FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any Word on Hatrack Fantasy Baseball for '04?

Author Topic: Any Word on Hatrack Fantasy Baseball for '04?
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a thread about it a while back and am wondering if anything came of it. I enjoyed Fantasy Football the past two years and would love to try out baseball.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

- posted      Profile for Don Driscoll   Email Don Driscoll         Edit/Delete Post 
There were several attempts to get a league going, but we never got a critical mass of people together. Last year's league was composed of about equal parts regular players, occasional visitors, and non-participants. It was quite frustrating as one of the regulars to see good players wasted (and unavailable!) and many rosters with empty spots on it.

I think a few people went off and joined other leagues, but nothing ever materialized here. I never got around to finding another league, so I'm still up for it if we can get enough people to join up. It doesn't make sense to join if you aren't going to check in at least weekly, though, so it may be hard to get the dozen or so people together.

Don

Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Thanks for the info, I'm bumping this w/hopes that interest will stir up a league but if not, I have other leagues I can join.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
I geuss I am too much of a newbie to know... but what is fantasie baseball? [Confused]
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

- posted      Profile for Don Driscoll   Email Don Driscoll         Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, you have a draft where you take turns picking players from real baseball. During the season, you get points based on how those players do in real life. How points are distributed depends on what kind of league you are in, but basically you get points if your pitchers pitch well and your batters bat well. Often this is separate from how well the team that player is playing on did, but it does depend in subtle ways. A player can't get RBIs if he doesn't have anybody to bat in, for example. Plus, what defines a "good" fantasy player is not necessarily what makes a "good" real player. It depends on what categories you've chosen to base your points on. Defense is awfully hard to base "points" on, but a darned important part of baseball.

I say that you need to check in once a week primarily because players get hurt, etc., so you need to make sure that all of your roster spots are filled. This is one of the more fun parts of fantasy baseball as you sometimes have to scramble to find a replacement either from the pool of unselected players or to convince one of your competitors to make a trade. In addition, you have a distinct advantage if you cycle pitchers in and out of your "starting rotation," based on when that pitcher is pitching in real life. Getting an extra start or two a week can be a real boost in raw categories like strikeouts, but it can also hurt you in average categories like ERA if your "extra" pitcher has a bad outing.

The real fun comes from ragging on the other managers, like if you just traded an ace pitcher for a rookie shortstop and then the pitcher gets hurt and your new shortstop has a career year. Trash talk is very important, but shouldn't be taken too seriously. It's better to play with people you know, so that they can tell when you are kidding (and so you have more ammo against them), but it's hard to find a dozen people in the same place who like baseball these days. [Frown]

Anyhow, it would be fun to play, even if we didn't get many "seasoned vets" to play, as long as people were active.

Don

Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

It's not a newbie thing. Fantasy Baseball is like any other fantasy sport, you join up w/friends and draft yourself a team w/a player at each position (and bench players in some leagues)w/depth as well, and you play one another. What the players do directly translates to the points you earn. In Baseball, my leagues have always been total points, but in fantasy football leagues, you're teams play eachother each weeks (w/your points coming from the productivity of your players on that given week, a RB may earn a point for every 10 yards rushing, another point for every 10 yards receiving, 6 pts for a TD, and an additional point or 1/2 of a point for a catch).

No newbie thing, just a fantasy thing for sports junkies w/gambling or competitive needs that must be sated through somewhat dorky means [Wink] .

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.