FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite classic sci fi series

Author Topic: Favorite classic sci fi series
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I just bought at a decent price the entire epic collection of Battlestar Galactica. What is your favorite classic sci fi series?

I almost expect mostly Star Trek. ok. (liked the originals, but am not a trekkie)

[ March 13, 2004, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Stan the man ]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Star Trek - The Next Generation. (there, you happy now ? [Razz] )

The Outer Limits
Seaquest
Stargate
Millenium
X-Files

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Futurama.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
X-Files
Star Trek (the original)

and as for the short-lived series:
John Doe
VR-5

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The Martian Chronicles.
Love 'em still.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oops, did you mean tv or movies?
In that case, TNG.
Favorite episode: The one where Picard and an alien captain go down on a planet and speak in myth.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
corwin..yes happy. I was just saying I did expect most of what little replies my post will get will be Star Trek. No complaints.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

C'mon, Stan, it was just a joke [Roll Eyes] (the "you happy" part, I really liked StarTrek TNG !)

Btw, what are your favorites ?

And, well, now that I'm thinking, I don't know if The Outer Limits really qualifies as a series [Dont Know]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

Corwin, I figured you were.

Does Mystery Science Theatre 3000 count? Wait this is my thread...so yes.
One of my roommates is converting me into an SG1 fan.
Babylon5
V

Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Wait this is my thread...so yes.
[ROFL]

Stan, I figured you figured, but did you figure I figured you figured ? (And please keep the answer for yourself, or we'll go on like this all day and all night [Wink] )

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Probe was a great one, and lest we forget, Space:1999 was cool in its day. Also, Space:Above and Beyond was great.

My vote for favorite of all time, though:

Firefly

[ March 13, 2004, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Sopwith ]

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Bab 5 and STNG. I never get tired of watching those.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Classic??

Doctor Who started in 1963 - now that's classic!

As for the ST franchise - Deep Space Nine remains my favorite.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Doctor Who ROCKS.
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
I go with Sliders not what I would consider clasic old but then I wouldn't put X-files or Deep Space Nine in the claic catagory so what they hay my vote is Slider.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Babylon 5. Nothing else comes close.

Best. TV. Ever.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hooked on the Lost in Space first season DVD set that just came out in January. Yeah it's way stupid, but that's what I need at the end of the day. Dr. Smith gets some pretty good lines.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it counts as classic but I like Stargate sg-1. And I can't wait to see Stargate atlantis.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
What is Stargate Atlantis. I've watched some SG-1 but missed to many seasons to know whats going on so this sounds interesting.

[ March 13, 2004, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: The Wiggin ]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

Here You can find some information on it in the news section, you can also find alot of information on stargate sg-1.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snuffles
Member # 4332

- posted      Profile for Snuffles   Email Snuffles         Edit/Delete Post 
::bites Stargate::

Farscape was at least twice as good.

grrrr!

Posts: 72 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

Doctor Who....yeah I remember watchin an episode of that. Good too.

and Corwin. no it won't go on all day and night. If I ever get sleepy I will go to bed and report to the boat for duty at 0630. Ahhhhh sleep is over rated anyway. so I figured who figured you figured i figured go figure. [Smile]

MEC
Member # 2968

I never really understood farscape, it seemed like a show where you'd have to watch each and every episode in sequential order to understand anything.
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Red Dwarf.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Stan, I went figure, but I realized... I'm not a number ! [Razz]
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Who
Babylon 5

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm too much of a sci fi fan to pick one so I'm going to go with Blake's 7 since no one mentioned it yet.

"You'll have to forgive Avon. Under that cold exterior beats a heart of pure stone."

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Star Cops as long as we're bringing up BBC.

Oh, yeah. That "Doctor" fellah....

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Blakes 7
STNG
Red Dwarf
Dr. Who

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
War of the Worlds
Buck Rogers
X-Files
Sliders
Quantum Leap (Does that count as Sci-fi?)

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
I found myself wondering today, as I perused a friend's DVD collection and noticed the "Martian Chronicles" on the bookshelf whether that series was available. I remember enjoying it as a kid (all intellectual/weirdo/trippy).
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Babylon 5 is the best tv show ever!

For really classic: My favorite is the original Star Trek, nothing can beat Spock!

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Stargate
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, thanks for making me think about this. I remember when Probe first came on. I was probably 11 or 12 years old. I saw an ad for the pilot, but it didn't look very interesting and I didn't plan on seeing it. When it came on, I decided to watch a bit of the beginning. I was completely hooked. I saw the whole episode and was blown away. My weeks began revolving around the show. I was unbelievably upset when they cancelled it. I wanted more. So, having heard Asimov's name associated with it, I went to the library to find one of his books. There were a good lot of them, and at random I selected a book called Foundation. It wasn't anything like Probe, but I don't need to tell you that it was brilliant. I've been a sci-fi addict ever since, and it's all thanks to that show. In fact, since I started reading OSC as a part of the same infatuation, I probably wouldn't be here now otherwise.

I know they'll never release it on DVD, but for the last 15+ years I've hoped that I might be able to see it again. After being reminded of it by this thread, I did another search and came one step closer to my goal. I found a site that has an episode guide, and someone had linked scripts for the last two episodes. I read them and had the pleasant sensation of not being disappointed by something from my childhood. Of the two scripts, I found this one to be the better episode. The other one was good too, though. There are pictures, plot summaries and quotes from the other episodes. It had such potential. Why must the good series always be cancelled?

Here are a few of my favorite lines from the site:
quote:

Mickey: I thought you never lied.

Austin: I don't. It's just that sometimes I withold the qualifiers.

Mickey: For someone who says facts are all that count in this world..., you're the most deceitful person I know.

Austin: I once determined there are 49 different ways for a human being to misrepresent the truth. I only use six. That's way below the national average of 32.

quote:
Mickey: There you go. Reducing everything to numbers again. I suppose when you see a beautiful sunset or fall in love you can't wait to write it down in an equation. I take that back. I'm sure falling in love is not on your list of scientific priorities.

Austin: I spent ten years designing a prosthetic device so that people without legs could walk. Maybe you and I just don't have the same definition of love.

Anyway, thanks for opening this thread and getting me in touch with my proverbial inner child. It's been fun.

[ March 15, 2004, 04:36 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
the original star trek would be a great series but the tribbles ruined the whole thing.

Babylon 5 was great, went down hill at the end
Star trek: TNG was mostly good.
Stargate was good at the begining
Sliders was good.
X-Files was great

Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Like sndrake:

Dr. Who (especially the Tom Baker years in my case)
DS9

The other day I checked "Unearthly Child", the Dr. Who pilot, out from the library. My god it was boring. I'm stunned that it wasn't cancelled then and there.

I can't wait until the new Dr. Who comes out. When are they saying? 2005?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

I thought sliders was good for the first few seasons, but when they decided to kill off everyone but remmy it went downhill.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't very long-lived, but I kinda liked Automan. *smile* Also enjoyed several others that have been mentioned, but only the really old-school stuff. Most recent sci-fi series that I've liked is Quantum Leap, which isn't all that recent.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop,

I never watched Quantum Leap when it was current. I got hooked later on the reruns.

Of all the series I've ever watched, I think Quantum Leap managed the most powerful conclusion of a series - ever.

"Sam Beckett never returned home."

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.