FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Chilly Winter Weather

Author Topic: Chilly Winter Weather
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Winters are harsh and unkind. I spent part of my degree-earning life living in very unfavorable climates. The springs were nice. The education was on par with the best. But, the summers were incredibly hot, humid. Unbearable. The Winters were worse. Hardly a month went by that didn't soar into the 50s "optimistic shorts-wearing" weather only to return to diving dips into freezing regimes.

When it comes to choosing where you spend your time, climate is an important factor.

fallow

[ March 21, 2004, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: fallow ]

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you live, fallow?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Southern California, why?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
::sniff::

Poor fallow, having to endure southern california.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

oh no. not enduring.

hardly!

SoCal rocks steady. Many places rock equally as well. Ann Arbor was a cozy warm community, but it was also cold as the proverbial witche's teat, for far too much of the bulk of a beautiful academic year.

fallow

knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, come on. Michigan isn't going to kill anybody. Specially since the thumb doesn't get hardly any snow.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

michigan is a beautiful place. ann arbor, in particular, is a brilliant place to be.

It's one of a pretty large collection of places to find a good education and meet new and interesting folks.

falow

fallow
Member # 6268

not to mention frigid weather!

[Angst] <- anxious about frigidity

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
*looks out the window at blowing snow*

[Cry]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
*looks out the window at the SAND*

I don't want to hear anything from ANYONE else now.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I think sand and snow are on par with one another.

It's MARCH!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, okay. Let's see you burn your flesh on your SNOW in MARCH. I think it was 95 yesterday here.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Why can't there ever be a happy medium!
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, climate has always been my number one criterion for excellence in higher education. Richard Feynman had it right when he moved from Cornell to Cal Tech. My sis went off to Cambridge to law school and she's never been the same since. I think the snow and ice there must have scored her soul. [Smile]

All those other things matter too, I guess, but pretty much every form of educational excellence is set off to best advantage against a backdrop of warmth and sunshine. [Smile]

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
ak, I thought Feynman moved from Princeton to Caltech? (maybe Cornell was in between?) My dad knew him in both places . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.