FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Recipe help

Author Topic: Recipe help
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to know how to make plain white homemade icing... thanks [Hail]
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Like a buttercream frosting?

Lets see, maybe 4 cups pwd sugar, 1/4-1/2 cup butter, 1 tsp vanilla, some milk to get it to the right consistency. But that is not very white.

I bet you could find a recipe on the web... be right back.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polly
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Polly   Email Polly         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want it to be pure white, you have to use shortening, not butter or margarine, and clear vanilla extract.

http://cake.allrecipes.com/az/BestWhiteIcingEver.asp

[ March 09, 2004, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Polly ]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,161,147171-240196,00.html

First thing I came up with.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Plain white homeade icing with not alot of flavor is just powdered sugar mixed with very hot water, but it has to be alot of sugar, proportionately. You just mix until it looks right, and remember it hardens a bit when it cools.

Some people really love this icing, esp. on cookies.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
thank you [Hail] [Hail] [Hail]
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Icing like for doughnuts or frosting like for cake? For icing, we just fill a cereal bowl with powdered sugar and first add a teaspoon of vanilla. That will give you an idea of how much liquid impacts the sugar. Then add milk in little splashes, stirring thoroughly.

For frosting, I put 1/3 cup room temperature butter in a bowl, add 2 cups powdered sugar, mix as much as I can (it will be pretty pasty), add 1/4 cup milk and any vanilla desired (if you are taking someones suggestion of quadrupling the vanilla, you won't need so much milk). This will make it very thin. Now slowly stir in 2 more cups of powdered sugar. Adjust consistency by either adding more sugar (to dry it) or milk in teaspoon increments (to moisten it.)

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
My mother's frosting recipe (yum)

1 box powdered sugar
1 stick butter/margarine
A little milk to achieve proper consistency
vanilla extract to taste
^^^^^^^
can also be ANY flavor extract, allowing for all sorts of fun frosting flavors.

Mix sugar, butter, and extract using a hand mixer. Add milk in tiny increments until the proper consistency is reached.

Frost cake.

Fight with siblings over who gets to lick the bowl, beaters, spoons, etc.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.