FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer Help!

Author Topic: Computer Help!
Alyosha
Member # 6187

- posted      Profile for Alyosha   Email Alyosha         Edit/Delete Post 
Help!
Everytime I try to open word this message comes up:

quote:
Winword has caused an error in
WINWORD.EXE.
Winword will now close.

If you continue to experience problems,
try restarting your computer.

[Confused]

I've restarted the computer many times but it doesn't help. I've also looked for some advice online but its always either to vague or doesn't work. My computer troubleshooting skills are about zilch so I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this or had it happen to them before? [Frown]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried re-installing word?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alyosha
Member # 6187

Thanks for your advice Porteiro [Smile]
Not yet, but I was hoping that there was some other way of fixing it. Would reinstalling word in anyway affect the things already saved under word on the computer? As I said, my troubleshooting skills are about zilch so...

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
No reinstalling word will not change any .doc files you have saved unless your for whatever reason have saved them in the same place word is installed. (Okay so even then it might not, but you shouldn't save them there anyway)

Office Xp has a repair option when you run the installer, I know i've done that couple times when things stop working correctly. Of course you might not have Xp so. If you reinstall, make sure to uninstall (if you can) first

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In this situation, the stock response is to first try to use the "Repair" option under Help, which is found in every version of Office since 2000.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alyosha
Member # 6187

I can't get into the help in Word, so I looked in the Help under the Start menu, but I can't find anything! [Confused]
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Does the install cd have a "Repair Install" option on it? If so, that would be one way to get it fixed. If not, uninstall and reinstall. It shouldn't take you that long.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You can also run an Office repair by going to the Add/Remove Programs section in Control Panel, selecting Microsoft Office, and choosing Repair instead of Remove.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to mention that I've gotten lots of comments on the new tshirt I just got. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
That chick looks like a bad imitation of Seraphim at MegaTokyo.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

Nerd.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

Since I work in a cross-platform department, I also got this one to be fair. But what I really want is one of these!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Poly, isn't that blue-screen error message only applicable to people running a Chinese, Japanese, or Korean character set in Windows 98SE?

If I'm right, though, you're lucky; there's a hotfix available for your shirt. [Smile]

[ March 10, 2004, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my dream shirt right now...I'm thinking of ordering it really soon.

I thought I was going to get it at Christmas, but apparently the Victoria's Secret website held more allure than Think Geek.

It should look sweet with my black Panama Jack hat.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Alyosha,

As a Word expert (MOUS) and technical support where I work, I can tell you this is a common problem with Word.

Usually it is caused by a corruption in the normal.dot template - the blank document that Word opens automatically when you start it.

One way you can check for this is by running Word from a switch in the run line.

Go START - RUN, and type winword.exe /n in the open run line. (there is a space between the "exe" and the "/n" switch) Then hit "okay" and it will open Word without the normal template. If Word opens okay in this way, then you need to find and DELETE the normal.dot template. Word will recreate a new one next time it opens.

If you have more problems, feel free to e-mail me at the address in my profile.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alyosha
Member # 6187

Thanks for all the advice!

It still isn't quite working, but hopefully soon...

Nice shirt by the way [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.