FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Introducing Marlowe Marx

Author Topic: Introducing Marlowe Marx
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, Andrew and I adopted a new dog!

He's a 2-year-old male Shih Tzu we named Marlowe. Reggie, our 8-year-old Lhaso Apso/Bulldog mix, is being very nice. This is a pleasant surprise for us, as Reggie is usually a big jerk to other dogs and is very spoiled. He only "yelled" at Marlowe when Marlowe collided with him while chasing after his ball. It's so adorable to see them play together and Marlowe will help Reggie to be more active.

Marlowe was found at the dump and taken to a shelter. Yesterday would have been his last day on earth if we hadn't taken him. I cannot understand how anyone could have abandoned him, because he is clearly a purebred dog and is housebroken and knows commands. He is insanely cute and very sweet. Unfortunately, he's a garbage eater, but we'll work on that.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kira_marx/album?.dir=/fc5b

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

He's also heartworm-free, neutered, and up-to-date on shots. We're taking him to our vet to get checked out, just in case.

Sleeping with a 6 feet 5 inches, 240 pound husband and two dogs in a queen-sized bed is less than ideal, though.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Great looking dogs!

Your husband is really that big? Doesn't look like it in the photo.

Dogs are wonderful!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great Mrs. M! I'm really happy for you. I need a dog too...I can't wait til we're making enough money to invest in one. Have fun!
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
OKay, jatraqueros, join me in a collective

Awwwwwww!

Congrats, Mrs. M. He's a sweetie. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sleeping with a 6 feet 5 inches, 240 pound husband and two dogs in a queen-sized bed is less than ideal, though.
That sucks that Andrew's going to be sleeping on the couch now.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how you guys slept in that bed before that. My hubby is 6'4" and he has to sleep diagonally in any bed other than Kings. Which is ALOT of fun for me. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

FG, he is indeed a gentle giant. You can't really see it in those pictures, but check out some of the other albums. Ironing his clothes takes forever. [Roll Eyes]

PSI, he sleeps curled up on his side. We're trying to wait until we move to get a new bed, but we might have to cave and get a king before that.

lol, zgator.

BTW, all of them snore!

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
awww. He's adorable! I would reccommend bitter apple spray (you can get it at petsmart), tobasco sauce or even straight capsin oil to discourage the garbage eating.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes Mrs. M, been meaning to ask you, any ideas on yellow sundresses that could be used as bridesmaid dresses?

My best friend is getting married in Tucson in July. They are having it outdoors at 8 am but it is still going to be hot. Isn't going to be horribly formal but she'd like the dresses to be pretty. And she wants purple flowers. I was thinking I might be able to get away with not fake tanning if it is a butter yellow.

all ideas would be appreciated it... we can start another thread if you would like.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

AJ, I love the idea of you in a gorgeous yellow-flowered sundress that shows off your shoulders and arms. Buttercup yellow and purple is a great combination.

My first thought is Lilly Pulitzer. The advantage is that you can get the same pattern on different dresses so that every bridesmaid can get one that flatters her figure.

http://www.lillypulitzer.com/spring2004/collection/gallery_1.html

Dresses that I'd recommend for you are Brett, Anna, Sabrina, Colette, Carla, or Lena.

J Crew also has some pretty dresses this season, but I don't know if they carry them in yellow.

http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/category.jhtml?id=cat56906&viewAll=true&navAction=jump

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Also, we've discovered that Marlowe knows how to open doors and get around the makeshift gate we put at the top of the stairs. He's so smart!
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on your new family member! They are adorable! [Smile]
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the facial expression in the last picture--his eyes are HUGE!

What kind of doors does he open? Refrigerator? [Eek!]

It will be interesting to see the relationship that develops between your two dogs. (When we got dog #2 [also a shelter dog, by the way] as a companion for our chocolate lab, they had a "dominance battle" for a day or so. It really had us worried that they wouldn't get along. #2 dog was acting all aggressive, snarling and snapping. Fortunately, #1 Dog, who is larger, older and wiser, did not get aggressive back. Instead, she administered a very effective wolf-pack discipline--complete and utter shunning. After half a day of being ostracized, #2 decided to mend her ways, and they are now extremely close, like an older-sister/younger-sister relationship. They will even share food from the same dish. Dog #1 is technically the dominant dog, but she doesn't exert authority by force except in matters of who's riding shotgun in the car. Also, pig ears.)

[ March 16, 2004, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool. I don't much care for Shih Tzus, except for using them as obscene puns, but any dog with a safe home is a good thing.

Poor Abby had to get spayed today, though... [Frown]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

*glad that there are others willing to admit buying a larger bed for the sake of the dogs*. My spouse and I are both under 5'6, but we had to get a queen when Mishka the Wonder Lab reached her adult size.

Mishka insists on sleeping at the foot of the bed, UNDER the covers. I have no idea how on earth she can breathe under all those blankets.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

What kind of dog is Abby? And what happened to her?
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice.

May I suggest getting him micro-chipped. It will help if such a curious and intelligent dog finds his way out of the house.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.