FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gamers (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Gamers
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, I've been playing a lot of Silent Storm, but Call of Duty is my FPS of choice, at least until Battlefield: Vietnam comes out next week ...
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Knights of the Old Republic, Starcraft, a little bit of Jedi Knight II...

Will be playing Enter the Matrix as soon as I get my new computer.

Oh. This online game called Kings of Chaos. If you click this link you can sign up as my officer, which means I get stronger! Yay!

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of new people, as well as at least one old timer (me) who don't mind these threads. If they just looked up old threads, they would find out what people were playing 4-5 months ago. I gaming, that can be a horrible time lag.

I like RPG's, myself, and now that I have a decent computer I was wondering what people would reccommend. I loved Civ2 on my playstation (hell, I remember civ1!), but I've never had a computer of my own worth loading games into....

My dad loves Tiger Woods '04 so much that he went out and bought a trackball.....and he's the guy who didn't want me to get into computer classes when I was younger because (and this is really an actual quote)" You can't do anything with the damn things, can you? What's the future in that?"..... [Big Grin] [ROFL] [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been playing video games as long as they've been around.
Latest games have been:
Railroad Tycoon 3
Winning Eleven (soccer on PS2)
Civ 3

Eagerly awaiting HL2 and Sid Meier's Pirates!

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Does anyone here like Age of Empires, or Age of Mythology? I am thinking of buying a game tommorrow, but I'm not sure.

I also remember a friend telling me about a game based on The Wheel of Time, and he loved it, but that was a few years ago.

Any Ideas?

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, the list of games is long and distinguished. Here's my latest round:

- Rise of Nations
- UT2004 (demo now, but just wait)
- UT2003
- UT
- Unreal 2
- Halflife/Counterstrike
- Halo (if I can get the colors fixed)
- Age of Empires
- Quake 3
- Lords of the Realm 2
- Warcraft 3
- C&C (RA2, Yuri's Revenge, Generals, RA)

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently playing some old games – I just wrapped up Summoner and Giants: Citizen Kabuto, and I'm playing through Sacrifice (which is awesome).

I've tried the UT2k4 demo and it's fun – maybe even purchase-worthy – but I'm not really in an FPS mood these days. In the meantime I'm playing lots of WarCraft III with my friends.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Good old fashioned D & D and EQ.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently playing Civ III Play The World. I want to get the newest expansion for that but it may be a while yet. My rig won't handle UT 2004. 533 Celeron w/o accelerated graphices just don't cut it heh.
Same for EQ. Ain't played that in over a year now. Though I'd kinda like to get back into ot one day. Right now, I'm about 3 expansions behind.
I also like playing Mahjong for a braindead game.

Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

Bookwyrm, they are about to unveil a new graphics engine for EQ that should make it better for lower end computer systems.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Sopwith, what server are you on? (*crosses fingers* Sol Ro, Sol Ro! Or Terris Thule I suppose, Dan Raven is on there).
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Xbox - playing 007-Everything or Nothing. Best Bond game since the original.

PS2 - Kingdom Hearts and NCAA Football 2004

GameCube - Tiger Woods 2003(I'm behind the times) Zelda-Ocarina of Time Master Quest

GBA SP - Zelda - A Link to the Past, The legend of Mana

PC - occasioanlly I'll bust out Star Craft, but I'm not a big PC gamer

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

Hehehe, I'm on Cazic Thule, Hobney Underhills, 62nd Hobbit Druid and barbecue expert of Norrath!

[ March 11, 2004, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Sopwith ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I just beat Morrowind's main quest earlier this week. I expect that I'll go on and play the Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansion packs, since I already bought and installed them, but I hope that they're harder; my character is currently at 51st level, and beating the Ultimate Insane Evil God wasn't much of a challenge; heck, he didn't even land a punch. I loved the game earlier on, but once I got to about 40th level or so I was just playing it to finish something that I'd started.

Civ III is a great game, but after playing a campaign that lasted 9 months, I'm kind of Cived out for the time being. I'll probably wait a few months and then see what's out there to be played. I used to constantly be playing several games, but I don't have the time (or, really, the interest) for that anymore.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I think that may be Morrowind's only flaw. My wussy little wood elf could ignore the main quest and go kick the Ultimate Evil Sunflower's butt any time she wants. That's probably why I barely bother with the main quest. I just love the environment so much that I don't care about the plot. [Cool]

[ROFL]

The thing is that that aspect is also it's greatest strength. Any character you make can win.

[ March 11, 2004, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: celia60 ]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I love the environment too, but it's just gotten a little...dull. I miss getting to boost important attributes when I level up, too. All but three of my attributes are at 100, and the three that aren't don't really effect my game much. My character is at 100 with a couple of weapons too. I'm working on a third weapon now.

Also, my character is rolling in cash. I found that talking mud crab, and sold him enough stuff that I now have 300K worth of gold. The whole scrabbling for cash element of the game was vexing, but helped to shape the game, so that's gone too.

For all my complaining, though, I have to say that Morrowind is far and away the best CRPG I've ever seen. Anybody played around with creating mods? A friend of mine and I are kicking around the idea of porting his old pen and paper AD&D world over to the Morrowind platform (actually, he was in favor of the NWN platform, but I think I've convinced him). He and his wife just had a baby, though, so those plans will probably have to wait until Bethesda's next generation of CRPG comes out.

I'm playing a wood elf too, by the way.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
The Morrowind expansions should be a lot tougher for you - My level 30 Nord smackdown artist gets his arse handed to him by the guards in Mournhold. He normally carves up Ordinators like a hot knife through butter.

I just grabbed Dark Age of Camelot, is anyone playing that? I also tried the UT2004 demo, definitely cool. Most of my time is being taken up by Knights of the Old Republic right now.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

I had the advantage of watching Bill's game and seeing where it would stop being fun for me. So I kind of stay away from venturing too far down the self improvement path.

Have you played around with enchanting at all?

My wussy little wood elf is a bard, which means that just about any advantage i get from the race ends up in the misc. skill set. Whoops!

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I EQ. I can't support more than two mind altering addictions, and they would be Hatrack and EQ.

Terris Thule, 52 Monk, miffed that they nerfed my Fishing Platnum mine yesterday.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm putting in my vote for NetHack as the greatest game of all time.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Cool Tick. I've actually ventured into Mournhold a little bit--before I found the money crab, I ended up mining the Dark Brotherhood (or whatever it's called--the assassin's guild that's based in the sewers of Mournhold) for high priced, light weight armor to sell. I'll have to test my character's mettle against those guards.

Yeah celia, it would have been handy to watch someone else play. It's kind of funny--I abandoned my first character and started a new one because I'd made the mistake of specializing in medium armor, and thought, by the time I realized my mistake, that a skill level in the high 20s was just too far into the game to recover from.

I haven't played around much with enchanting. I've messed with it a bit, but found it a little frustrating, and haven't done anything more with it. Is it worth delving into?

celia60
Member # 2039

only if you're willing to abuse the game engine. with intelligent and enchantment both at 100, you'll still fail the vast majority of the time. (sms me if you want to know the the trick to it, but i warn you, you'll be stuck with that knowledge [Smile] )

if you want to play by the rules, you're doing well enough on cash to be able to pay people to enchant things for you.

if i had the time to actually play, i have a little celia-made sidequest that would end with me being completely invisible, but i don't have the time.

BattleSchooler06
Member # 6279

- posted      Profile for BattleSchooler06   Email BattleSchooler06         Edit/Delete Post 
i play all HL games....Unreal Tourny...Quake 3 Arena....AA...Halo....and really any other FPS online game.....i like those they movee fast and keep my brain on one thing....
Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

Yeah Dan, the nerfing of the fishing was a bit ridiculous. I had gotten to do it a wee bit, but not to the extent I had wanted.

I, however, am responsible for the great Post Luclin Cheese Nerf. Back in the day, I noticed there was a recipe for basically macaroni and cheese in the game. I jumped right in there and started making a ton of Mature Cheese (go figure) to make up some nice pasta and cheese goodness. While I was combining away, the guild raid time hits and I decide to ditch my extras to the nearby merchant. That's when I found out that you could buy the ingredients for a stack of cheese, make it and turn around to sell it for like a 16 pp profit. Nothing huge, but hey, Baking finally pays off.

A couple of days later, I mention it to a fellow in our guild who then went and blabbed it to a heavily used channel. The next day I go in and it is standing room only at the Granger merchant in Shadowhaven. People had jumped in and turned it into a cheese factory!

A week later, EQ pops for a patch and when it comes back up, they've eliminated that merchant and well, the nerf was on. Ooops, my bad for having a big mouth in the first place.

Noemon
Member # 1115

mmmm...I think I'll play by the rules. Once you start breaking them games always stop being fun. Well, that's my experience anyway. But thanks!

I kind of felt like I was cheating with that mud crab, honestly.

TheTick
Member # 2883

I know the trick celia speaks of. It's really cheap, but within the game mechanics. Anyway, it's easier to let someone else enchant stuff. You may also want to try some of the player made content out there, there's some really good mods out there that are tough.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kamisaki
Member # 6309

- posted      Profile for Kamisaki   Email Kamisaki         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been playing some old games that I never got around to when they came out. It's great for when your budget's a little tight. Most recently, it's been Curse of Monkey Island, The Sims, and Heroes of Might and Magic 3.

Next on my list is Age of Empires 2/Age of Mythology. I saw a pack in the gaming store that had both those games plus both of their expansion packs all in one, but last time I went, someone had bought it. I can't find it on eBay or Amazon either at the moment. Has anyone else seen that package? It would really save me a lot of money if I could get them all at once.

[ March 11, 2004, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Kamisaki ]

Posts: 134 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Heroes 3 is great. Have you tried Heroes 4? Very different, but still good.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Lost my play disc for Heroes 3. Really ticked me off, it's one of the games where my wife is just as good if not better than me. [Smile]
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Dangit, how come I didn't know about the fishing profits [Frown] . Ah well, there is always Colbalt Scar [Wink] .
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kamisaki
Member # 6309

- posted      Profile for Kamisaki   Email Kamisaki         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I haven't played Heroes 4 yet, but I'm sure I'll get around to it. Heroes 3 was my introduction to the series, and now I'm hooked on it.

Only problem is that I'm waiting for my new power supply to come so I can actually use my computer again...grumble, grumble.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I bought Age of Empires, and I like it a lot. I would suggest it to anyone who likes real time stratagy games.

My wife basically likes FPS, or action/type games, so she won't even tough it......all the better for me! [Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh]

Kwea

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I play few games, but I like Age of Empires. Hubby plays BF1942, mostly the Desert Combat and the new Forgotten Hope mods, and is eagerly ewaiting his belated birthday present: BF Vietnam. He's even in one of those "clans". [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I plan on buying Phantasy star online III soon.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Worms Armageddon is one of the greatest, funnest games EVER! But unfortunately our only copy was on a computer that died recently. [Frown]

We just got Neverwinter Nights a few weeks ago. AWESOME GAME!!! [Big Grin] It's basically D&D on the computer, with really good graphics.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Neverwitner Nights is pretty good. I have never gotten through it. I've started a couple of times, but gotten bored each time before I could complete the game.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
[can hardly wait for Battlefield Vietnam]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wants to play UT 2004 when it comes out tomorrow]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, but first I have to get a new computer. And before that I need to save money. And before that I need to open an account. And before that I need to bring that suit the dry cleaners. And before that...
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
Forget about Battlefield Vietnam, I want UT 2004!!
Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Get bored with NWN? hmm, I have not found this possible.

UofULawGuy: NetHack, great game!

UT2004, I am going to need to dig out some cash to buy this tomorrow.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
**cough**

ADOM is better than NetHack.

**starts clique**

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Eruve Nandiriel: If you miss worms try Liero.

It's a bit differnt though:
1)it's only 2 player.
2)it's real time rather than turn based.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Argh! I thought UT 2004 came out today, but it doesn't! It's not out 'till Thursday! What am I going to do this week now, *work*????? [Dont Know]
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for Progress Quest.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I just started playing Worms World Party again. Hilarious and fun. I always make sure my team is using the Angry Scots soundbank, it's the greatest.
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Morrowind (XBOX) [Wall Bash]
Counter Strike [Hail] (PC and XBOX, mostly XBOX, there is no lag)
Civ 3 [Grumble] (it is impossible to beat the single player mode on the easiest level)

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

What's the problem with Morrowind on the X-Box?

Civ III, in my experience, is pretty easy to beat on the easier difficulty levels, and not all that tough to beat on the higher levels, once you've learned the game fairly thoroughly.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, CivIII's not really all that hard once you figure out how they broke the game with Corruption and change your strategies accordingly.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Tried a search, and didn't find a thread so I'll just bump this one...

Anyone here partaking in Dawn of War (Warhammer 40k)? I bought it because I needed a cheap break from WoW, and was undergoing strategy withdrawl, and had had my eye on this game for awhile. I must say even with some high expectations, this game exceeds them. Though since Relic was on board I'm not entirely shocked.

My first impression of the game was that it was a fine cross between Total Anhiliation and Warcraft III. Second impression was that there isn't any way to not compare the game to Starcraft (The Protoss appearantly have some long lost cousins named the Eldar in DoW).

The Negatives: Well, the most glaring negative is that the single-player missions / storyline is weak. Very much so, to the point of 10 missions as one race (of four), which takes about 8 hours to bash through. Since Relic had a pretty heavy hand in the Homeworld games, this is somewhat shocking that the story is so weak while the Warhammer 40k universe is overflowing with content. The interface is a little more cumbersome than my favorite strategy games. Much scrolling and map clicking is needed to navagate around the battlefield. I also found the sound to be somewhat weak. The character cues have their moments, but most sound like someone was ordered at gunpoint to read from a card, but charismatically if you please. The music on rare occasions gets out of synch with the action, and just sounds wrong, but only rarely.

Alright, enough about the negatives. The upside to the lack of single-player missions is that it quickly becomes obvious that this game was planned for skirmish and multiplayer modes, and was designed with that in mind. One half of the resources can be located in your base (power), but the other half has to be obtained by capturing and holding strategic points through out the map. Games can even be set up where the game will end if one person controls enough points for more than 7 minutes. Other game win conditions that can be set are anhiliation (typical) leader assassination, and a plethora of others I haven't tried yet.

Another strong plus is the four races in the game. I've played three of them thus far, and using even similar strategies for each race is a sure way to lose. And Quickly. The units are widely varied, and combat is spread across melee, short range, long range, technological/magical (chaotic actually), and so on. Each race of course excels at one, with the others working to balance the general power out. Vehicles are present in the game, but in a very minimal way. In my largest games I never had more than four or five vehicles, and they really are that powerful. Each side has "Hero" units that act as commanders. Not a new idea, but DoW has placed it well in context. Infantry units are a bit different than typical however. Control of infantry happens in squads rather than as individual units. This helps with some of the micromanagement since you click once, and then move 6-12 people at once. Another micromanagement elimination comes from the ability to "link" support units with squads (such as healers, artillery, scouts, etc). Their default abilities follow around and activate when needed. Lastly on this point, static defenses are... well, they are weak. I was a fond proponent of the Terran Turtle technique in Starcraft, and that isn't much of an option in DoW. But this also means that games tend to be shorter, more fluid, and more desperate. That's fun in itself. Another nice, though not earth-shattering, change is the use of cover / negative cover. Units in trees of a crater recieve bonuses to mitigate damage done to them, units in a river have damage added to them from being slowed and exposed.

The graphics are almost cutting edge for RTS, and seem to be a bit easier on the hardware than most. My meager machine hasn't chugged a single time running the game. Unit colors, emblems, and banners can be customized in several thousand (or million) different ways, which is a nice change from the typically choice of 8 colors. Unit details are exceedingly high, should you choose to look. I swear my infantry units had different numbers of ribbons on their armor, but they kept dying before I could confirm. A caution on the detail, the game may not have deserved an M rating for gore, but it's close. The first time you see someone stuck on the horn of one of the battle creatures (think Oiliphant, with more charisma), that becomes pretty obvious. Well, I haven't seen any individual limbs yet, so like I said it's debatable.

Alright, that's gotta be a good enough description. Anyone else been playing this game and enjoying it? Anyone plan to?

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.