FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Top 5 (non-Bible) most influential books of all time (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Top 5 (non-Bible) most influential books of all time
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Origin of species anti religious...?

Ok, my top five, ruling out books that are foundations for religion.

1) Communist Manifesto
2) Wealth of Nations
3) Iliad and Odyessey (homer didn't read anything... these are probably the first stories written in greek, plus, he was blind), and Aeneid.
4) Collected works of Aristotle (I'd say plato, but the church decided that Aristotle was correct, and used him as a bludgeon for 1500 years).
5) Descartes Meditations (created modern philosophy).

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Aristotle much, much better than Plato. I read Plato, and my mind says "Baloney. Prove it." I read Aristotle, and my mind says, "That is both reasonable and verifiable. <Save>."
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Descartes suggestion. As technology advances, we will find new and different ways to define "reality" (e.g. Matrix, Snow Crash). Descartes theories regarding rationality, reality, and sensory perception can come in pretty handy in those type of discussions. [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Descartes is fun to read because it's so raw. Flashes of brilliance while puttering around with ideas.
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Top 5 for humanity in general, excluding religious texts:

1. The Communist Manifesto-sparked a revolution
2. Uncle Tom's Cabin- same reason
3. the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn-many long winded and diverse reasons, which I'll refrain from sharing out of courtesy
4. Shakespeare's works- some more than others, but he undeniabley influences billions.
5. Harry Potter- shares many reasons with Huck Finn. Is new, so it's a gamble if it will stay big time but if it does it's up here.

My own personal top 5

1. Lord of the Rings- do I need to give a reason? I think everyone on this forum already knows.
2. The Ender series- see above
3. The Eden Express by Mark Vonnegut- the best book I ever read about going insane, and that includes Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
4. Slaughterhouse-5, or The Children's Crusade by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.- When I die, I want my gravestone to say "so it goes".
5. The Hitchhiker Trilogy by Douglas Adams- The world is crazy and these five books prove it in print.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
Top influences on me (fiction):
1. Cry the Beloved Country - Possibly the best book I have ever read.
2. Speaker for the Dead – Also possibly the best book I have ever read. It should really be #1A
3. The Grapes of Wrath – In my opinion the best American novel.
4. To Kill a Mockingbird – Any book that can make the name Atticus a household word has got to be great.
5. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe – The only book that ever made me cry.

Also, a book that has had great influence on humanity, at least in the western world is Jean Piaget’s "Origins of intelligence in the child".
Piaget redefined the educational process and virtually created developemental psychology.

Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree with Piaget.
I also think Benjamin Spock rocked the parenting world.

As for personal influences, Mister Rogers' graduation speech in (2001?) blew me away.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
My own Top 5:

1. Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
2. Tunnel In the Sky by Robert A. Heinlein
3. The Legacy of Heorot by Niven, Pournelle and Barnes
4. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein
5. The Collected Short Stories of Mark Twain

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
The Old Man and the Sea by Hemmingway.

With the number of writers on this forum, how can it have taken us til page 2 to mention Hemmingway? He changed the way writers look at the language they use to tell the story.

And Wussy Actor, I second the nomination for Cry, the Beloved Country. Though it's the only time I've seen a movie I liked better than the book. James Earl Jones is one of the greats.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What are your nominations for the top-5 most influential books of all time? Any language, any time, any people.

katherina, will you be taking the nominations and turning them into a series of polls on sakeriver or GreNME?

That would be pretty cool.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Something Under The Bed Is Drooling, by Bill Watterson.

It changed my world.

This contest is over, give Taal the award.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I just occurred to me that the novel that set modern literature free has yet to be mentioned.

It's not my favorite, but we are talking about influence here.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1984 (Revolutionized writing in that very few books before then had a message, or allowed the hero to fail)

Surely ye jest?

The critical theorists in the audience will probably hate me, but I don't think fiction like the Odyssey has as much effect on humanity as this thread would predict. At least, not until the rise of critical theory [Smile] There used to be a top 5 of my own below this paragraph, but it now reads:

"mu"

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
richard,

not one for polls, I take it?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.