FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » SAVANNAH, GA Hatrack Picnic - Wanna come?

Author Topic: SAVANNAH, GA Hatrack Picnic - Wanna come?
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so here's the deal. I go to school in Savannah, and will be graduating - and moving away - at the end of May. And I figured that Historic Savannah would be such a fun place to hold a hatrack picnic - right in the middle of Forsyth Park, especially.

And Spring time is such a wonderful time of the year, and my class schedule is going to actually be relatively light, and VERY flexible.

My main cohort in this affair is the Elusive Ben (as seen at WenchCon), and we've come to think that April 23-24 would be a good time to do so. Apart from the lovely vistas of Historic Savannah, it is also within very close driving range of Tybee Island, a beach that is simply glorious to walk down, hang out at, and simply frolic about on a warm, clear night with a starry sky - all of which we'll hopefully have those days.

Plus, we can hold a Real Life Scrabble Tourney, and for those who can stay through the next morning, perhaps go out to Breakfast at one of Savannah's famous local eateries.

Plus, Ben also has some Aaron Sorkin DVDs he'd like to screen, time permitting - and perhaps as a fallback if the weather happens to decide to just plain suck.

And I'm not sure what films will be out then, but I would never pass down a chance for another Theater going experience with a crew of Jatraqueros! It can't be beat. WenchCon spoiled me in those regards.

So yeah - if you're in the area - or even if you're not and would like to come and hang out anyway - let us know!

and also if you have any other suggestions as to what you'd like to do at such a gathering. Just lookin' for some good food, fun, and fellowship with some of the area Jatraqueros in Savannah before I leave the South, perhaps for good.

So who's up for it? [Cool]

[ March 14, 2004, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
So shall we call this TaalCon?
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Mabus, I can't even tell you how much I wish I had thought of that.

[Hail] Mabus

Great idea. I'll come, I think - thanks for the invite. [Wink]

[ March 15, 2004, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
I may or may not be in the country then, but if I am I will certainly want to come! How far a drive is Savannah from Birmingham? Around 7 hours, maybe? Maybe I'll fly instead. [Smile]
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Plain Jane
Member # 6142

- posted      Profile for Plain Jane   Email Plain Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you already know I'd love to be there if I can make it work, but I just thought I'd state so for the record.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I so wish I could make it. But I'm going to be visiting Jeni, Becky, Bernard, Mayday and Ken the first week of April. And I'm am trying to figure out how to get to KamaCon. TaalCon (I love it!) just isn't feasible...
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

[Big Grin] for the people who can come!

[Frown] for the people who can't.

[The Wave]
For the people considering it.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

You would have chosen the last day of classes/first day of finals. Grrrrr.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Ophelia, I'm sure you'll get another chance to see Ben in the near future.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

[ROFL]

..I mean, of course...

[Frown] Are finals that important? [Frown]

[ March 15, 2004, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I so wish I would have flown in a little earlier, just for that episode...

[ March 15, 2004, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: Zevlag ]

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could be there...but I'll be at the AZ Bunching! YAY!
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to come.

Just remember, I'm older than I look.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
me too. im really 37.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
And yet you were in grade school with mack? Wow, you must've been held back a bunch of times!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

He may have been held back and HIT a few times...by Mack.
Taalcon
Member # 839

*bumps*

Anyone else interested? Post here even if you're considering it. We need numbers!

Rahl22
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering. We'll see.
Posts: 154 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
If I can persuade my Social Planner... Maybe?
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Bumpty bumpty bump.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
The dates you mentioned, April 23 and 24, are a Friday and a Saturday. So, my question is, what are the exact plans, and would it involve driving during the period from Friday sunset to Saturday sundown?

::am considering the possibility of coming::

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*buries face in hands* Taal, don't kill me, but I'm not sure I can. I have to find out about something.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! How many of you guys actually live in Savannah? It's not fair...we have no other Hatrackers in Tucson besides me...they're all off in Phoenix and Chandler.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Well, Ela, the final plans would have a lot to do with who and how many people are comig [Wink] I know that's a bit of a catch-22 answer.

The Thursday before is just as good for me as well, not sure how it is for others. I only have one class this quarter, and it meetss on Monday & Wednesday. If the Thursday and Friday would be just as good for everyone considering coming, than I would be more than willing to change it to then.

Historic Savannah IN GENERAL is filled with so many squares and pretty vistas, and hotels and restaurants all within walking distance. One thing I DID want to do, however, was to have an evening on the Beach as well, after dark, weather permitting. But, that is definitely NOT within walking distance. So I can see that being a conflict if you and your family were to come, unless that were done on a THURSDAY night.

Basically I'm just trying to find who'd be willing to come, and what they'd like to do. Savannah's such a nice place, that I tought it would be a great place for people who either lived close, or jsut happened to be in the area. It'd be fun with 3 people or 10 people. But I'd need to know how many people planned to come for how long before we could totally decide what we'd do. I gave some sugestions above, but they were just that - sugestions.

I don't view it as being a fully organized 'event/con' like WenchCon, rather just a time for people who wanted to to hang out. In my mind, doing this is sort of like a graduation gift for me from me. While soon I'll be in the vicinity for North Eastern get-togethers, this may be my last opportunity for a South-Eastern one. And there's so many great SEers (and beyond)!

So basically, everything's flexible until we come closer to the date and I have close to confirmed who all is going to be there. Then we can really start finalizing options.

Either way, even if one were to just drop by for a few hours, it would be appreciated! [Wink]

So yeah. People who would be interested, take a look at your calendars and see what you think. I think a 3-day-event would be a bit of an overkill, So I'm looking for generally 2 day blocks, of either Thursday/Friday, or Friday/Saturday. Heck, even Saturday/Sunday is good, actually.

So what would be the best 2-day blocks between April 22-25? I haven't even checked with Ben yet on these extended 'probable' days yet, so this may be fixe later. But until then, let me know!

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Hey, Taal, there is a picture in Foobonic of me in front of that fountain. [Smile] I can't find the original one, though...the one that actually lets you see the park behind me.
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
oh heavens i simply LOVE savannah and tybee island.
if only you could have another one in the summer when i can probably come back out there to visit family.
the breeze on the river front is so lovely in the evening, and the city squares are gorgeous.
swimming on the coast of georgia is great.
oh please still be there when i come back to visit!

and hey, my brother went to scad for awhile.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Plus if we do run out of things to do, we DO have a Super WalMart... [Evil]

[ March 19, 2004, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Really, since when? Is it on Abercorn Ext?
Taalcon
Member # 839

It's actually on the same exit as the Savannah/Hilton Head airport, right off of 95. It's still technically Savannah [Wink]
Taalcon
Member # 839

Just talked to Ben.

Heck, anytime that week to the end of April would be good. I was just trying to narrow down - and May is TOTALLY out of the question.

So if you think anytime between April 22-30 would be good, please post what the BEST two days in that period would be for you, and what else is POSSIBLE for you. Then we can narrow from there. I want this to work for the best!

Plain Jane
Member # 6142

- posted      Profile for Plain Jane   Email Plain Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Thursday will definately not work for me, but any other dates over that time span and there's a fair chance that I'll be able to make it. *crosses fingers*
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
That last weekend in April *might* work for me. I have much to do and it's a bit of a drive, but it's not out of the question. My flexibility is very limited, so don't plan anything around me.
Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to come, but I can only make it if it's on the weekend, what with classes and all.

Last time I was in Savannah it was on Saint Patricks Day 2003, it was.....quite loud and crowded.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could come, but I CAN'T! [Frown]

And APOSTLERADIO! Where have you been!? *tackle hugs*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

I've been working. A lot. All the time. But nice to see you girly. I'll try to come around a couple time in the near future. No guarantees though.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

Sooo.....

Is this still happening?

--ApostleRadio

katharina
Member # 827

Dave's internet is off wandering right now so he's not on, but yes, I think it is.
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
And I'm not sure what films will be out then, but I would never pass down a chance for another Theater going experience with a crew of Jatraqueros!
Ladykillers?
prolixshore
Member # 4496

I wanted to see that.

--Apostleradio

katharina
Member # 827

Are you coming, then?
prolixshore
Member # 4496

If it's that weekend, then yes I'm coming. Pretty much any other time I wouldn't be able to make it.

--ApostleRadio

Taalcon
Member # 839

*chases after his internet with a butterfly net*

GOTCHA!

Okay..hmm. Now.

A slight problem has come up, in what I have come to call 'Dave Luck'.

I've taken a hiatus from work for a while in order to concentrate on my classwork, and now since I have more time, and MUCH less money, that going back to work would be a good idea. Fortunately, just as I was thinking that, my Boss called, asking me to come back. I said sure, as long as I got that week off.

Sure, sure, she said - except for the 24th.

Why the 24th, I asked?

Inventory. Of which I've always found some way to get out of. This time - I can't afford to. And it's all day (and probably well into the night) of April 24th.

[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

any other weekend - I can probably get out of. Just...not that one. The one I had ALREADY tried and made plans for.

Did I mention [Wall Bash] ?

So if anyone is still at ALL interested, or able, for any other time, please let me know.

Arrrrg.

[Wall Bash]

katharina
Member # 827

No TaalCon?

TaalCon without Taal just wouldn't be the same. That's like KamaCon without Kama. Jatraquon without the hat.

[Frown]

Edit: spelling

[ March 30, 2004, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

prolixshore
Member # 4496

darn, like i said, thats the only time i could have made it. well it was fun while it lasted.

sorry taal

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.