FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Office Chair Blues

Author Topic: Office Chair Blues
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've finally got a job I can do as well as study - two days a week, reasonable pay.

But after only half a day on the job, my lower back aches like crazy: and I just figured out why.

The seat of my swivelly chair, instead of being positioned in a normal fashion, points slightly downwards. It feels like I'm sitting on a very small slide.

I've played with all the levers and movable bits but no to avail. I even turned the chair upside down and studied it for a bit.

So, short of requesting a new chair - what can I do?

[ March 10, 2004, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a wedge-shaped cushion to put on the chair?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

That's an idea...

I wonder where I can find a wedge shaped cushion.

Not that I'm looking to avoid work or anything - I mean, filing is *fun*.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Pillow? Phonebook? Wedge-shaped cushion?

Another

New chair might be cheaper . . . [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jacare
Member # 950

- posted      Profile for jacare   Email jacare         Edit/Delete Post 
The seat of your chair isn't really tilted. It's an optical illusion that's confusing your equilibrium. Just tilt everything else in the office the opposite direction and you should be fine.
Posts: 175 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Looking at that cushion, Rivka, it looks like it's meant to give the effect my chair is giving for free.

I'll have buffed instrinisc trunk muscles before I know it!

rivka
Member # 4859

Err, but isn't it doing it in reverse, kinda? Or if not, couldn't it at least be made to do so?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

*looks at pictures again*

No, they're sloping forwards - like me. So my current painful position is helping my posture. Apparently.

Of course, I could get one and use it backwards.

Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess a cheap option to flatten out your chair a little would be to just bring a small pillow or folded up towel to work with you. See if it helps you feel a little better, and if not, try to swipe a better chair from somewhere else.

I guess it wouldn't help your posture to flatten out your chair though. *chuckles* Alas!

Maybe just focus on keeping better posture while working. Tighten up your abdominal muscles just a bit and sit up straight. Breathe properly, even. (All my years in band coming back to haunt me.)

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*thinks*

The wedges I've used do slope forward before you sit on 'em -- but I think they flatten out a lot while being sat upon. Or maybe that's just when I sit on 'em. [Wink]

imogen
Member # 5485

This is really sad but... it hurts to tighten my abdominal muscles since a doomed attempt to do pilates yesterday.

And there was I thinking it looked so easy. [Embarrassed]

Nato
Member # 1448

You think that might have something to do with your back hurting today?
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Naw, I'm pretty sure it's the chair.

My abs always ache after pilates - my back never does. (While I've done pilates before, this was a new - and it turns out, much more challenging - class).

Nato
Member # 1448

My dad has chronic back problems dating from a yard work injury a couple years ago. He has a couple of those wedge pillows for his office chair and driving. But he puts them behind him against the chair back.

Hm, right now, I put a pillow from my bed behind me against the back of the cheap dorm room chair, and my lower back feels better already...

... Almost good enough to start work on an essay that I really should spend some time on tonight. It's not due until Friday, but I have a much bigger one to write that's also due friday, so I really should do this one tonight.

Anyways, I suggest messing around with a pillow to see if you can get your chair to feel better.

slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a similar problem at work. The backing of the chairs that Safeway provides are convex, and would consistently hurt me. Quite often, after an hour or 2, I'd have problems breathing the pain would be so bad.

Even though my doctor attributed it to my posture, no position that I could find would help. Another way I determined it was my chair was that my back would become enflamed exactly where I made contact with it.

Knowing this, there was only one thing to do: get a new chair. I'd asked before, and had been told that we only have those types of chairs in the company (at least for my level).

I've done this at a previous job, where I had the same problem with a similarly designed chair, and was able to fix it by buying my own chair (with my own money) and taking it to work.

I'd clear it with the powers that be, but trust me, having your own choice for the chair is a life saver. Also, don't be stingy with it - my rule at work is that anyone can use the chair, as long as it's not damaged, and it's back in my spot when I get to work.

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
imogen-
I am in the chair business. If you email me the make and model of your chair (usually found on a tag under the chair) I should be able to tell you whether or not the chair has adjustable seat tilt. Most do these days.

If the chair doesn't have seat tilt, you can add spacers to the front of the chair to encourage more rear seat tilt.

Chairs are a big factor in making a workstation ergonomically friendly. If you're interested, I can email you a primer on how you're supposed to sit 90/90/90; eye-height for monitor and how to find your dominant eye.

Adjusting even a few small things can make a big difference in how you feel at the end of the day.

Hope you feel better!

email: Christine@Sitmatic.com

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Thanks Ladydove.

[Smile]

I'll email you tomorrow when I'm at work again.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ladydove, I have to ask: do you have, like, the best office chair in the world? Because I'D demand one, if I worked for a chair company. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.