FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Science Symposium Mafia [Post a profile on greNME by April 4th] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Science Symposium Mafia [Post a profile on greNME by April 4th]
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Who can play?

Anyone! You don’t have to know the first thing about mafia or science (though logical deduction may be useful [Wink] ). The more people that play the more fun it is.

How do I play?

Here’s a FAQ, I’ll update with a little more specific rules when we start up, but this should explain all the general stuff.

As for getting started, at some point I will post a profile thread, at which point you should follow the instructions I put there. It’ll be simple, something like a couple paragraphs or so, enough so that we know something about you.

When is it?

I’ve GMSed (GreNME Messaging System) Leto and I’m hoping he’ll let us use his forum again, if so, we should get going right away. If not, we’ll try and make other arrangements. I’ll tell you when I get more details.

However, if not enough people sign up, the game is getting scrapped. I’d like at least 15 and more would be better, I haven’t decided on a cut off point, but I seriously doubt that less than 13 players would make a game.

What’s the theme again?

Science Symposium. Scientists from all time periods have gathered together for a big (you guessed it) symposium. All the giants are here, Galileo, Newton, Einstein. You can be any scientist, living or dead. Hopefully one successful enough for the rest of us to have heard of him or her. If you have an idea for someone but want to make sure it’s OK, feel free to GMS or e-mail me.

Sounds great, what now?

For now, sit tight and maybe grab a few others to play. I’m not sure if we’ll actually have enough players, and I’m going to be mighty disappointed if the only two games I’ve tried to start both get scrapped for lack of interest (though I’d recognize it as being my fault this time for starting up so soon after another game).

[EDIT: for title]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ March 23, 2004, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in. I haven't played mafia before so I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into, but it sounds kinda fun.

I guess I'll have to sign up to this GreNME forum.

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to take charge and make this start, Hobbes! [Smile] (Though I definitely hope Strongbad Mafia, Discworld Mafia, and Harry Potter Mafia don't get forgotten. I want to play them all!)

I'm in, and I'll see if any of my roommates want to play. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Indeed, should Leto (John) let us play there, everyone will need to be signed up on greNME. The easiest way to get there, follow my link to the FAQ (above post) and then navigate from there. There is no real home page at greNME as of right now.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
i'll play.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

That makes 3. [Smile] It would be nice if people who wanted to play posted here, so I know if I should put more effort into this or if not enough people are going to sign up.

Hobbes [Smile]

Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in. I call dibs on Steven Hawking.
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Good call, I almost reserved him for being a mod but instead, Wolfram is all mine. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

St. Yogi
Member # 5974

Oh! Are we calling dibs already? Alright.

Hm.. Tough one. I'm thinking either Einstein or Newton.

I'll take Einstein

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

If anyone wants to play but either doesn't want to come up with a scientest, or don't think they can, I'm more than happy to suggest one.

4 players.

Hobbes [Smile]

Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I make up a scientist?
Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Hmmm... I'd really prefer you didn't. I'd like to have scientest whose theories I can refer to. If you have already thought up a whole lot of stuff on the charecter you can e-mail me. Heck, perhaps you unkownly described a scientest who already exists and you just didn't know about them.

Hobbes [Smile]

St. Yogi
Member # 5974

I was going to be Ughagh. The guy(caveman) who came up with the theory of rocky hardness.

Basically the theory states that: Rock meets head equals OUCH!

Hobbes
Member # 433

I think I'll put a limit of no scientest that came before Greece. [Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

St. Yogi
Member # 5974

Yeah, I guess it would be kinda obvious if Newton's death goes like this:

Newton walks down the street. Suddenly, a rock hits him in the head.

"Ouch!" he exclaims. A faint grunting sound can be heard in the distance as he falls to the ground, dead.

skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I'm changing to Maryan Woodhouse. I think that's her name. The one who dug up the fossils. I think we need more science babes.

[ March 22, 2004, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: skrika03 ]

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I be Nicola Tesla? (Did I even spell that right? Is that even the right name? *goes off to make sure* [Wink] )

This shall be an interesting game for a humanities/music major like myself trying to be a scientist... [Razz]

Edit: Yeah, that's the right one, though I think you spell Nikola with a 'k'. [Smile]

[ March 22, 2004, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: hansenj ]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I was wondering when someone was going to pick up Tesla! [Cool]

Eratosthenes is fine. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

skrika03
Member # 5930

You'll let us know when you get the green light from Grenme, right?
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Right, I GMSed Leto right before I posted this thread (10:30am this morning EST) and as of this moment have not heard back. Leto is doing a ridiculous amount of things right now and his time isn't exactly plentiful enough as to respond instantly to every request so I'm not sure when I will hear back but hopefully within a day or so.

Hobbes [Smile]

HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to give it a shot. Dibs on Gauss.
Posts: 154 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. And I get crazy old Tycho Brahe.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
Needless to say, I am there. It is a really fun game, I mean really fun. I wonder what position I will get this time...
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vera
Member # 2094

- posted      Profile for Vera   Email Vera         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I play? I've never played mafia before, but I would love to play either Rosalin Franklin or Kerry Mullis.
Posts: 96 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were going to play, which I probably shouldn't, I would be Jane Goodall.

So, to save me time, someone else should be Jane Goodall and I'll live vicariously through you. [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Or you could play... [Kiss]

I'm actually doing this in part because last time I modded I found I actually spent less time online. It think I figured out why that was, but the point is that is was. [Cool]

Vera, of course you can play!

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Leto has given the go ahead, but hasn't yet set it up. However, it's a go ahead. [Smile] I'll post again when the forums ready and I post the profile thread there.

Hobbes [Smile]

kinglear
Member # 6211

- posted      Profile for kinglear   Email kinglear         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never played Mafia before,, but after reading the faq, I think I'd like to try it out. so sign me up if the offers still open.

stupid Question: Do political scientists count? I'm guessing no....

Posts: 100 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

Politicial scientists- Only if you want to get murdered the very first day, I imagine.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have three questions.

• When will this be, exactly?
  • If I do play, will Pat kill me?
  • Can I dibs Madame Marie Sklodowska Curie?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

Yay, Rivka is playing! Pat can only kill you if he plays. Or do you mean because you didn't play the last one?
rivka
Member # 4859

I might play. Scheduling could be a problem.

And yeah, I mean kill me because I didn't play LHotP Mafia.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't gone and signed up yet, but I would like to play.

Can I play Zephram Cochrane? I know that he is imaginary, but you can still reference what he supposedly did (invented the Star Trek warp drive).

Barring that, I would like to be Bohr.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Is the other game over yet?
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

No on the political scientest, sorry. [Frown]

"When will this be, exactly?" Soon, really, really soon.

And yes on the reservation. [Smile]

I think Bohr would be better.

Leto, indeed it is. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

kinglear
Member # 6211

- posted      Profile for kinglear   Email kinglear         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, no politcal scientist for me,,

I'll be Faraday!

Posts: 100 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick the Starfish
Member # 6365

- posted      Profile for Patrick the Starfish           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll play, just so I can kill rivka.

Who's rivka?

Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Done and done, Hobbes. Rock on, dude.
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Sweetness, John, you're great. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I'll play, just so I can kill rivka.

Who's rivka?

So I'm dead to you, is that it? [Cry]
Patrick the Starfish
Member # 6365

You lost me at "I can't play your mafia game, but I can play this one."
Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

And we're up and running!

Hobbes [Smile]

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it too late to join? I have only ever played "conventional" Mafia, never Hatrack style. Up till now I have been too intimidated to join.

I am amazed by the number of first timers volunteering for this one! I guess I was feeling the vibes. If it's not too late, would you put me down as Alexander Graham Bell?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Go to the above link, everyone has until April 4th to register. [Smile]

Quick clarification: posting a profile is the same as registering, you can't play if you don't post a profile.

Have questions about what I plan on doing through out the game? Check out my rules [Smile] .

Hobbes [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
You lost me at "I can't play your mafia game, but I can play this one."
Not so fast, Pat. Looks like I can't, actually. I won't be online at all April 6&7 (and mighty little 4&5) or the 12&13. So I guess I'm not playing this one either.

Anyway, I really did want to play LHotP, but I had too much hanging over me. Thank God, I have taken care of several of the more ominous ones. [Smile]

Ok, I guess I un-dibs Madame Curie. [Frown]

Hobbes
Member # 433

If you post a profile before the game starts at any point, being gone for that long is fine Rivka. Play? Please?

Choosing a charecter

Hobbes [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, just so Pat can have his chance to kill me. [Wink]

Since that means I'm going to die very shortly after the game begins, I would like to insist that anyway referring to me during the course of the game uses my full character name: Madame Marie Sklodowska Curie. Please don't forget my maiden name -- it really bugs the heck out of me. [Big Grin]

Hobbes
Member # 433

I don't think Pat is playing actually. But if he is... yay! [Big Grin]

And yay for you playing! [Big Grin] [Group Hug]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ March 24, 2004, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Patrick the Starfish
Member # 6365

Yes, rivka -- being away from two days can be easily overcome -- just ask celia... or me.

And again, I'm just kidding.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.