FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good Musicals (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Good Musicals
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh sheesh, I can't remember the name... was it Nunsense? It's got a song that goes like,

"We've got to clean out
The freezer by tomorrow morning
Cuz the Jersey board of health has sent the
Final warning."

Given all the replies on the Buffy thread I'm surprised nobody has suggested the Buffy musical episode. Or Xena or whatever other show did a musical episode.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it hardly seemed fair to compare common musicals with something as amazing as the Buffy musical episode...
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Dagonee is much braver than I am!

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, but possibly equally tetched in the head. We were discussing good musicals, neh?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka,

and your point is...?

*sndrake, proving he, too, can be brave.*

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, I hafta have a point??

Man, that's going to be a LOT of posts to edit! [Angst]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents are big Lloyd Webber fans, and I loved "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" so "Cats" was a hit with the whole family. I also like:
Les Miserables (of course)
Fiddler on the Roof
Tommy (not perhaps strictly a musical but hey)
Grease (both movie and stage versions)
Starlight Express (not that keen on the music but the roller skates rock!)
Bombay Dreams
Into the Woods

and movies:
The Full Monty
Oliver
Evita (Antonio Banderas as Che is wonderful, Madonna much less so, I thought)
Chicago
My Fair Lady (oh and our school production of it rocked too)

I haven't seen, but like the songs from:
Phantom
Blood Brothers (is this a Brit thing, no one's mentioned it?)
Miss Saigon
and odd songs from A little Night Music, Cabaret and others - my housemate Lizzie is very into musicals so I know a lot of odd songs (all the ones she plays and sings regularly) without knowing the full musical.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
amira, Blood Brothers is *very* British, and pretty obscure in even the theatre community. So, yes, that's probably why no one's mentioned it!

and Alicia, the musical you're thinking of with the leprechaun is Finian's Rainbow. "How are things in Glocca Morra...."

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dreamwalker
Member # 4189

- posted      Profile for Dreamwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
The Rocky Horror Picture Show Must see it.
It's espically for or the sci-fi geeks out there.
It was almost a cult show here for years with people going to a midnight performance dressed as there favorite characters [Blushing]
I think you can get it on video...

Posts: 141 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorites are Phantom, Guys and Dolls, Oklahoma, Music Man and Caberet. Cinderella's ok.

If you ever have a chance to see Carnival, run away very quickly.

Ni!

[ March 16, 2004, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: knightswhosayni! ]

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alicia
Member # 537

- posted      Profile for alicia           Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody remembers the leprechaun musical? AAAugh! I've been thinking all day and I do remember some of the music...
"Look, Look, Look to the Rainbow"
and "That old devil moon in your eyes..."

Help!

Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not thinking about Finnigan's Rainbow, are you? Was that even a musical?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
*knock knock*

Who's There?

the answer to your question --that was given earlier on this page.

oh.

quote:
and Alicia, the musical you're thinking of with the leprechaun is Finian's Rainbow. "How are things in Glocca Morra...."
BtL, you're combining Finian's Rainbow and Finnigan's Wake -- the latter is decidedly NOT a musical with a leprechaun
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

*bows to Leonide, the undisputed Mistress of Musicals*
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Finian's Rainbow was silly and kind of weird, but it wasn't very good. On the other hand, it was the first Fred Astaire movie I ever saw.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gosh! I forgot Les Animales and Monorail !
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot another of my favorites.

Paint Your Wagon.

It's amazing. It's got everything. Mormon polygamists. Cowboys (sort of). Fighting. The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. And best of all, it's got Clint Eastwood singing a solo. ("I talk to the trees")

Okay, so it's also really cheesy. The Simpsons had a real point when they did a spoof of it. But it's still one of the greatest movie musicals ever. Seriously.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alicia
Member # 537

- posted      Profile for alicia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yea guys... Finians Rainbow. Thank you! I knew you would help me. You are right tho, the movie was really dumb, but I saw a live production and it was so well done that I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.