FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Prom (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Prom
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm debating on if I want to go to my prom or not. My Girlfriend seems to be pretty undecided, and I’m not sure if I want to go or not (I’ve never been before). I've herd paople say that proms are worthless and just for the preps, and i've herd other people say that they wouldn't trade their proms for anything. I've been debating this for a couple of days now, and I think I’d like to hear what more intelligent people think about their own prom/proms in general. I know that i must seem really pathetic for starting this thread, but o-well.

I also want to hear some embarrassing stories (we all know you have them)

[ March 12, 2004, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: J T Stryker ]

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't you a sophomore? So if you don't go this year, you'll still have other chances, right?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
True, it's not my last chance, but Raia won't be around next year, so i hesitate to say that i can just go another year (she's a senior, and thats why i can go this year)
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally was forced to go by vicious ganging up of just about everyone but my sister. I normally abhorr social events like dances, but it was very very enjoyable. My date was my friends little stuffed ant, and I just went with some friends. I'm glad I did, cause it was fun.\

And I only wish I could tell you the embarassing story, but I suspect my friend might get in trouble if I did....

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I went because it was prom. It wasn't all that spectacular, and I left rather early. But I wanted to say that I had gone. Not sure why.

And getting a gorgeous new dress didn't hurt, either.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
True, it's not my last chance, but Raia won't be around next year, so i hesitate to say that i can just go another year
[Blushing]

Sorry, just had to draw attention to that, thanks Stryker... [Smile] You technically could go another year, but I'm very flattered.

Yeah, I can't decide if I want to or not... once this thread grows a little bit in size, and people give a lot of input, maybe I can make more decisions. On the other hand, maybe not, as I am possibly the most indecisive person on the board. Just ask Stryker, he'll tell you. [Taunt]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Coming from someone who didn't go, you should go. You'll regret it later.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear proms are fun for everyone. I didn't go to mine, but if you can go I don't see any reason why you shouldn't.
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not like going now would prevent you from going again in later years.

My embarrassing story -- I fell asleep in a chair at the after-prom party my junior year. Some seniors decorated me with assorted vegetables and took pictures. I've never seen the pictures, though, so I'm basically taking the word of people who were mean. There was broccoli in my pockets, though, so I suppose that's evidence that they could have done it. But hey -- either way, at least no photos made it into the yearbook....

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Xavier
Member # 2852

- posted      Profile for Ghost of Xavier   Email Ghost of Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, go.

The worst that could happen is that you only had an okay time. But even that would be hard cause you'll get to dress up and dance with your signifigant other. The cliques mean very little when you have someone who makes all others disappear.

The ONLY excuse is if you have no date, and you clearly do [Smile] .

The worst thing that could happen if you don't is a lifetime of regret. No small thing that.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I went out with the same girl all through highschool. The first time we went was hers and it was a blast. We went out to a little place called Dee Dee's Diner at Scott's Bay with a bunch of friends, the dance itself was a whole lot of fun. Her year was a pretty cool year. Afterwards we went back to her place and played board games with out mothers (is that embarrassing? I don't know, it certainly made their days! And, really, who could possibly turn down Escape From Atlantis?) I'm pretty sure twinky and his date fit in their somewhere.

Anyway, the next year we went to mind and it wasn't nearly as fun. My year was also a cool year, but the music was lamer, she had been gone for a large chunk of the year, I was getting set to leave and never come back. The two of us were slowly but surely drifting apart. Our head's just weren't in the right place. I know I'd have regretted it if I hadn't gone though, just to experience it with my classmates. It's a pretty "meh" memory.

Which is, in the end, why I think you should go. You'll probably love it (huzzah!) or be very "meh" about it. So you really don't lose either way. If you don't go you'll probably wonder what it would have been like. Go out, have fun. Make it fun.

Edit: Well, I left out at least one word. I wonder if it approaches being coherent now?

[ March 12, 2004, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Bob the Lawyer ]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to two proms last year. Mine, and my girlfriend's (Well, she was my girlfriend until she moved to Oregon.).

I went to mine with my friend Jacqueline. Actually, I had decided to write up the whole thing (and I believe I posted it as well.) I'll copy it into the end of this post.

Then, about a month later, I traveled to Long Island to stay with my gf Teresa. Her prom was a lot classier than mine, but frankly what made it worth it was the fact that I was spending such an important night with her. *laughs* We were actually both so exaughsted that we wound up sitting on a chair and sleeping together in the middle of it for 45 minutes. Then, after the prom, we all went to a diner in our tuxedos and dresses. :-)

I'll link to pics of the proms when I find them. Here's my writeup of my school's prom though:

5:38am-6:06am June 6th, 2003

Note: This Prom Summary was written starting at 5:38am, so there are no guarantees as to how coherent it will be. Not to mention the fact that I’m hocked up on my second No Doz pill.

The evening began quite normally. I showered. That’s when everything abnormal started.

Tuxedos---They’re really cool. I wish I knew how to put it all on myself. I yelled at my Dad to come help me. We start futzing with everything so much that I realize that if I don’t leave in 2 minutes I will be late picking up my date. This is when I realize I didn’t shave. Can’t go to prom shaggy, so I had to shave dry. Ugh. Anyway, I rush down to the car, grab the keys and everything, and go. Did I say everything? I started to drive away when I realized the corsage was still inside. I go back inside, grab it, and off I go.

I arrive at my date Jacqueline’s house, at which point I enter, see her, give her the Corsage and got my Boutonniere (God I hope that’s spelled right.), her rents take a few pictures, then its off to my house. Oh wait, I forgot to mention the fact that my date, though she always looks amazing, was DROP-DEAD GORGEOUS!

Anyway, we go to my house, my dog goes nuts like she always does when meeting a new person. My rents take pics, and off we go to dinner.

Except for the fact that we have 40 min to kill before our reservations begin. So I suggest we stop and see our friend Jen. So we do. I ask Jen if she has a camera, so we can get a pic with the three of us in it. She doesn’t. Off to Giant we go. The three of us drive over there and grab a camera, being the center of attention of the supermarket, of course.

Jen was extremely nice and offers to walk home (its only a few blocks from her house) since we’d be running late for our reservations. Jacqueline and I try to go to the planned parking lot which turns out to be full. So we go a little farther down and find another one, which costs $15 instead of $10, not to mention being farther away. We walk to dinner, everyone on the sidewalks of Georgetown telling us how nice we look, etc. We were the center of attention in Georgetown, of course.

We go to dinner, a very nice restaurant named Paolo’s. Italian food, candles, etc. Our food gets to us uber-fast (they must have realized we were going to Prom cuz it was definitely special service). Afterwards, we walk down to CVS and buy some No Doz. We were the center of attention in CVS, of course.

We walk back to the car, where the guy gives me back 9 bucks cuz we weren’t parked that long. Uber-cool. We drive off to find the hotel where the Prom is, getting lost in the process, but eventually we find it.

Man, was Prom awesome. It was a really nice hotel, with a really good dj. I had fun seeing a lot of my friends. Jacqueline and I danced practically the entire night, and man, can that girl dance! Sometimes they had bubbles or soapy stuff fly out like snow. We requested some swing songs, and had fun swing dancing. We were the center of attention at Prom, of course.

We got lost again, trying to find the way back to her house. Eventually we found it. At which point I dropped her off. (Note: the plans Im about to mention had been made earlier in the day) Jacqueline’s parents hadn’t wanted her to go to after-prom at my school with me, since she had school the next day. So I asked my friend Kate, whose mom wouldn’t let her because after-prom is supposed to be something “special” to go to after prom. So after dropping Jacqueline off, I drove to Kate’s, who snuck out. (Btw, girls take a LONG-ass time to shower!) At which point we pulled over around the corner, where I told Kate not to look, and proceeded to go to the side of the car, in between the backseat door and the brush, where I changed from my tux into normal clothes. Back in the car, we drove to Jacqueline’s, who snuck out of her house, and we picked her up.

Off to my school. We had had this elaborate plan with my friend Asa, who went to prom with my friend Kate (another Kate). They were gonna call me when their limo ride was almost done, so I could give one of them the money to get one of the girls in, since I figured I was only allowed to bring in one girl. Asa didn’t call, so we decided we’d try the whole honesty approach. We didn’t need to. We just walked up and they let me buy three tickets. We entered, had fun eating Belgian waffles, spraying each other with whipped cream, played Dance Dance Revolution, played in a Moon Bounce until it deflated, won lots of stuff in the raffles, and got these cool key chains made with pictures of the three of us in them. Did you know that they had jousting next to the moon bounce? We didn’t get a chance to try it, but it looked totally cool. We were the center of attention at After-Prom, of course.

We walked back to my car, and had fun opening the windows and sunroof, blasting out Zoot Suit Riot at 4 in the morning. We dropped Kate off, then Jacqueline and I went to Tastee’s Diner (the only place open 24/7) Man, what a crappy diner. But the milkshakes were good, and the fact that I was with Jacqueline made everything great, cuz I mean, how could I not be feeling great when she’s around? We were the center of attention in the diner, of course.

Oh btw, did I mention that on the way to the diner I was driving through a yellow light, which turned red before I thought it was going to, and IT FREAKING TOOK MY PICTURE AND ILL BE GETTING A TICKET SOON!

After the diner, I brought Jacqueline back home, and helped her open the window and lowered her back into her house.

If I could change anything about tonight…..no, I wouldn’t change a damn thing. (Well, maybe that red light. ;-))

-Noah

P.S.
Pics are soon to be up.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, a lot of people here are urging you to go. My first inclination was to say, if it isn't important to you, don't go. But I have a unique perspective on the situation:

I went to 3 different high schools. By the time I got to the last one, I was pretty unenthusiastic about the whole shenanigan. Prom meant fond memories for most of the people around me, but not for me. My "boyfriend" had run away from home and left no contact info (long story) and there wasn't anyone I wanted to go with at all. So I wasn't planning on going.

But my sweet and wonderful (and very hansome) older brother wouldn't hear of it. He told me there was no way I wasn't going to my own prom. I looked and looked for a dress and found nothing I liked. I found something "acceptable", but I didn't like it. I had an okay time, but it I really wouldn't call it fun.

Everyone was so impressed with my oh-so-hansome date, but I was mortified that it was actually my brother--like I wasn't good enough to get a real date. The couple we were with, a close friend of mine and a guy she liked, were being all cutesy and flirtsy and my brother went to bed early and I stayed up and felt like a third wheel. Honestly, it was a pretty miserable evening and I didn't get much out of it. I don't want to be ungrateful to my brother, I will always remember it as a token of his caring for me, but I kinda wish I hadn't gone at all. I guess you could say I regret going to prom.

So, anyway, you might regret it if you don't go. But my advice to you is still, if you don't really care, don't bother. Go do something else instead that you will actually enjoy.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I was practically forced to go. A friend (Jackie) I went to school and church with came by the table in the cafeteria and told me I better ask our friend Jenny to prom before Jenny asked me. I would have never heard the end of it otherwise. It was my senior year that time so I asked. Homecoming was better. Left with two girls [Smile] . (pull mind out of gutter) Same two as mentioned before. Jackie's date was not able to pick her up or take her home that night. So...being the nice friend (and the fact that she only lived three houses down from mine) I provided transportation. Prom wasn't the best time of my life, but it was still worth going to.

Otherwords....GO!!! Take her to prom and dance. Sweep her off her feet or what have you. This way you can look back and say you went at the very least. If you don't go you might regret that you didn't.
[Party]

of course beverly has a good option too. I didn't think about that back then. (I was a little slow)

[ March 13, 2004, 01:41 AM: Message edited by: Stan the man ]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/calvinmaker2/album?.dir=/Prom&urlhint=actn,ren%3as,1%3af,0
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
No kiddin', Noah, Jacqueline looks great!
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't regret having gone to my HS prom, despite the fact that I wasted a good two or three weeks of my life being all angsty with respect to who to ask.

I enjoyed getting dressed up, and especially enjoyed busting out the ballroom dancing at the actual event. The subsequent board games with BtL and his date were also a good time, and what followed that – which is to say, my date and I hanging out at my place, eating junk food, and watching Monty Python – was also most excellent.

All things considered it was a good time. I don't know why I waste so much time thinking about these things.

...and how little has changed in the last five years... I now find myself rapidly approaching my university graduation ball. Oddly enough, the lead-up to it has been much the same, though I think I've more or less settled on going it solo rather than taking someone (I did ask someone, but sadly I was too late; there's another girl, but the timing isn't quite right).

There's a certain amount of irony in all of this somewhere, if only I can find it...

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say go. It's better to be able to look back and say, "Wow, that was the goofiest thing I've ever done" rather than to look back and say, "I sure wish I had gone."
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Having gone to no less than 5 proms, I would advise you to go to at least one, especially if you are actually dating the person you take. Some proms will be better than others, of course, but usually they are pretty fun. It is not going to be the greatest night of your life, but you do get to dress up, dance, and make some (hopefully) good memories of high school. That is more fun than I usually had in an evening in high school.

This is all if you are unsure about whether to go or not. If you (or anyone who reads this) are dead set against it then it will probably not be all that fun. Generally, I have found proms to be largely what you make of them.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

From what I’m hear it sounds like I should go, I mean Stan The Man gave me my general instructions for the evening.

quote:
Otherwords....GO!!! Take her to prom and dance. Sweep her off her feet or what have you. This way you can look back and say you went at the very least. If you don't go you might regret that you didn't.
So Raia, I suggest you start dress shopping, cause you’re going to prom (I have decided).

Oh ya, and i'll officially ask you about it later, so don't get pissed (just covering my butt).

Raia
Member # 4700

[ROFL]

Umm, right. Hatrackers, is it a bad sign that I was pretty much asked to prom over the internet? [Wink] Welcome to the age of computers!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, there's worse (or better, depends on how much of an Internet-fan you are): somebody asking you to marry him on a public forum ! And if you think that is the worst/best, you're wrong ! What if it turns out that the asker is a program ?! (Jane-like, you know [Big Grin] )
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

[Laugh]

Corwin, you're right... that is worse. Hehe! Thanks, you made me feel a little better. [Wink]

Stryker, I wasn't trying to make a fool of you or anything, dear, I just thought it was funny! [Group Hug]

CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

Yeah, it was fun going last year, but there's only one person I'd wanna go to prom with this year (our prom is a junior and senior prom, since our school is really small), and she lives in oregon.

So I figure I'm just not gonna go this year. It's expensive as hell, and I'm saving up for my scooter.

Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Prom's in just a little over a month for me and I have no idea whether I'm going or not either.

Based on past experience, dances are okay when you go with a group of friends but are pretty bad when all of said friends have dates. This year, my friends all have dates and the only date I'm interested in having is a little over-aged for a high-school prom, not to mention not really in control of his schedule (oh, the joys of the Army).

So, do I go with my friends anyway? Not go at all? Snag a "date" with a friend from my old school?

I have no idea. I'll tell you what, though, a new dress sounds very tempting [Big Grin] .

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Pixie, I have to agree... a new dress is a definite plus. [Wink]
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
You two should go. Granted there are monetary concerns, but other than that how much does it exactly cost you? If you don't, you run the risk of regretting it, and if you do, you could create some beautiful memories, some funny memories, or just have some fun. Anything could happen, it might suck, but you'd have shared the experience and never had to think about regrets. Regrets are the devil, my own personal devil anyway (at times), and w/something as simple as the prom, why avoid it?

As for stories? Hmmm, there was a vegetable carnation craze in the bay area in the early nineties when I went and my girlfriend got me a carrot carnation [Wink] . Additionally for our senior prom, we had to use a fake date. Our relationship was forbidden by her parents (no dating in High School, particularly no dating of white guys like me who weren't valedictorian material (she was) and weren't looking like future money makers). So since we were going to dine w/one of our clean cut friends, actually one of only two Mormon guys I knew at my High School, we got his date's approval to act as a fake date and pick her up, then we'd all meet together at a restaurant and go from there. Nothing major, but how many people have used stand in's as fake dates to meet the parents of their girlfriend on Prom Night? [Big Grin] . One of the more interesting twists, is that three years earlier, everyone but my later to be girlfriend knew I liked her in the worst way, and in our Freshmen English Lit class our teacher cast this very same Mormon friend as Romeo, my later girlfirend as Juliet, and myself as Paris. I forgot all about that. It was one of those bizarre twists of fate that you can forget about.

It was pretty fun, nice, and one of those rare times we were able to get together at night during our High School years (the forbidden thing)and it's a nice interesting memory. Please do, go, and have fun, just enjoy yourselves and let go. It's High School, and while it's not always fun, something like the Prom can really be a nice, enjoyable way of sharing some last moments w/someone your close too, particularly in this case since Raia is out of there after June?

[ March 13, 2004, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: graywolfe ]

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend told me yesterday that he would be in Kansas with the Solar Bike team during prom.

He informed me of the solution he'd come up with to this problem- ask one of my guy friends who wouldn't have a date to go with me.

I thought it was hilarious that my boyfriend was telling me to ask another guy out.

However, I'm still not sure I'm going, it was fun when I went last year, but I went with a large group of friends, and this year all of my friends have boyfriends and I don't think it would be as much fun. I'm not even sure if my friends with boyfriends would want to go as a group.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Blackwolve, I'll take you and Raia, i'm Man enough for both of you. [ROFL] but if you need a date, i can find you one who will behave somewhat.
Raia
Member # 4700

*thwaps Stryker* Ahem! ONE is enough for you, thanks! [No No] As for finding one for blacwolve, I really think she's capable of finding a guy without your help, believe it or not! [Wink]

Anyway, blacwolve, I have faith in your boy-trapping abilities, even if Stryker doesn't! [Razz]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
JT and Raia, post pretty pictures! [Big Grin]

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

[Edit: I went as a junior with my cousin, who went to a different high school. He'd been dumped just before the dance, and we had a ball telling people "oh, we've know each other forever." [Big Grin] It was my only prom experience, and I remember almost none of it, except for the fact that Joe was very kind. It was a difficult time for him (he later came out as gay, and he came from a very very conservative family), but he was an attentive date and had the most wonderful smile.

Incidentally, this is the same cousin who died just at the time of the last WenchCon. We all remembered his smile. [Smile] ]

[ March 15, 2004, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Noah and Pixie live close to each other.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frameshifter
Member # 2967

- posted      Profile for Frameshifter           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you should go. (I could say more, but I won't (however you already have a date, so what exactly is preventing you from going? (the answer is nothing, other than some rationalization that you have come up with)))
Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

You two missed the most important part of that post. Let me refresh your memory:

quote:
I'm not even sure if my friends with boyfriends would want to go as a group.
That was the part you were supposed to respond to. I know which guy I'm going to ask.

*shakes head*

Sheesh people!

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Go to your Prom. If you're with friends, it'll be fun. Enjoy it while you can, some people don't get proms. *sniff* [Frown]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Blackwolve, your comming, i don't care if i have to come and drag you out of your house. You will be there and you will have fun. I cant speak for the whole group, but i'm sure your friends (myself included) will atleast make idle conversation with you at some point.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
With an offer like that, Blackwolve, how could you possibly refuse? Hauled off kicking and screaming AND idle conversation?

Evenings don't get any more fun!

(Can you hang up my coat? Why don't you go get us some drinks? Isn't this the best? *goes back to dancing)

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

LOL
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my prom story:

My senior year, there was a girl that I was trying to woo the entire year. She was my ride from marching band practice to the high school, so she had to spend time with me. If it weren't for that, I probably wouldn't have been able to spend five consecutive minutes with her.

I had been unsuccesful all year, but I asked her to prom anyway. It took her two weeks to say yes. I found out later that she had asked 2 or 3 other guys to prom during that time, including one freshman! Only after she struck out did she accept my invitation.

So we went to prom. We showed up together, and then she disappeared. I didn't see her the whole dance until it was time for me to take her home. My friends laughed and laughed.

Fortunately, by the time prom came around, I had finally come to my senses and realized that I wasn't interested in somebody that would treat me that way, and I was able to have a sense of humor about it. I didn't even want to go to prom with her, but I had asked, and she said yes. I was obligated. So I took her. And it sucked. [Smile]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
JT and Raia, post pretty pictures!
You bet! [Wink]

And blacwolve, YES, YOU ARE COMING. Need I reiterate? YES, YOU ARE COMING! There. And, btw, who are you going to ask? *just SUPER curious*

Notorious Shira
Member # 6089

- posted      Profile for Notorious Shira   Email Notorious Shira         Edit/Delete Post 
Prom, a testament by Shira

*ahem*

As adolescents...

no..that's not right...

As youth

no that's not right either...

As teenagers begin to find the attraction and fun possesed within the opposite sex or perhaps in the same sex for some people, new frontiers are discovered and the life that we formally knew deteriorates into oblivion. (notice how the fourteen year old is using rather big words)...Prom is a time of laughter, tears, happiness, joy and perhaps orgasms....

the last word is not essential to the full prom experience nor do I encourage attempting to obtain this certain something with another person during prom night (if you would like to obtain it with yourself BY ALL MEANS)...but all in all i believe Prom should be a wonderful night resembling something like a wedding day (just so i sound really really dumb). The woman is dressed up ever-so beautifully and at that particular instance..her date probably believes she is the most beautiful woman in the world (let's hope)...and so we skip the dumb ceremony and proceed to the food and dance and celebration...sounds like a good deal to me...so all you prom-goers go have fun...take the advice from a fourteen-year old when she says that love isn't forever but it is quite lovely to enjoy a wonderful night...

CoPyRiGhT MaRcH 20 2o03 WaHrMaN PuBlIsHiNg HoUsE
RiGhT BeFoRe TeA TiMe [Smile]

Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I think I'd rather leave you to guess. [Evil]
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

I know who Blackwolve is asking, and i'll reveal the secret to te highest bidder, do i hear 50$. [Evil Laugh]

[ March 21, 2004, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: J T Stryker ]

Notorious Shira
Member # 6089

- posted      Profile for Notorious Shira   Email Notorious Shira         Edit/Delete Post 
we're not all that dumb...i think i can guess on my own then give myself 50$
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I personally was forced to go by vicious ganging up of just about everyone but my sister
I have been personally ordered to go by just about everyone. *sigh*
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

*pat pats Teshi*
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

This is an excerpt from my friend Marty's new book. It tells the story of his prom night. ----Warning----His writing uses lots of foul language, etc. But it's also really funny stuff.

http://martybeckerman.com/whore.html

Raia
Member # 4700

[ROFL]

Noah, that was freaking hilarious. Thanks for that!

CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

[Big Grin] Yeah, his writing is awesome.

You should grab a copy of his new book. It's fairly cheap ($11.95), and it's definetely worth it. I've read his first book twice, and definetely plan on reading it again. It's just, so...funny!

Anyways, his website is www.martybeckerman.com
Easy enough to get a link to purchasing his book on amazon from that site.

Plus there's two more excerpts from his book on that site, under Archives.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Quick prom thoughts.

If you love your friends at school, will miss your school and have school spirit, by all means, go.

If you hated school, thought everyone that attended was a moron (besides yourself) and do not wish to be associated with your school at all, then don't go.

That's why I didn't go. [Big Grin]

(I didn't walk either. But, in my defense, my school stunk, and my parents lived out of state and wouldn't have been able to attend.)

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.