FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Teacher's Story

Author Topic: A Teacher's Story
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, folks. Some months ago, I started posting here. It was all nice and people were wonderfull, so I figured it would be a nice forum to chat and meet new friends. I even tried to begin an online D&D game with some hatrackers.
Unfortunatelly, real life caused me some trouble, and for the first time in 18 years (I'm 27) I was a computerless guy. It took me this long to get a new one.
These months were interesting. As a teacher, I learned many things. I was teaching at an University here in Rio de Janeiro. A private one (the best Universities in Brazil are public ones, not private). Well...after I got my Doctorate they simply laid me off, because they would have to give me a raise (brazilian law requires it). So, they hired one of my students who just graduated (and he's earning half I earnt).
Now I have a job again. I'm not teaching at an University, but in Rio de Janeiro's fabled "favelas" (slums). The city government hired some teachers to go there and help the destitute to get at least an elementary certificate. We teach in tiny churches, we teach in people's houses. We even teach outside, with the sky above us!
It's been quite an experience, you know...I never saw a drug dealer before. Now I see armed ones every single day! Two days ago I greeted one of my students (he's 15) and he had a .45 gun in his hands. He went to class and kept it with him. Yesterday, some people were using my car's surface to split cocaine with a razor blade. Well...I was a bit shaken as I went to then and said "excuse me, I teach over there, in the relief association building. I'm going home now, so could you move along please"? Surprisingly, they did, and one of them said: "Sorry, teacher! We thought the car belonget to some addicted who came here to grab a pound. You can park here whenever you want. Nobody will even touch your car!"
It's interesting...those drug dealers are very dangerous people. They walk the streets with Ak-47 and M16 guns, battle the police using hand granades and are known to be really bloodthirsty. Still, they show a lot of respect for me and my colleagues, and do not cause any problems to the classes (they even warn us when the police is coming, so we can get out and not be caught in the shooting).
But what really warms me to the job (and this is a job who needs it!) are the people who come to learn! They are very eager to improve their lot, and are really amazed the government sent "real", graduated teachers to teach them. They already invited me to birthday parties, weddings, "churrascos" (barbecues - meat is cheap here. Sometimes, though, cats and dogs suffer when they decide to have a barbecue). The hospitality is amazing! We are offered tons of food everyday! If I do not control myself, I'll be really fat soon. :-)
The students work a lot harder to learn than most of my former college students. It's amazing...they work 8, some times 10 or 12 hours a day and come to learn at night, and still they seem to be very happy to actually be there.
Well, guys...I graduated some 6 years ago. For the first time in my life, I'm feeling like my job is and important one. Even if I get another job (in two months, I guess), I'll try to keep on teaching in the "favelas". I'm still afraid. Everyday, though, the fear gets a little smaller. If these hard-working people can live there all their lives, why can't I teach there for mere 3 hours a day?
Oh, yes! Guess I'll manage to be around, again! :-)

Greetings to you all from sunny Rio de Janeiro!

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

::applauds::

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*cheers* Eduardo, you are a hero in my book!
(and probably even the Book of Bob)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad you've been able to get a job that you love, it sounds...oddly wonderful actually. What do you teach?
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
That is *so* cool. I'm so glad you shared your story. And I'm tempted to print it out for my son. [Smile]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
That was really stinking cool.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
What a post, what a life. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
BYu, I teach Portuguese Language and Literature.

By the way...oh, thanks, people. I only wrote the post to justify myself for being away. I never thought womeone would thinks it was heroic or something like that. It's a very nice (and very NOT boring) job, but it's just the kind of thing you do everyday. I don't think I have a lot of courage. To tell you all the truth.I was SCARED the first day. I mean...I wanted to phone my mom and tell her what I was getting into, so she would dissuade me.
Now I'm not that scared, but some things I see really give me the chills. But what I said in the end is true: people really, really, really nead this project to succeed.

Well...that's it. Até mais!

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you mail me one of those AK47's?
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about Brazil, but I've always wanted to go visit Columbia, ever since I read the book Gaviotas: A Village to Reinvent the World. However, I hear they don't even let people in there now to visit because the drug cartels have made it too dangerous.

Eduardo, I really think you ought to start recording your daily adventures trying to teach in that environment. And make them into a book. I think it would be a fabulous read -- something so many of us here in USA would have a hard time fathoming.

Farmgirl

[ March 19, 2004, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to hear from you again. I wondered where you disappeared to.

I love FG's idea about a diary or book. Just don't write it while at the class rooms. Your friendly respectful drug dealers may get the wrong idea.

I do applaude what you are doing.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

Ok, I'll stop complaining about the niggling annoyances of going back to teaching where I was last year. I sure never had to deal with armed students! [Eek!]

Eduardo, welcome back to the 'Rack. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
Eduardo- very cool. I have actually had some of the same experiences you discussed during my time in Brazil. When I was a missionary the people who were most likely to listen to our discussions were the poor. That meant that we spent a lot of time in the favelas or in the developing neighborhoods on the outskirts of town. I found that the poor people were always the most willing to share what they had- food, time etc. Though many of the people who live in the favelas are very dangerous, they also seem to respect those who are trying to help them or their neighbors out.
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my day is officially made. Hooray for good teachers.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Very touching.

Keep up the good work!

(((Alias )))

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
One of those things that makes me smile just to know about. Fantastic job to have, beautiful work you are doing. Thanks!
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Eduardo...That's so great; you're doing something that is really important.

May I share your story with a friend of mine, my mentor from when I was at university? She lived in Brazil for several years, loves the country, and would be very interested in your post.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's an amazing story! Thank you for sharing it with us... you've inspired me to try harder. [Smile]

[Hat]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
Eduardo - thanks for sharing your story. It really helps me realise how much I take for granted in my life - the things I see as normal which would be huge luxuries to others. Shows me how much I have to thank the Lord for.

I'm not surprised you were afraid - I would have been petrified if I'd even had the courage to go in the first place.

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always so jealous of people who seem to have found a passion, or at least something that makes then happy.

Congrats, I hope it's as fullfilling at the end as it is now.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
It was the same with me Jacare. I wasn't in a HUGE city, so the favelas weren't as expansive, but even the little towns have their own.

I'm glad you're back on the board Eduardo and I'm glad you told us that story. Oddly, it made me really miss Brazil and the people and the CAKE and food and churrascos and the little kids and our english classes that we taught out of the church. *sigh*

I'm jealous, but I'm really glad you have such a wonderful and worthy occupation. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to have you back Eduardo - thanks for sharing, too.
Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that was so cool! It makes me feel less afraid about going to Iraq. I was thinking the other day that if thousands of little kids who are Iraqis have to live there, then why should I feel I'm not up to it? I'm just not going to be afraid. I'm sure it will be the greatest experience of my life. Your story inspires me. [Smile]
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Do please keep posting your experiences - it helps keep the trivia in perspective!

[Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Eduardo, that's awesome!

Mind you, I have an automatic grudge against you... you live in Rio de Janeiro, and you lead a thrilling life. But I think I might find it in my heart to forgive you. [Wink]

Thanks for sharing, and welcome back! [Wave]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Raia, no need to be jealous. You are going to be living in Israel. Doesn't that excite you just a little bit?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Hello, people. Thanks for all the kind words. I did not think you all would find my job so interesting.
I guess I can post some updates, no problem.
Oh, yes...I don't want you to think Rio is a huge "favela". It is a very large and beautiful city

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Eduardo, you rock! I am honored to share the same profession with you. [Wave]
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
Oh Raia, no need to be jealous. You are going to be living in Israel. Doesn't that excite you just a little bit?
Well, yeah. But Rio de Janeiro!?

It doesn't get much better. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karen.elizabeth
Member # 6345

- posted      Profile for karen.elizabeth   Email karen.elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! You are so awesome. You're definitely a very hard-working and talented person -- not a lot of people would be able to work in the conditions you describe. You have my respect and admiration.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

You asked for updates...here is the first. It's not a very happy note, unfortunately.

Well...it was bound to happen any day. Still, it boggles the mind. I survived my first shooting, tonight.
There I was, teaching about nouns in Portuguese, when suddenly there came the noise. It’s kinda funny, because the actual shooting noise is not like what you hear in the movies at all. It’s almost strangely low key. One of the bullets shattered a window, and we all throwed ourselves to the ground. I hid myself beneath the teacher’s table.
Now, I don’t remember feeling afraid. It was not courage, or anything like that. It just seemed to be so unreal…like it was someone else there, with all those bullets flying, and not me.
There were people screaming inside the classroom and outside, on the streets. Policemen giving orders, drug dealers swearing a lot, and all those machine gun (I guess) noise. A pregnant student (only 16!) fainted, and one of my students, called Paulo crawled to help her.
It was over quickly, I guess. Only 3 or 4 minutes. A policeman knocked the door and I opened. He told us it was unsafe to be there, and that we should go away.
Outside, there was blood and two bodies. People were screaming that policemen came shooting with no warning (they usually do that). Well…I went away as I was told. Now I’m here, safe in my bedroom, far away from the “favela” (slum) where I teach, typing this. Unfortunately, my students can’t go away, because they live there. The fear did not catch me yet, I guess. I still can’t believe it happened to me. I’m just worried about all my students, because as I drove off, I could hear some shooting again.
Tsc…I could have been killed today. And still…tomorrow I will do the same (although elsewhere. I teach only once a week in a given place). I wonder if I will wake up shaking, today. Heard that some people have late fear reactions. I feel just numb and very, very tired.
Maybe I should be sleeping, right now, but I can’t. Guess I’ll be online for a while, until sleep gets me.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Eduardo, you write beautifully—so full of heart and love for these students. If I were you, I would keep a journal, in Portuguese or English, recording the important moments. I wouldn't be surprised if someone published it. I would, if I were a publisher.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
((((Eduardo))))

Coming back down after a shooting is not easy. And it can take a few days for the reaction to set in. Deep breathing, counting corners, and reading Shakespeare aloud can help.

You are courageous. Keep posting, if it helps. You're in my prayers.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

My supervisor just called me. The classroom where I was today will be closed until further notice. It seems the police is chasing some big name drug dealer over there.
Up to now there are "only" two dead persons. Both of them are drug dealers. It seems none of my students are hurt.

Oh, yeah! The pregnant girl I told you about went to the hospital. It seems she may deliver her baby, tonight. :-)

aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Death and life. <<<<<<Eduardo Sauron>>>>>> Isn't life amazing?
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Its amazing for the ones still alive, I guess.
Sorry. I'm a little depressed, today.

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Just an update, if you are interested at all: my student gave birth to a healthy girl. My supervisor just phoned. :-)
Raia
Member # 4700

That's WONDERFUL!

Congratulations! [The Wave]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
You're a good man, Eduardo. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.