FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who has DSL?

Author Topic: Who has DSL?
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
We have cable-modem, but we were thinking of switching. Can someone tell me the benefits of one over the other?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Does your cable modem work?

In that case, it's better than my DSL, which is currently sulking.

I hate it when I get equipment that is bleeding edge. Bleeding edge = does not work

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Who
Member # 5292

- posted      Profile for Who   Email Who         Edit/Delete Post 
DSL depends mostly on how close you are to a DSL station. The further you are away from one, the slower it is.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't just have DSL, I am DSL.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I pondered this dobi and decided against it. Glad you picked up the banner, Papa Moose =)
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Cable is generally faster, but for me DSL was the way to go. The physical cable in my apartment complex is crap, and while the phone lines really aren't that much better, the DSL service has been much more reliable.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I have dsl b/c it meant only 1 bill a month. I believe that cable modem depends upon how many other people are on the line with you. *shrug*

Honestly both have been fast enough for my purposes.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Cable gets slower as more people share your connection to the service provider (i.e., the higher the density of folks with cable internet through the same provider near you, the slower your service will be).

DSL gets slower the further you get from the provider.

They also sometimes have different bandwidth caps and whatnot, but all things being equal, it depends on where you are in relation to the ISP and how many other subscribers there are.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
DSL is capable of outperforming cable, but usually does not.

Equal reliability, depending on the particular location you are in.

Really, I always figure its a toss up, unless there are mitigating factors one way or the other.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm jealous of my brother in Phoenix, where QWest offers VDSL. I think he was getting 1 Mbps.

I'll continue to limp along with dial-up until they get this Utopia fiberoptic network in. Fiber to the curb! Yeah!

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.