FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I can taste my sleep.

Author Topic: I can taste my sleep.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
There has been something in my mind ever since I have been old enough to have memories.

I have noticed that on days when I am extremely tired, sick to the point of my body trying to put itself to sleep to heal, or taking antihistamines, there is a taste in the back of my throat, accompanying my sleepiness. This has nothing at all to do with sinus drainage, as it happens when my sinuses are normal, as well.

Does the body create a chemical that can put a person to sleep, and can it be tasted?

I know that one way the body puts itself to sleep is by the involuntary slowing of the breathing, causing less oxygen to get to the brain. (That's why tired people think everything is funny...it is very similar to being stoned.)

But are there chemicals involved, or is there some other way that the body can create sleepiness?

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kraid
Member # 6302

- posted      Profile for Kraid   Email Kraid         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the body does create a chemical to put you to sleep. I think it's dopamine, but I'm probably wrong. I'm not sure if you can taste it. All I know is that sleep sounds REAL good right now [Sleep]
Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kraid! (Unless you're a veteran using a new handle, then I take my "Hi" back! [Razz] )

Ah, is that why being drugged is being "doped"?

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kraid
Member # 6302

actually I believe that the chemical is called serotonin, not dopamine.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kraid
Member # 6302

Hi PSI Teleport
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I thought serotonin was what kept you happy/kept your moods even?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
From here:
quote:
Scientists have not yet elucidated the exact neurochemical mechanism by which sleep deprivation leads to mood improvements in depressed patients. The majority of evidence supports involvement of serotonin and dopamine in the mood improving effects of sleep deprivation, although findings are inconsistent for both neurotransmitters.

Current research
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Wow, that's pretty amazing!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.