FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sad day in Czech and Slovak history

Author Topic: Sad day in Czech and Slovak history
Tzadik
Member # 5825

- posted      Profile for Tzadik   Email Tzadik         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't help it but think of 14-15 March 1939. Those were one of the dakest days in what used to be Czechoslovakia's history. On 14 March 1939 Slovakia proclaimed independence - 'secession' from Czechoslovakia took place and Slovakia became Hitler's ally in central Europe. Then on 15 March 1939 Hitler's troops entered what was left of Czechoslovakia (nowdays Czech Rep.) and took it over. This wonderful land became Hitler's colony. The rest of the world did nothing. Just as they did nothing in October 1938 when in Munich, Germany, Hitler "persuaded" leaders of France and Great Britain that they can sacrifice Czechoslovakia's borders where german and hungarian minority lived. The treaties of Versailles and Trianon were torn apart by Munich's meeting, so what happened on 14 and 15 March 1939 was just logical step. Nothing stopped Hitler, not even the treaties that young democracy has concluded with other European leading nations. Guess what happened next - 1 September 1939 and Hitler marched into Poland. He took Austria, Czechoslovakia and then Poland. And only after that the nationes decided to act.

As I said - today is a sad day for us here. We lost our independence 65 years ago. And then again in 1948 with communist getting to power and in 1968 when Soviet tanks rolled into Czechoslovakia.

Couldn't resist, needed to vent. Thanks for reading.

OK, I know, spelling sucks, sorry [Smile]

[ March 15, 2004, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Tzadik ]

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
History is often viewed from only the perspective of ones own country. We in the US often know more about the history of China or the moon than we do about the Balkans, Eastern Europe, or South America or so many places on this planet we forget about.

It was nice to see this pivotal moment in modern history through your eyes.

Yes, it was a sad day.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that Grandpa moved here right before that.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tzadik
Member # 5825

PSI - there were more 'exoduses' from Czechoslovakia. First in 20's and 30's - Great Depression, Second - WW2, Third - 1948 and 50's when communist got to power, Fourth 1968 and 70's - harsh persecution of those against communist regime. Our history is full of ups and downs.

Dan - you are welcome

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what, I can't be right about grandpa because he told us that he lived here during the Depression...he must have come before that.

edit: You know what else? I'm a terrible typist.

[ March 15, 2004, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
in 1968 when Soviet tanks rolled into Czechoslovakia
I wasn't even alive then, but I can't help feeling ashamed. These were also the Polish tanks, and the Polish soldiers. My mom remembers seeing the endless row of tanks
driving through the streets.
[Frown]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Threads like this make me stop and think how lucky I am. Tanks have never rolled through my streets.

To a better world for everyone!

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
The Czechs, after decades of repression elect as their first premiere a playwright. What a beautiful and wondrous people they are!
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tzadik
Member # 5825

Kama, you are right, it was almost the entire Soviet block who invaded our country in 1968 - armies of East Germany, Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria and Soviet Union. Truth is - we didn't stand a chance, even if we tried to fight. I think the good thing was that we didn't fight. That would be a real bloodbath. So many times I wondered, what would have happened if they didn't come? What would have happened if democracy would prevail in 1948?

We both know that in early 1980's the same was so real for Poland, except that Soviets knew better and didn't invade your country. Thank goodness for that!

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
There are still discussions whether the introduction of the martial law was necessary. Some claim it was a treason to the Polish nation. However, were it not introduced, the Soviet troops would most probably enter and bloodshed would be inevitable.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm saddened with you, Tzadik, although I can never understand just what it means to you. [Frown]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.