FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dragon Riders of Pern

Author Topic: Dragon Riders of Pern
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
I was hopeing someone could list the order the books take place chronlogicly wihtn in the story not the oreder they where written in.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Where's that rivka?
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
Love too but I read them in the order published and its been so long I couldn't remember without a bit of research.

If no one else has helped by tomorrow I'll try to work it out for you.

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dragonsdawn (1988)
Rescue Run (1991)
The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (1993)
The Dolphins' Bell (1993)
The Chronicles of Pern: Second Pass (1996)
Red Star Rising (1996) (called Dragon's Eye for US release)
Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern (1983)
Nerilka's Story (1986)
Masterharper of Pern (1998)
Dragonflight (1968, first novel written)
Dragonquest (1970)
Dragonsong (1976)
Dragonsinger:Harper of Pern (1977)
The White Dragon (1978)
Dragondrums (1979)
Renegades of Pern (1989)
All the Weyrs of Pern (1991)
The Skies of Pern (2001)

Chronology is inexact, as some books take place at the same time. For example, Dragonsong and Dragonsinger occupy roughly the same timeframe as Dragonquest.

From this link. Also this link could be of help -- more graphic explanation. I can't vouch for the accuracy of any of this, having read none of the books myself.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
It's missing the Dolphins of Pern
Here is the correct list

The First Pass:
DragonsDawn, 1988
The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall, 1993

The Second Pass:
Red Star Rising (UK), 1996; DragonsEye (USA), 1997

The Sixth Pass:
Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern, 1983
Nerilka's Story, 1986
The Ninth Pass:
Masterharper of Pern, 1998
DragonFlight (DR), 1969
DragonQuest (DR), 1971
DragonSong (HH), 1977
The White Dragon (DR), 1978
DragonSinger (HH), 1977
DragonDrums (HH), 1979
The Renegades of Pern, 1989
All the Weyrs of Pern, 1992
The Dolphins of Pern, 1994
The Skies of Pern, 2001

[ March 13, 2004, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I say the earlier books are the better ones. Specifically Dragonsong, Dragondrums and the White Dragon.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorites were the original six:

DragonFlight (DR), 1969
DragonQuest (DR), 1971
The White Dragon (DR), 1978

DragonSinger (HH), 1977
DragonSong (HH), 1977
DragonDrums (HH), 1979

I would suggest to read them in the order written, not the chronological order. I feel that the first six had much more depth, and I enjoyed filling in the blanks a little at a time. The way I see it is this. I "Lived" (novellically)in the time of Lessa and F'lar. The other books that happened sooner, chronologically, were history to me. The ones that happened later were as I aged. It might sound sort of bizarre, but there you have it.

[ March 13, 2004, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Elizabeth. At least read the first series to be published first.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Another reason is that, if you read the first book(chronological) you learn secrets you really don't want to know when you read "Dragonflight," etc.
Liz

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd advise staying away from the ones she's written recently...for the most part they're awful.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Amen, Human.

DragonSong chronologically happens before DragonSinger. DragonSinger and DragonQuest are in the same time frame as are DragonDrums and The White Dragon - just different perspectives. But definitely read them as trios: The HarperHall Trio and the DragonRiders Trio.

And then turn around and read DragonsDawn. But stop. Unless you're into the "Harlequin" moment and just need a way to tune out.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
I also read this whole series, but she's a terrible writer, I think. The first one I read was the first Harper Hall book, about Menolly, and her character is compelling, for some reason. There's also something fascinating about the relationship between people and fire lizards, and the telepathic link between the dragons and their riders. But truth to tell, I don't understand the appeal of these stories. I definitely kept reading, even as I said to myself "Wow, she's a very clumsy writer, these people don't seem real, I don't believe in this planet".

So bottom line, I'm thinking she must have made some pact with the devil to sell her books. [Smile]

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I loved the original six books, and I thought she was a fine writer. I believed the world and liked the characters. However, I agree that the others stink.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I found that the same thing happened with Darkover. The first two(I think) novels were great, and then they turned into drivel.
Liz

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Where's that rivka?
Rivka's not online on Shabbos (sundown Friday to full dark Saturday). Not that it looks like I was really needed, anyway. [Wink]

The only think I would add (except that I disagree strongly with those who disliked 'em [Smile] ) is that while Masterharper begins before the other Ninth Pass books, it spans the time frame of most of them, and should NOT be read before DF thru ATWoP -- it has some SERIOUS spoilers for the others.

I read 'em in publication order, and would recommend doing the same.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Rivka - I like them/own them all and lots more of her stuff.

After posting previously I was thinking in bed and also decided I would recommend reading them in publication order for the reason listed above - the later books explain things you wonder about in the earlier ones.

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Other than the first six Pern novels, my favorite Anne McCaffrey works are "Dinosaur Planet" and "Dinosaur Planet Survivors." I believe they are out of print.
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

- posted      Profile for Sarcasm           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree, Anne Kate. I read a lot of the Pern books, but by the time I got to The Dolphins of Pern, I realized that the writing wasn't that great and the story wasn't interesting. It's just one of those series where the author can just keep cranking 'em out for a couple decades and people will keep reading them.
Posts: 276 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.