FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Using phpBB or wBB for the forum?

Author Topic: Using phpBB or wBB for the forum?
Ayato
Member # 6307

- posted      Profile for Ayato   Email Ayato         Edit/Delete Post 
Im not sure if this has been discussed before, but I thought it would be great if the board would be changed to phpBB( http://www.phpbb.com/ ), or maybe wBB( http://www.woltlab.de/ )since this board looks abit archaic, to me at least. Then we could have avatars and signatures, and someone could put a nice scifi type skin for the background. Overall, I think it would make the forum much nicer, and more enjoyable to post at. Take this forum for instance:(uses wBB)
http://www.seki.wbbhost4u.net/wbb2/

or this:(uses phpBB)
http://lunarlair.us/forums/

It would be nice to add more sections as well.

Thoughts?

[ March 09, 2004, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Ayato ]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't a sci fi site, might be part of it. It's more of a folk/fantasy site.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing to add here. I just wanted to say "Domo Arigato Mr. Ayato" ever since I've seen your screen name. There, I've said it. And thus it shall be.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts are that you don't know much about forum software, since this ones is current (and has been for some time). Avatars are expressly denied, and signatures are turned off. However, these options are available. The forum looks this way because that's the way it is preferred by the owners of this board.
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayato
Member # 6307

My bad, I guess a fantasy skin instead of a scifi one. Anyways...

Yeah, I don't know that much about forum software. So, why are avatars turned off? Can this software have new skins added?

[ March 09, 2004, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Ayato ]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

In fact, the software that "seki" site uses is older than the version this one does.

And it's butt-ugly.

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayato
Member # 6307

Not as but-ugly as this one. [Taunt]
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
folk fantasy, not fantasy. If you are more interested in Mr. Card's sci fi fans, you might try philoticweb.net
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I like the look of this forum. It's simple and clean.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, twinky. [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I find most other internet forums have a glossy or cartoony look that just bugs me. They definitely don't look "cool."

I certainly can't say that I favour function over form explicitly – I'm a Mac user, and I just bought a shiny new Mac in a sexy aluminum case – but I do like things to look clean and uncluttered.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayato
Member # 6307

I don't like signatures much, since they take up too much space, but avatars are nice to have. But if simplicity is what you like, I guess this fits the bill nicely...

[Cry] Oh well.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts are that you don't know much about forum software, since this ones is current (and has been for some time).

Well, truth to tell the software for this forum is a few versions back, if the version number at the bottom is accurate. UBB is up to 6.7.something now, but most of the improvements are on the admin side.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

As quickly as the new revisions come out, Chris, that dates this version to about Spring of last year. That's pretty darn recent. And yeah, as far as the documentation I read before on UBB, the newer versions make administration easier (hence the dot-dot number change).
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the format of this forum, but I prefer the format of the Delphi forums. A few of the features that are really helpful include:

1) each post tells you not only who posted it, but to whom it is directed

2) each post tells you exactly which post it is responding to

3) each thread in which you have posted is marked so that you remember it

4) the forum points you to those posts that are directly to you and which you have not yet read

These features would be a tremendous help in this forum, where it can be really hard to follow a conversation because you can't tell who is being addressed (unless the writer goes out of his/her way to tell you), or which previous post is being referred to, and the only way to tell if anyone has written to you is to read all the way through each thread.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Please, no. I like the clean lines at this sites.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing this forum needs is a tweaking of the index.html template. It just needs a few cell paddings/spacings and a bit of CSS to clean up its overall look. Otherwise, it's incredibly solid. I'd have a hard time believing that phpBB or any other open source messageboard could handle this kind of traffic out of the box.

I'm glad this site doesn't have avatars and signatures. On all of the sites I've been to that have them, they're blatantly abused and cause the site to take forever to load. Some people seem to forget that there are people out there who still use dialup.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked how stripped-down and clean this place has seemed. I liked it when we only had 11 graemlins. To me, the basis of elegance is simplicity.

Having said that, I run my own forum with sigs and titles and avatars. But I have to have something to bring people in, even if it's nothing more than the hope that I'll some day give them a custom title. This forum doesn't need any of that.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
For a lightweight forum, I tend to run YaBB. Minimal setup, fairly full featured, and very nice to style.

As for whether an open source forum could handle this kind of load, I rather suspect you underestimate phpbb. First, the traffic at hatrack river isn't all that bad, even assuming a very frequent rate of refreshes. Say there are 300 people accessing the forum an average of once every two minutes each at peak traffic (likely an over estimate). That's only around 20 database queries a second (mostly trivial, every forum page has 6 to 8 queries on it, typically), maybe spiking as high as 60 very occasionally. The number of writes per second very rarely gets above one, I would bet.

Second, phpbb is a fairly high performance message board. I've known it to, on a single server with a non-optimized mysql setup, handle 250 people without problem (with more features turned on than this board).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, John, spring of 2003 was when another forum I'm on started up. It uses the version of UBB that was just released at that point -- 6.5, as it happens.

I'm not entirely clear which of the options that we have over there (like a searchable member directory) were available with version 6.3 (and are just turned off here) and which were not. But we do have sigs, avatars, and images.

OTOH, it's a VERY different crowd, and has only a fraction of the number of active threads at a time.

IMO, the Hatrack setup is remarkably good. The only thing I would like is a searchable member list. Oh, and the "show author of last post"/"jump to last post in thread" features.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
simple is good. The Mayfield forum I am also w/ uses avatars and signatures. it looks very cluttered.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

Wow, rivka. That means faster turnaround than is usual for most boards. [Eek!]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No avatars or .sig files, please. The presence of a post count stat is already almost too much, if you ask me....
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It was a bit buggy at first, too. [Razz] Although I haven't heard of any problems of late (and I'm friends with several of the mods).
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, while I like the avatars and sigs (well, most of 'em) on my other board, I think they would be AWFUL here.

Way too much traffic; and far too many quick-moving threads with replies that are only a line or two long.

slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be happy if they would switch the formatting of the forums over to other styles, or would even give people the option to do so in their profiles.

An example of what I consider to be a nice BB system is found on anandtech (this link is to Off Topic). The basic layout is very clean (or maybe it's just me that doesn't like either the graphcis clutter at the top with links, or the forum listings).

I also like the fact that 1) it's very easy to search for topics; 2) you can change the number of threads per page and responses per page; 3) you can filter threads so they're listed by creation date; and 4) you can subscribe to threads.

There's alot more that I like about their site, but figure that none of it will be taken seriously here.

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I run a UBB board at my site and keep it fairly up to date, mostly for the admin features.

But while I prefer Hatrack without sigs or avatars, I do miss the ability to jump to the latest post, and to be returned to the same place I left when I post or edit.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Interesting, slacker. I like our layout better; but those would be great features to have.

Fascinating crowd . . .

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.