on first round, 3/4 on bonus. Though I'm confused on the bonus, because I was sure I had marked the pictures correctly. [Confused]

I've spent some time in amature CGI circles, so I knew what to look for on the fakes.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 9/10.

Would you mind enlightening us as to what you look for, xnera?

Here is what tipped me off for each:

The grass - the uniformity of color, but it was mostly the water droplets...too silvery, not really clear or cristalline like they should be

The silverware - The angle of the spoon isn't right compared to the fork...it looks like the table is straight under the fork, but at a 3-7 degree incline under the spoon. Also, the reflections were a big give-away.

The glasses - I don't think you can acheive those perfect lighting effects in real life, especially the totally black background. The only way I could see a possibility is a black room with a blue spotlight, but then there would be no white vertical band on the glasses.

The face - Faces are usually the hardest to digitall create. This one simply doesn't look real. The best face I have ever seen is here.

The nails - all uniform, no nicks or scratches, and the weird starburst on the tops of the nails.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest tipoff is too much glare/gloss on the surface of an item. CGI'd items tend to look too shiny compared to their real-life counterparts. This was the tipoff on the spoon/fork, and on the pills in the bonus round.

Next I look at the texture. Does the texture look real? On these samples, the texture of the face is way too smooth. Plus I thought the line between the foreground and background looked a bit odd. And as already noted, the water droplets on the grass doesn't look right. Actually, my original time through I didn't look at the big images for any, and I had guessed correctly on the grass due to its color.

Is there a natural variation in the objects? On the chairs in the bonus round, I noticed the scratches/dust on the one in the lower-right corner, and decided it had to be real. Compare that to the grass, which really doesn't have much variation. You'd expect that some blades would be broken, or a slightly different green, or have some holes in them.

Do the pieces fit together correctly? I was bothered by the liquid in the shot glass in the bonus round. It simply didn't look right near the top of the glass. I was nearly fooled by the dice, because to me some of the pips looked like stickers (you can definitely see how one of the pips is *above* the surface, rather than on it)rather than paint. I finally decided that it could be a layer of paint, so I checked it as real.

Usually, though, it's the shinyness that gives it away.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Nine out of Ten!

I screwed up (yuk yuk) on the "Field of nails."

And Tom, I'm the guy whose wife and kids are saying, "for the hundredth time, Steve, will you just shut up and let us watch the movie!"

Although I think I've brought the kids over to the dark side with me.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! Nine out of ten answers were correct

I'm always looking at the lighting. Anything that has a slightly different lighting angle than anything else mixed with how I know we can't do radiosity without a HUGE hit and lots of time consumption. Couple that with settled dust, and serveral other real hard things to do and you can almost always tell, I missed the glasses, *I didn't look to closely at that one either.*

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.