FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Music Question

Author Topic: A Music Question
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
I got thinking about this because of the Dashboard Confession thread.

Why do people(me included) feel like they have to justify what music they like? I was writing a post saying why DC whining is different from other whining, when I realized it wasn't, it just didn't annoy me so much. I do the same thing with other bands, who I KNOW suck, and continue to listen to anyway.

So why do we do that? Is it a human nature thing, or what?

And why, when we find someone loves a band we hate, do we try to talk them out of liking it?

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
1) I am a complete music snob. I can talk musicology with the Schenkerian weenies, harmony with the post-Schönberg theorists, and interpretation with any wanker stupid enough to listen. I prefer my pianos with Pythagorean temperament. I can't listen to anything tonal without inscribing the figured bass in my mental picture. Yet...

2) De gustibus non est disputandum. Period.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
There are certain types of music I hate. Country, a lot of rap, etc.

But in general, something a friend said once really struck me, and I agreed with him. He said (or at least the jist of what he said) that as long as the music makes someone happy, it's not bad and you shouldn't dis someone for listening to it.

I hate country and rap.

But I'm not forced to listen to it, and I'm glad it makes other people happy.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I like a lot of music, but, for some reason, to me, Classical music is the closest to the divine we can get.

Science can explain a lot of things about people, even morals, but they'll never be able to explain how classical music manages to blend mathematical structure and the human soul so effortlessly.

At least, I hope so.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
We probably try to talk people into liking the things we like because it helps us feel that our feelings are valid. I think when it comes to music, different things appeal to different people. I have very strong tastes, but I try not to inflict them on others who don't like the music I do. I expect the same from them. (This means quit turning your stereo up so loud that my car shakes! Do you want me blasting Bach at you?)
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Science can explain a lot of things about people, even morals, but they'll never be able to explain how classical music manages to blend mathematical structure and the human soul so effortlessly.
The brain is complex, but it's not magic. At a high level, we already know a lot about how the balance between contextual memories and variations creates aethetic responses.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha!! (hugs this thread, and CM's reply)

I take a lot of flak from my friends for listening to not much other than 80's music, James Taylor, Weezer, The Wallflowers, and gag music like Weird Al. I like other music, I listen to other individual songs, and I'm getting kind of tired of having to apologize for my taste all the time. Or at least having to mention it. Garg.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, music is something of value. Not being a fan of rap, I don't see the value in most of it, especially the more debasing, incoherent artists. On the other hand, I do like Eminem because I think he has a message, albeit sometimes controversial. I try not to think bad of people whose musical tastes are different than my own, but a lot of times those are the people who make fun of my tastes which are pretty random and don't necessarily coincide with my intellect or musical inclinations.

What I think I'm getting at is you shouldn't feel like you have to defend your taste in music. "It works for me" should be sufficient. Obviously a person listens to a certain type of music because they find value in it, despite what other people think. It's one of those things that I just don't even try to argue about. If i'm in someone's car, and they're listening to music I don't prefer, I just deal. And if they're in my car, they will deal with my music. If they can't handle that, they can find another means of transportation. However, I don't deliberately play music I know someone doesn't like, especially on long car trips. I would go nuts if it happened to me.

How's that for contradiction? [Smile]

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
There are many types of music I don't like. Some of these are very good. I could also use the rap example. I don't listen, but I understand why some people do. On the other hand, alot of it is just crap (just as any other style of music, 90% of it is not worth listening to). I despise Michael Jackson, but I have to admit that he does (or did) have a genius for catchy pop tunes. I always make an effort to tell the difference between things I don't like and things that are truly not good. It's not always easy, but usually if I'm honest with myself, I see it.

I have also frequently been in the position of finding myself liking something that by all logic, I should hate. I've given up trying to justify myself. If I want to like a sappy love song that plays on the radio five gazillion times a day, that's my business. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Whistles atonally to self while browsing music selection:

Gregorian chants - check
Chopin - check
Iron Maiden - check
Mozart - check
Celtic - check
Dixie Chicks - check
Metallica - check
Cowboys With Attitude - check
80's wave - check
Willie Nelson - check
Rick Springfield - where is it, where is it? [Cry] OMG! It's gooonnnneeeee!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Which reminds me -- I've GOT to get that CD that dkw played when we were visiting at her home.... what was the name of it again? Oink? Grunt? something piggy...... the barnyard gregorian chants....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Usually I people tend to ignore or like whatever I put on.

But occasionally, I just have to throw on something to challenge them and their little square-peg view of music.

He he.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Grunt: Pigorian Chant from Snouto Domoinko De Silo
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to high school in Oklahoma. At the school dances, to keep things balanced, they would play 50% country and 50% non-country. That's right. Every form of popular music was categorized as "non-country". I don't know how they did it, but the country lobby must have been pretty powerful.

Being the obnoxious teenager I was, having country music foisted upon me made me hate it. Years later, I find that I really enjoy some of it. I haven't gotten into it much, and I couldn't even name a dozen current country artists, but it is something that I could get into some time.

Over the last few years I *have* gotten into bluegrass. I might even get the opportunity to join a bluegrass band sometime in the near future! And yes, I have tried to share it with others. I really don't believe that it is to validate my feelings (like I care), but I think it's because I want to share something that I enjoy. Just like if you find a great book/movie/resturaunt, you want to share it with others. Or at least I do.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks dkw!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have that Grunt cd! *feels kinship*

-------
Okay, that's why we try to talk other people into having the same musical taste.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the Blooming of the Tonic, in Schenkerian analysis. We didn't spend a lot of time specifically on that though in Music Theory.

I liked Counterpoint the best I think, loved the rules and math involved.

Btw the rules (and yes there are lots of rules) for composing classical music were developed by trial and error, but with modern science we've found they are almost all directly rooted in mathematical acoustics.

AJ

[ March 23, 2004, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.