FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Let the Madness begin!

Author Topic: Let the Madness begin!
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
March Madness!!! It's the best time of the year, and Selection Sunday is only days away. Who's excited?

Not enough Hatrackers, that's for sure, at least based on my not-so-random chat room sampling. It's the first time Hatrack has been lacking in any category of madness, I think. So get with it people! Let the madness begin!

(Or is it that everyone realizes I'm gonna win the bracketology competition this year? [Big Grin] )

[ March 09, 2004, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Tresopax ]

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I know I am. Whooeeeeee, go Texas!
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
"March Madness"? What's that? Isn't that what they call the JC Penny sales? Or is this a mommy and daddy thing that I'm too young to know about?
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Mommy and daddy thing? I wish!

But seriously... are you serious?

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Goat, but it's beautiful, so don't be embarrassed by it. One day, you will know what march Madness feels like, and when that day comes, you will be a man.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Pretty confused man, if you ask me.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Yes, Book...

Does it have to do with spring?

[ March 09, 2004, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty confused man, if you ask me.

[ROFL]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Okay, the informative AIMchatters explained to me what it is, and poked fun at me in much the same way you did here. [Smile]

That said, I believe anything related to college has to fit in the "mommy and daddy" category.

Book
Member # 5500

The only thing mommy and daddy have to do with college is large amounts of their money.

[ March 10, 2004, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Book ]

Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
National Corndog Day

I know one of the guys who helped invent this holiday.

What is National Corndog Day?

For those of you who may be first timers at this grand event, let us describe it as the happiest day of Basketball and meats on sticks that you'll ever have. National Corndog Day coincides with the Saturday of the final 32 teams in NCAA basketball tournament. This Saturday is the only day all year that one can watch a quadruple-header of college basketball games from start to finish without having to change the channel. Therefore, to celebrate the excitement of the college basketball tournament, and have fun with friends, we eat Corndogs! Lots of Corndogs...

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Xavier
Member # 2852

- posted      Profile for Ghost of Xavier   Email Ghost of Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to point out that I think I would have won this last year. I picked Syracuse to go all the way and win it, which they obviously did [Smile] . I don't remember playing a bracket game though, so I don't think we had one.

I did pretty good two years ago picking Xavier to go deap [Smile] . They did pretty well. Hmmm, we really do need to have another one of these so I can pick Xavier and Syracuse to meet in the championship game!

Posts: 80 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to see by beloved UD Flyers go deep into the tourney, but realistically they won't make it past the third round.

Now St. Joes has a chance of going all the way.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
With UVa folding against Maryland on Sunday, they now have to beat Clemson (easy) and Duke (hard, hard, hard) in the ACC tournament to have a shot at going. And I thought we were gonna do pretty good this year...

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to have a Hatrack Bracket Challenge. Once we have selection Sunday, (this Sunday?) ESPN and SI web sites have a tourny challenge where you can set up a group and each fill out your own bracket and they keep track of it all. Let me research a bit and I would be happy to set up the group if there is any interest.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Valpo! Both the men and the women will be playing! Yay!!
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

No offense, but for some bizarre reason Valpo sounds to me like a brand of dog food.
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I always fill out a bracket, and I probably will again this year. I'm having trouble getting too excited about it, though, because my Utes are in grave danger of missing the Dance for the first time in many years. Only the conference tournament this week can save them.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Valpo sounds like Alpo. But it's actually just a shortening of Valparaiso, 'cause who wants to say that all the time? [Smile]
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
If someone sets up the bracket challenge, I'll play.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Dag,

Becareful what you say about Clemson. Their new coach, Oliver Purnell, came from UD, after a great record here. He is a guy to watch.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
closeyourmind
Member # 5916

- posted      Profile for closeyourmind   Email closeyourmind         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's go Maryland Let's go...clap, clap.

We are likely to make it into the tournament this year despite ending the year 7-9 in the ACC. I'm glad we'll be in the NCAA tournament, but more interested in the ACC tournament this year. MD will probably go no further than the second round this year. It looks like we might play BYU in the first round, so we get a chance to woop up on some Mormons. [Smile]

Patrick

Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Oliver Purnell is a great coach. He actually made my brother's school (Old Dominion University) competitive while he was there.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so in, other side of the Atlantic though I may be on. I'm trying desperately to keep up with college hoops, but it's proving a bit difficult with very very limited internet access. But I will be in the bracket challenge. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Clemson down - now time to beat Duke!

Maybe I'll go with an all-ACC final four this year...

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

The biggest news happened in Dayton last night.

Undefeated St. Joe's got whipped by Xavier.

msquared

Ghost of Xavier
Member # 2852

- posted      Profile for Ghost of Xavier   Email Ghost of Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Xavier!!!!!!
Posts: 80 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Virginia 83, Clemson 79

Woohoo! Now we just have to beat Duke to get to the tournament.

Dagonee
*I love the smell of fantasy in the morning!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Woo-HOOS you mean... [Smile]
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thrak
Member # 5499

- posted      Profile for thrak   Email thrak         Edit/Delete Post 
I am getting very excited about the NCAA's. I can't wait for Selection Sunday so I can find out who else I will get to watch in person here in Raleigh.

If someone does run a Hatrack Pool, count me in.

Posts: 115 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

Doh
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
March Madness has always been a big deal to me..

however, it is just really hard to get into the spirit this year. Our KU team is just not what it was before, under Roy Williams.

We have too many freshmen this year and no longer our star players.

So this year's Final will be ho-hum for me. Maybe in a couple more years..............

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Double-doh!

*Mourns 'Hoos.

Xaposert
Member # 1612

Only an hour till show time!
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Another year, another mess. I gotta get started flipping coins. [Wink]
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone start a thing somewhere for this? If so, can you let me know soon?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay:

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/

Group name: Jatraqueros
password: ender

I think the group ID is 55464, if that's wrong, let me know.

Not much need to join, though, since I'm gonna win anyway. [Wink]

[ March 15, 2004, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Jeni ]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Jeni! I was going to set one up but my computer at school denies me because of games! And I'm off line at home right now. I should be able to find a computer to at least put my picks down though.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother's in the BYU band and last night he got the call that they are going to Denver. Pretty exciting!

I'm not informed enough to do the Yahoo thing. What is a pick set?

[ March 15, 2004, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Xavier
Member # 2852

Yeah, too bad they are just going to lose to Syracuse first game [Wink] ...

Thanks Jeni!

Once again my picks are a little tongue in cheek, but its fun anyway [Smile] .

Xaposert
Member # 1612

A pick set is a set of guesses about who will win. You don't have to be informed to make them. You just have to be lucky. [Wink]

(Also, do keep in mind that the lower seeded teams are the favored teams to win. 1 has always beaten 16. 2 has only beaten 15 a couple of times. 8 often loses to 9.)

Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
So is there a group yet this year? Have I missed a thread? If not let's get this going! The Yahoo pickem site is open and ready for business.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.