FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Apartments

Author Topic: Apartments
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's that time of year. I'm absolutely not living in a dorm again. I don't have a roommate, but I still have no privacy, and I resent the fact that I have _one_ all-purpose sink. Thus, my dish detergent is next to my toothbrush. So I need to find someplace else to live.

Here's the problem: I can't find that many online listings for places in Uptown New Orleans/Garden District/University area. So far, there have been two. I visited one of them, and it had awful lighting. Anyways, I need to find either a somewhat affordable one-bedroom or a two-bedroom where both rooms are somewhat the same size. I have a friend to room with, but although he said I could have the master bedroom, he doesn't want to be living in a filing cabinet, either. And we need to find someplace soon because we're being kicked out of the dorms mid-May.

Can any of you guys help us out?

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having difficulty understanding why you've only been able to find two apartments when you live right in a large metropolis.

Also, if possible, I would recommend a renting a privately owned house, or partitioned house, before I ever lived in a complex.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest you ask your University administration what the names and phone numbers of some local apartment realtors are [Razz] . In fact, they may even offer an apartment finder service to students [Wink] .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe there isn't a student ghetto almost right beside the school. Perhaps you don't want to live there, but I'm sure it'll have openings for the summer at least.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

The student ghetto around here is the Cabra dorm...which means eight people to a suite....which means eight people share a bathroom. Ugh.

The problem is finding apartments that are _close_ to the school. Most buildings are full nearly all of the time. In fact, the second building we visited only had one vacant apartment, and that was a studio. Stupid Uptown....see, I don't live in downtown New Orleans. The universities are in an area that doesn't allow high-rises and is mostly fancy-shmancy houses and bars.

We wanted an apartment as opposed to a house because of the cost. Plus, both of us are going to be gone for significant periods at different points in the year (I'm taking six weeks off after this semester, then coming back...he's taking three months...), so we thought a house might be too much responsibility; the apartment complexes have 24-hour security and whatnot.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Craigslist is one of the best online sources for apartments. Cargslist New Orleans is relatively new, but it should heat up quickly given the grass roots support for the site. Good luck! [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
A split house apartment is often more reasonable than a complex apartment.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Split house? Hm. We might end up just walking around the neighborhood tomorrow and seeing what we run across.

Of course, my _father_ is horribly conflicted about this whole thing. He wants me to have a roommate because he thinks it would be safer than living alone in this city, but he also doesn't want his little girl living with a guy.

pH
Member # 1350

Update: My suitemate said she'd be more than happy to room with me, and she already found an apartment complex, so we should be signing a lease within two weeks.

Unfortunately, I can't get Joe to understand that my father doesn't like the idea of me living with a man. Joe's response is, "Tell him you already have a boyfriend, and it's not me!" He doesn't get that my father doesn't want to think about his youngest daughter dating _anybody_. At all. [Roll Eyes]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
pH, I understand... believe me I understand.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

And AJ, it doesn't even matter if I'm not dating Joe, which I'm not....ugh. What matters is that Joe is male, and therefore it's not "proper" for us to live together, and suggesting to my dad that I might be dating _anybody_ at all is a bad idea. Grrrr. [Mad]
Spice Weasel
Member # 6262

- posted      Profile for Spice Weasel   Email Spice Weasel         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen your picture. You should be able to find a sugar daddy, no problem.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.